VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Microphone Roundup - Your faves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the 416 club. Been using it for 7 or so years and I've never had a single issue. Good known sound, built like a tank, easy to travel with. I have a Warm Audio WA87 for the situation that requires a more intimate read than the 416 can effectively deliver. Don't use it much though.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My current collection is a Rode NTK, Senn MKH415 and a Langevin CR3A.
I float between the Rode and Langevin mostly. The Rode has that tube thing going for it and the Langevin is FET. A bit brighter than the tube. The 415 works for anything and is my primary backup.

I'd love a vintage 47 or 67 or a Sony C800. $$ is what I need if I was to buy one of these 3. I listened to a session in the early 80s in Nashville that a singer was using that C800 with a Neve Pre and it was magical. Trivia: Hendrix recorded various sessions with a C800 in the 60s.

What my music engineer friends (who mix legends of rocknroll) have always pointed out to me is Pres rule. I trust their judgement. So I made the investment with a Neve Portico. Recently switched to a 5015 from the 5032 because Neve lost my 5032 in shipping from servicing. Angry so they replaced it with a 5015. Same preamp only this one has a compressor instead of eq.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use the 416 for pretty much everything. i have an AT 4050 that i like too, but it, primarily, sits on the shelf.

George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fun topic!

i use a lauten audio atlantis for almost everything and it runs through a warm audio TB12 preamp. love that combination.

i also use a 416 for more "hype-sounding" reads and it packs great as a travel mic.

a u87 is on my perpetual wish list but cost justification just isn't there.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all the mics I've loved before...

Really liked my old CAD E100s but it got noisy after four years.
Same thing with my Studio Projects CS5, after about three years.

Right now, I'm all-Rode going straight into a SSL 2 (best interface I've had and it's CHEAP). Close to an Apollo in quality for $229. Doesn't come with all the plugins but the Vocal Strip plugin it comes with does the job if needed. The de-plosive is a really nice feature on it.

Oh, yeah, mics...
Got an NT1 a few years ago and still love it.
Got a NTG3 and I like it. It's really bottom heavy. Needs a lot of EQ to sound like a 416, but it's do-able. The mid/top end sounds just like a 416.
Recently. got a Rode Procaster and it's going to be my go-to for long format. Sounds like a SM7b but a little brighter. Problem is it's low output. So I got a FetHead for that and it fixed the gain issues. Wish Rode just increased the output and charged $80 more in the first place. Also, it needs an additional pop filter, but is fine once you add one. The way the Podcaster fits in a mix is lovely. Did a test yesterday with TWO leafblowers outside and the AC going the noise floor was -65 dB and the level peaks were -7 dB, averaging at -12 dB. No noise reduction.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance, get a Cloud Lifter for the Rode Podcaster you will find the levels are better as the USB does not have enough power.

The FET head also works well as I see you already found out.

A notch filter on the NTG3 works well and shapes the sound easily.

F2
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank!

I watched some comparison videos of the Cloudlifter and the FET Head.
This is what I saw that made me go with the FET Head:

The Cloudlifter was 'smoother' sounding, especially in the highs, but I liked the more forward presence sound through the FET Head.

I didn't want to have to use a second cable for the Cloudlifter. I just park the FET Head into the back of my SSL2.

The FET Head has 2 dB more gain, and is $50 cheaper.

But I would have been happy with either of them. My long term eLearning client loves the sound of the Procaster, so that's all that matters. I went with the Procaster over the Broadcaster because the Broadcaster sounds more like a true condenser and picks up the room and ambient noise. I got the Procaster for when the Atlanta Airport sends every west-bound flight over my house. With the Procaster it doesn't register on the noise floor at all.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 416 user here. I first became acquainted with it when a studio where I have recorded for decades, almost always with a U-87, used a 416 one time. I was blown away by how good it sounded and vowed I would get one some day. Eventually, I finally did.
Other mics I have include an RE-20 that I lent to a friend to record his audiobook. Eventually I will retrieve it, but I haven't used it for many years. I also have a Harlan Hogan VO 1-A. That was my everyday mic until I replaced it with the 416. It is surprisingly good for the price. I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded MXL 2006, which you can probably get for significantly less. My travel mic is another MXL: the V67N. Again, a surprisingly good mic for not much more than $100. It's about the size of a cigar and I use it as my travel mic on those rare occasions that I travel.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm flipping my two mics a couple times a day, now. The workhorse for almost 15 years has been my 416, but back in April I took a chance and bought a new mic. Both are run through an Apollo Twin using the Manely VoxBox plugin.

Earlier this year, I sold my backup mic to it's original owner. It was a beautiful 1969 U87. I was keeping it to use in my future dream studio where the booth would have been big enough to let the mic truly shine. Since that wasn't going to happen anytime soon, I let it go with the promise to sell it back to me if the time ever comes. That left me without a back up and the need for a mic that would work in a 4x4 booth and have the qualities of a Neumann. Enter the Microtech Geffel UMT70s.

I've been told the is a lot smoother than the 416 and sits neatly in the mid pocket for commercial and narration. So much so, the engineers at Nat Geo have asked me to ditch the 416 and use the Geffel from now on.

Here's a quick clip of it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtFxKSH21Qw
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just a drop in the bucket compared to youse guys. But sheesh, I like mics.

Standard fave is my 416. Also have the ME66. As mentioned earlier it's a bit bass light. The 416 is very adaptable to proximity and deserves its place.

Did an ACX book some time back using 416. Never again.... Cuts through too much for that; once I started I couldn't go back and if I want to torture myself like that again I'd bust out the Sony C48 I've had for 30+ years... warm & soft on top and much more appropriate for that application. Another alternative there would be the TLM102 for its warm bottom and smooth top.

For a change I might use my MD421 I've had for 40 years (yea radio).

Pre of choice is the SafeSoundAudio Tracking Toolbox.

Others I've picked up along the way include the original Rode NT1, AT4033 and a ****load more. Like I said, I like mics.

Now, if I only had half the talent of you all... Rolls Eyes

dwpthe3rd
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

416? Love it some days, hate in others. Can never really figure why. Only use it for lotto voice promo work.

U87 - Got a beauty modded by Klaus and it's my go to for anything commercial. Through the Fearn VT1, it's magical.

Soyuz 017 FET - For Long form, E-Learning etc.I find it's truly outstanding. Learnt to give it a little EQ to reduce the tubbiness. My fave for Emma's voice by a mile.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this could be fun.... Found a friend who is about 6 hours away who has a Sony C-800 and the Stam SA-800. Going to be putting these BOTH through their respective paces and compare apples to apples when I get back to the city.

Moving 253 head of cattle to the winter range is not as easy as it sounds and the Ranch Hands go with them this week - if it doesn't snow any more.

F2
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, one thing i will be adding to the collection of things to try out and put through the paces is a U87 clone build. i just finished collecting all of the parts that i needed and can't wait to carve out some time to dive into the build process. it may end up not being as good as the genuine article but the draw of building something is just too strong to resist sometimes. (:
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, my "clone drones" sound great as compared to the real thing. They are a little louder and with the right pre are just as present as my U87.

If you are handy with a soldering iron and an oscilloscope it will take you about three hours.

Give us an example of the result when you are finished. We wait to hear the results.

Frank
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man! i USED to know how to drive an oscilloscope - i don't think there's any way i remember today. oh well ... there's probably an app.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: