VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A non-ceiling ceiling microphone mount
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: A non-ceiling ceiling microphone mount Reply with quote

So I have been watching for a good quality ceiling mic mount for several people on this forum. As of today, an in-expensive version is not available or has limitations.

As an alternative I have been noticing a pole mount similar to a desktop monitor stand which can be easily adapted for a microphone - this concept works. As a variation, a 1.5" PVC pipe with a friction adapter/reducer which will help it reach from floor to ceiling will also work. A piece of wood cut with a hole saw to fit the top pipe and a hose clamp will hold a desktop boom arm.

A floor-to-ceiling lamp pole will also work and can easily be modified with adapters for a microphone boom... no tripod, tiny footprint, strong, cheap, etc. or this floor to ceiling laundry pole would also work: https://www.homedepot.com/p/67-91-Free-Standing-Cheetah-Laundry-Pole-Set-of-2-FI2054L2/301888173 or this: https://www.ebay.com/c/16004498407

It is McGuyver-ed, but it is easy and inexpensive. Paint it any color you wish. And if necessary a piece of round plastic or wood on the floor and ceiling or furniture coasters will protect and isolate the pole from the ceiling and floor. No marks.

OK, here is the alternative which inspired this post: https://www.vio-zon.com/col.jsp?id=163 n although amazon does not have this piece available at the moment... I used it for inspiration only.

Get creative!

F2
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But where would I attach a second mic?
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the floor space you cleaned up for the pole Lee.

F2
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like it, frank. with a simple friction mount, you could have multiple mics on multiple arms and swing one out of the way while using the other. also - you could go all "steam punk" and make everything out of steel.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooo, steam punk mic boom arms.

Now we are talkin'.

F2
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

super intrigued by this idea. i might need to implement it somehow! i would LOVE to have both of my mics on stands on a pole that can just be moved out of the way instead of having two stands taking up space.

yes, i'm that lazy. (:
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No George not "lazy", just efficient.

The laundry pole concept is as easy as pie. Screw a piece of wood onto the "arms" to mount the desktop boom arm clamp and off you go. One of the laundry poles I saw has four "arms" and a couple of other hooks which can be raised, lowered, or rotated as necessary. Cost for two poles: under $40.00 USD.

A couple pieces of "hook and loop" fasteners wrapped around the pole keep your cables neat,

And if you really need to; a laptop mount (or keyboard tray) can be purchased (or created) to place your laptop on the tree pole for real space saving efficiency.

Be creative!

F2
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adding to the budget - get one of these clamp it to a short jib off the pole and attach your mic of choice.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lest we not forget, here is a homemade articulating ceiling mount which is easily adaptable for a microphone (although you will need some tools and some time to create it): https://www.instructables.com/Articulated-Utility-Arm/

The above was made for a wood shop camera, but I think a little creativity could adapt this for a microphone. Yes, it is big but you do not need to make it this large if you do not desire.

F2
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a fancy drill press, you can get the parts with the holes pre-drilled.

Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee for the win!

F2
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those purists whom must have a "designated professional" anything; there is a Manfrotto version of the laundry pole One (1) for $58.69 and no hangy thingies.

You may see it here: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546478-REG/Manfrotto_170_170_Single_Spring_Loaded.html

Edit: The reason I mention this product is someone (from a large unamed company - name withheld to keep them from suing me) sent me an email saying the Laundry Pole is not a professional item and would not hold up under usage.

I confirmed, the "pole" has exactly the same specs although it is not chrome, it should do fine for my use.

FF
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not discount iron pipe fittings. 1/2" or larger pipe on ceiling-anchored flanges can mount upside-down mic stand/booms very easily.
Prime-n-Paint to taste.
GIBRALTAR, a drum-hardware company makes a killer baby-mafer clamp that has a mic-thread mount.

options
https://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-MMMC-Multi-Mount-Microphone/dp/B005SUS2ES

https://www.filmtools.com/2mmicmoun.html
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the design I have in my booth...with the mention of steam punk, I had to share.

Wanted to have as little on the floor as possible, so it's metal pipes mounted on the roof. Those are actually drum kit clamps/pieces that are holding the microphone arms.

Ignore my messy cables...doing a bit of reshuffling.

The nice thing is that with a bit of adjustment, you can still essentially have the mics cover any part of the room with a long enough arm.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z0c7nngn2jcmiql/IMG_5858.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eietbtbg469khw7/IMG_5859.JPG?dl=0
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matto,

All you need is a little rust to make it real steam punk... I like it!

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: