VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Consensus: the term "Client"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Consensus: the term "Client" Reply with quote

"Client:" In our context, the new Oxford American Dictionary defines it as: "a person or organization using the services of a lawyer or other professional person or company." Merriam-Webster's definition: "a person who engages the professional advice or services of another."

Even though they approved us as voice-over talent for their project(s), is it accurate to refer to companies that did not directly engage (hire) us as clients?

Jason Huggins
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the question is, "Can we claim a client on a client list that we worked for through a production company?" I personally would say yes, because ultimately that company chose you (usually). e.g. I worked for Starbuck's but I worked DIRECTLY with a company that worked with Starbuck's...but it is still my voice on the project.

The company did pay you and they did pick you even if there was a middle man doing a lot of other parts of the project.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a couple of rare cases of slow paying middlemen I have gone to the end client requesting pay and it's worked every time, so I feel they're clients.

It's a teeny tiny bit of a squidgy point as to who's the client when there's a middleman (company). I guess you could go with the totally honest, "I've voiced projects for these fine companies: yadda yadda" and not make a deal about who wrote the check you received.

I did a video narration for Tide detergent years ago and it was basically a plant tour introduction, cautioning people to not fall into the vats of detergent or you'll drown in a bubbly froth (or something like that). Now I could say I'm a voice of Tide, but that's stretching it just a bit. Wink

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here who is able to show me their recognised professional industry qualification may refer to those engaging them as clients.

As you all know we have Voiceseekers and hope to become the Voicesought.

In Law, those without qualifications are Paralegals. Those unqualified to find us work (the majority) henceforth are Parasites. Voice Over Managers who simply use Information Technology now have their own "organisation", we have OAV, they have VOMIT.

Hope that clears things up.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welp, now you're going to have to pay them 10% for using their acronym.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic has come up before. The term client in reference to those who hire vo talent became the vernacular for the majority of vo actors with the internet. Those in the major markets, agents, CDs, etc., and union players use the term buyer.

Before the internet vo actors did indeed use the term client, but it was in reference to an ongoing contracted gig, such as being the commercial brand voice for a product, the promo voice of a network, etc. The word client had lots of clout and put the actor a notch above the rest.

Today the industry has caught on to the value, or lack there of with the term client, as well as brand logos on the actor's website. Both client or a logo could mean you booked national commercial or did their voicemail. So when an actor is seeking representation in a major market, they are often rejected because of their use of client in their marketing. It just takes a couple of phone calls to ad agencies and CDs for the agent to learn these clients did not hire the actor for the kind of gig that brings the kind of value that would impress the agent.

Now, rather than brand logos actual clips of past work are a better sell. The problem is, often the actual work that came from the client is not impressive. Again, doing the voicemail or e-learning for McDonalds is not going to impress the way a national commercial will. Since Covid I have been doing private coaching and one way actors spend their time with me is to review their marketing when seeking large agents. It's often their cover letter, the use of client/logos, etc., which is the issue. Also, I have pretty good relationships with many of the agents out there and can call and ask directly what turned them off about the actor's submission. It's like a broken record every time I hear, "OH, they used that word CLIENT" or "When I checked on some of their credits no one knew who the actor was."

The non union vo industry are some of the only actors in the entertainment industry who refer to those who hire as clients. Disney, WB, Netlfix, studios I do repeat business for every week are not my clients. MGM, who produces the James Bond films is not Daniel Craig's client. Mel Brooks who cast Nathan Lane and produced The Producers is not his client. But today's vo actor considers themselves to be in the service industry. Most other actors do not.

Now, the jobs I do with the companies listed above also come with screen credit. Many of today's vo gigs do not, which is probably one of the reasons today's e-generation uses the word client. Our credits go on our resume, IMDb page, etc. However, if we do a gig but are replaced, left of the cutting room floor, etc., we do not take credit for that credit.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I have "Virtual e-Hirers"
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could come up with my own responses, or I could just wait for Bob Bergen to do it, and do it better anyway.

And lo, it is done.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:

Now, the jobs I do with the companies listed above also come with screen credit. Many of today's vo gigs do not, which is probably one of the reasons today's e-generation uses the word client. Our credits go on our resume, IMDb page, etc. However, if we do a gig but are replaced, left of the cutting room floor, etc., we do not take credit for that credit.

You're speaking of just a couple of segments of the market Bob. TV and Theatrical. But historically no Union Corporate / Industrial work ever came with credits. No Union Commercials ever came with credits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: