VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone Patch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Phone Patch Reply with quote

I think my Gentner SPH10 has died. Caller voice is distorted - changed channels on my mixer and changed out cables...same thing. After 24+ years, I suppose it could be possible.

Anyone have a used JK Audio, Telos, Gentner or Comrex analog or digital hybrid they want to unload?

Every time I have tried to use Skype on my recording tower it has taken over my sound card. Of, course that was a long time ago, since my phone has been working, but now I am gun shy and technologically inept, so I am afraid of messing up my existing recording capabilities and not being able to do a job until I come back here and ask for help getting it back up. (I was trying to make that sentence even longer...)
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a look at what is available on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JK-Audio-Inline-Phone-Line-Patch-Telephone-Audio-Interface/274537209738?hash=item3febb15f8a:g:F0AAAOSwQF1figJA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolls-PI9-Phone-Patch-RJ11-to-RCA-or-1-8-inch-mini/193648960354?epid=1000340843&hash=item2d1660a362:g:sZoAAOSwxxpfUmBo

There area few others but not worth mentioning.

F2
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank - I already have that JK Audio unit on my watchlist.

Question - there is a big difference in the price between these two - what would be the downside to getting the $44 Rolls instead of the $99 (OBO) JK?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer: "...about $50.00". And, the Rolls PI9 is new.

The Rolls is a much smaller unit than the JK Audio., Since you are familiar with the JK - I would probably go for it.

The Rolls works very well, used one in my first home studio and was pleased. That said; the PI9 takes a signal from a standard telephone jack and,via transformer isolation, connects to a pair of RCA jacks, or a stereo 1/8" (3.5mm) jack. You may need to change your cables with the PI9.

Another suggestion is the $288.00 JK Audio Autohybrid Passive Telephone Audio Interface.

The Rolls works only with POTS lines. If you are on digital system - this will not work - period. I do not know about the JK Audio patch.

F2
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I really don't now anything about the JK - I just read about it and then found that one on eBay.

I like the idea of something new, but the Rolls has different connections and (as you say) it only works with POTS lines. I am pretty sure I have digital telephone through Cox. Comes through the cable. This information would have been something I never would have thought to ask! The only POTS lines I have had for years were the ISDN lines that just went bye-bye earlier this year.

I also have XLR cables aplenty. The current Gentner to Onyx setup uses XLR to XLR for Caller Out - and XLR to 1/4" for Send In.

The specs for the JK say - Works with Analog Telephones or any Cordless Telephone. Would it work?

One more edit! The Gentner is very old and works with my Cox phone, so I am sort of confused...
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Connie, it may and it may not. The JK specs say "analog phone line" (POTS) only. However, if the Gentner is/did work you might be able to use either the JK or the Rolls. All of them use a transformer circuit which is indicative of POTS lines.

I can only be safe to say it might be worth a call to Rolls and ask them.

I am thinking you did not upgrade your actual phone when you went to the cable system and with that it might work and it might not.

I do know FAX does not work on the cable system I have here. So, I do not know, Sorry not much help from the peanut gallery.

F2
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Panasonic desk phone that I got from Craig's list. And my newer Brother Fax machine DOES work with my Cable telephone signal.

I'll call them tomorrow and discuss. The eBay person for the JK is responding to questions, but may not know the answers.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the information I got from the seller

Quote:
Phone Line Connector is RJ11C, I'm not sure what you refer to when you say cox cable,
it's a standard telephone landline connector, it is not the handset connector but the plug that is in the wall, or in your case the plug that is on your VOIP box

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The plug is not the issue, it is how Cox's connection handles the calls.

Standard, old fashioned VOIP would use a router switch in the providers
system to make a connection to analog lines. That signal may again get switched to a digital connection to connect to a non-analog system. During the "switching" data tends to bunch up and get scrambled.

If your FAX works you are likely capable of using either of the Patches mentioned. My cable does numerous switches between here and the main office which tends to scramble data and make me go "mad" when hearing it on answering machines. You are lucky.

I guess the old adage of: "if you don't try, you don't get" applies here.

Happy patching Connie!
F2
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Telos phone hybrid for many years. But this year I started doing Zoom and Team links with clients who's creative teams are working from their homes.
It's an easy set up with your DAW and, in my case, clients prefer it to the phone patch since it lets them keep the phone line available and they prefer the clarity of the audio feed.
Simplest way to do this is to just open the app simultaneously with your DAW
session and configure the audio in/out settings on the app to whatever your DAW uses, then you're good to go.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I killed my ISDN which also doubled as a phone patch, I've been using my cellphone with headphones. Not one complaint. Want to hear a playback? I'd hold the phone up to my monitor. Easy peasy.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source Connect Now is free and easy for listening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: