VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another new microphone (my assessment).

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:07 pm    Post subject: Another new microphone (my assessment). Reply with quote

Soyuz 017 FET. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/017FET--soyuz-017-fet-large-diaphragm-condenser-microphone

Another GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) object?

One guy (on Gear Slutz) said it was like a 251 and a U87 had a baby with the proximity effect of a U47.

This mic uses torroidal transformers A friend, Mark Fauxman (the ribbon mic guy) uses these same transformers in his mics.

My personal assessment:

Not a big fan of lolipop mics for VoiceOverists, and it sounds very dark. Not a mic I would use on an Alto female or Tenor male voice. On a Bass this would be overwhelming, on a Soprano it would maybe soften some of the shrillness of such female voices.

In the world of VO this mic would not be effective. It is not versatile enough. Needs better clarity. And, for the price... not even close. An MXL would hold up better for the voice over environment.

It is pretty however, but functionality... meh.

Make your assessment and let me know what you think.

F2
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s interesting Frank. I must admit to a chronic, almost terminal case of GAS that’s afflicted me for at least 30 years.

This mic has peaked my interest though and even a lukewarm review from yourself has done nothing to assuage my curiosity!

My go-to for the last 6 years has been a KH modded U87 and while I’m super happy with it (my wife uses one too), there’s always the thought that something even more creamy and dreamy is lurking out there! Recently I’ve tried a U67 reissue; very nice, but no cigar; and a Chandler REDD; too scooped and not enough ooomph. There have been countless others over the years.

So, much as I respect your opinion, I’m still going to give one of these babies a run in the next couple of weeks. I do have reservations about the practicality of a bottle design for our purposes, but that’s easily overlooked if it’s got “that sound”. Will report back 🤓
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By no means is my "review" meant to be a no-no on this microphone.

I hope it gives you the sound you feel good with, please let us know your humble opinion (even with GAS).

If you have a chance try it out next to a Blue Baby Bottle SL or Spark SL. I think you might be surprised at the similarity and price difference.

Frank F
a.k.a.: F2
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's here Frank and I must say, on my voice, in my room, I think it's special - actually stellar!

Sounds absolutely amazing on Emma's voice too and more than holds it's own against my cherished KH U87. I find it crystal clear, super quiet, warm, fast and detailed; what's not to like? it's got massive low-mid authority; the top end has got a lovely silky sheen and I don't feel like it needs anything more than a touch of 10kHz and the usual HP filter to sound perfectly finished. Almost has a built in compressor, but it takes processing beautifully.

Just ordered a second one, so I think it's time to flog the Neumanns and call off the search. With this and a 416, you're covered.

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: