VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VoiceTalentNow.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VO-BB investigation team!

This is an interesting venture.
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My questions and their answers:

Quote:

Answers to your questions in red.

Hello,

Thank you! I'm grateful for the offer. Before returning the agreement, I would like to get some additional information, such as:

1) On average, how many spots per week (or per month) do talents receive? Some talent work 1-2 times per day, others work 1-2 times per month.

2) What payment schedule is used (per spot, weekly, monthly, etc.), and what method (PayPal, check, etc.)? Payment is sent via check usually within 30 days of the job date.

3) What promotional efforts are in place to drive additional traffic and customers to VoiceTalentNow? Our main promotional devices are sponsored links on the internet. We rank high for many search terms on Google, Yahoo, and MSN. We also have an existing client base of over 250 clients.

Still no names (I like to know who I'm talking to, and who's talking to me), plus they're pretty light with the courtesy. (Is a "hello" or a "thank you" too much to ask?)

As noted before, their sponsored links don't seem to show up very often.

Payment is sent "usually" within 30 days of the job date? How reassuring. The contract is heavy on strict rules for the talent, but devoid of anything that insures "the company" will pay on time or even provide regular work.

I think I'll pass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the fax number area code is in Northeastern Florida. They came up clean on the BBB site (no reports of them one way or another).

I got the same replies from them yesterday. We'll see if they call me back, because I'd like to know exactly where they're located. I feel funny about a company that won't give you their address.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without wishing to appear rude, how much of a fight are you going to put up to ensure that a site offering by the operators own admissions a maximum of two jobs per day at $20 each? I appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere but I would not encourage starting at the bargain basement as it is almost impossible to "ski uphill".

Chase the $1,000 jobs, even if they don't come as a result of your efforts the $100 jobs will find you. I think you're worth more, do you?
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold real estate for 10 years, and there were always sellers looking for an agent willing to work for a ridiculously low commission...as a newbie I fell for that a few times, but quickly found that such clients were usually difficult to work with and valued me less because I was willing to work so cheap and I also valued myself less in the process.

Even though I am new and really need to get some business, I agree with Banksey. Hold out for clients who realize that you always get what you pay for.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Without wishing to appear rude, how much of a fight are you going to put up to ensure that a site offering by the operators own admissions a maximum of two jobs per day at $20 each? I appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere but I would not encourage starting at the bargain basement as it is almost impossible to "ski uphill".

Chase the $1,000 jobs, even if they don't come as a result of your efforts the $100 jobs will find you. I think you're worth more, do you?

Always the level headed and direction driven motivator hey Phil! Wink Good points, but you have to admit... a little "CSI" or good 'ol sleuthing around makes for good entertainment! At least TV ratings in N. America seem to prove so Gasp

At the end of the day ladies and gentlement... it's simply another form of exposure and marketing, whether you get any gigs from them or not is kind of irrelevent at $20 / gig, but it's certainly not going to hurt to have your information posted on another site, you never know who may be looking.

Now... don't wait to BE found... go GET found! Smile

Cheers,

Brian
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:

At the end of the day ladies and gentlement... it's simply another form of exposure and marketing, whether you get any gigs from them or not is kind of irrelevent at $20 / gig, but it's certainly not going to hurt to have your information posted on another site, you never know who may be looking.
Brian

I kindly disagree Brian. Most people who started in voicetalking started because of the bags of money that may show up at their door, right? Do major league scouts come to t-ball (little league) games to watch for the next superstar? Probably very little if any, unless it's their own kid.

Do you think if Fox or CBS or BBC folks were surfing the web and stumbled into a voice on the site in question they would want to pay major league dollars to someone on this $20 per spot site? If so, they may only ever want to pay you $30 per spot.....very unlikely in my opinion. Plus, I bet these clients still ask for things to be re-voiced even at $20........sounds like a lot of "pain and frustration" to me. But some have to do what they feel they have to do.

Okay, the soapbox is gone.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys totally ran with the ball on this one!

My question when I started this thread was:

Quote:
What are your standards for joining voiceover marketing websites? How do you separate the legit ones from the "scams"?

Would you say the answer is to make some inquiries via email or phone like dhouston67 did and gage their response?

You know, a sticky thread that shows the results of investigating products & services like this (as long as it's positive, informative, and factual) would be a HUGE help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhouston67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:

Only problem there is, the talent's full names aren't listed with their demos, and there's no other individual talent contact info. The only "exposure" one apparently gets is as a semi-anonymous voice in VTN's list.

Not to mention that you have to be locked in with them for a year, and provide lightning-quick turnaround at ridiculous wages. There are enough places to market yourself online without the red flags; you don't have to be on every site, just the right ones. Like, oh, say...here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:

I kindly disagree Brian.

I welcome your disagreement Wink and raise you a misunderstanding Rolls Eyes

I think that you may have misinterpreted my meaning, I say go for it and promote yourself on as many sites as you want, the little fish grow your experience and comfort level and begin to build you into a bigger fish that will be more employable... however the key line in my comment is what I think you missed

"Now... don't wait to BE found... go GET found!"

If you wait for clients to find you on these sites, good luck, it's going to be a long and lonely wait... you have to market yourself actively and not just possively!

I call...
dhouston67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
Would you say the answer is to make some inquiries via email or phone like dhouston67 did and gage their response?

This exercise has confirmed for me that if you have to go digging this deep on a company in the first place, it's probably not worth joining with them.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the common use of email faxing, fax numbers have no longer have any bearing on the user's geographical location.

regarding sticky threads: sometimes spelunking is superior means of finding out what you need to know.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of the newest of newbies, I would like to express my humble opinion.

One of the things that many emphasize on this board is to practice, practice practice. I think that a site that is willing to pay you $20 for what is essentially a practice session, well that's better than practicing for free.

Of course, this is only valuable for people who are still trying to break in, like me. For many of the established VO artists on this board like Banksey and Frank and a bunch of others (my heroes all), a site like this is of no value.

</ humble opinion>
dhouston67

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, not trying to pick a fight, but...

I don't really look at reading spots for VTN (or any other such outfit) as "practice". These are actual jobs and should be performed as such, no matter who the talent broker is. If you can "practice" for $20 a pop, there's no reason why you can't do the same for at least a c-note.

(By the way: none of this is meant to malign or denigrate the talent already on VTN's roster, as there seem to be plenty of bonafide VOs there. )
Mainstreetprod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below is the letter I got in response to an inquiry on 10/23:
"Send a :60 mp3 demo to info@voicetalentnow.com and fill out/return the attached.

ALL DEMO SUBMISSIONS REQUIRE A $15 APPLICATION FEE. To remit the fee, simply fill out the required fields on the order page of voicetalentnow.com – typing in “TALENT APPLICATION” fee in the script section. Click “SUBMIT” to checkout, entering in a $15 payment in the PayPal interface. The application fee is non-refundable and does not guarantee representation. Demos sent without paying application fee will not be accepted.

To be eligible for our talent pool, you must be able to:

- work as a non-union talent
- return an email within two hours
- encode mp3's at 128 kbps or better
- accept a fee of $20 per spot
- provide clean, broadcast quality audio at all times
- sign a one-year contract, committing to the above.

Submitting your demo and acknowledging the terms above does not guarantee you representation by Voice Talent Now."

Regarding the My Space site- after looking at it again, I see what David means- the guy may be listing it as his "company" even though he is just listed on the site. Or he could be the owner, it isn't clear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: