VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VoiceTalentNow.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: VoiceTalentNow.com Reply with quote

I just noticed them in Backstage and emailed them for more information. In the response I got they said I'd have to be willing to work for as low as $20 a spot.

I understand that companies want to pay vendors, suppliers, etc. as little as possible but isn't this a little ridiculous? What kind of talent do they think they'll attract? What quality of finished products do they expect?

With talent agents there are some hard & fast guidelines to measure their credibility: are they franchised, do they charge their talents a fee for representation, do they require you to take certain classes, etc. With VO sites, it seems alot more murky.

What are your standards for joining voiceover marketing websites? How do you separate the legit ones from the "scams"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to a few demos. That particular site has some decent talent,

Thing is, they do charge the talent $15 to get started...and unlike V123 or Voices.com, there's no guarantee you'll be listed. Looks like they do some vetting to make sure no hacks or wannabes get on... but boy, do they ever pay hack/wannabe rates.

Okay, maybe I shouldn't say that. Still, you have to decide how many $20 spots you need to do in a day to be able to make your minimum. Do they guarantee providing that many spots a day? Do you really want to spend all day cutting 30s just to make enough for grocery money?

No value judgements. Just some questions to be asked.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
... Still, you have to decide how many $20 spots you need to do in a day to be able to make your minimum. Do they guarantee providing that many spots a day? Do you really want to spend all day cutting 30s just to make enough for grocery money?

No value judgements. Just some questions to be asked.

Dave... Very well thought out statement. How much do you need as opposed to how much do you want to make.
My wants would be unlimited. My needs would be 26 spots per month... at that price. Maybe that's the difference between a hobby and a career.
And the question about a guarantee of a number of spots... I'd love to hear that answer. Most of the time, the only guarantee is that you will have to compete against other talents.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Mainstreetprod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Hmmmmmm.... Reply with quote

I nearly sent the $15 - nothing to lose right? Then I decided to check and see if the site comes up in any search of voice talent, voiceover, etc. Not on Google. Then I Googled Voicetalent.com and a Myspace site came up.. the owners.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=4792750

Probably no need to say more.... Wink
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a hoot I went on and inquired about getting info to be a voice talent. I couldn't find anywhere mentioning a $15 fee for talents. Where should I be looking?
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."

Last edited by BenWils on Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
dhouston67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joniv wrote:
For a hoot I went on and inquired about getting info to be a voice talent. I couldn't find anywhere mentioning a $15 fee for talents. Where should I be looking?

I admit, it's been over a year since I contacted them. Things may have changed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dhouston67

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmmmmm.... Reply with quote

Mainstreetprod wrote:
I nearly sent the $15 - nothing to lose right? Then I decided to check and see if the site comes up in any search of voice talent, voiceover, etc. Not on Google. Then I Googled Voicetalent.com and a Myspace site came up.. the owners.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=4792750

Probably no need to say more.... Wink

Wrong site! VTN actually comes up on Google, at least in the sponsored listings. Not that this makes $20 a spot more palatable, just saying.
Mainstreetprod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you using as a search term? I Googled voice over, voiceover, and voice talent and looked through 5 or more pages of sponsored links and didn't find Voicetalentnow.com. Are you just Googling their name?
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just "Voice Talent".

Yesterday their ad showed up two pages in, today it's not visible. The frequency of Google Adword spots depends on how much you pay (or "bid") per click; basically it means they're being outbid by other advertisers.
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joniv wrote:

Looks like they've dropped the $15 fee since last year. Good thing, too, given the low rates.
Mainstreetprod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The email I got in response to an inquiry a couple of days ago wanted the $15 fee. Nearly gambled on it, then discovered the owner is a VO guy himself, fairly high on the list, and after seeing his My Space site, I have my doubts about how well promoted VTNow.com is. I would want some hard traffic data before signing up.
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I emailed and asked if they charged their talent a fee and they said no. The paperwork they sent me didn't ask for a fee, either.

What's up with that?
dhouston67

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joni,

I sent a demo and the "fact sheet", got an offer to join; still no mention of a signup fee. Based on Fred's experience, they may have only just dropped it. (EDIT: Oh, and Fred: Not to start an argument, but I think the MySpace page you're referring to belongs to one of the site's voice talents and not necessarily the owner. Just because he lists it as one of his "companies" doesn't mean he runs it. I could be wrong.)

I'll wait until my follow-up email is answered with average # of spots sent to talent, payment type/schedule, etc. If it's not worthwhile then I move happily along.

P.S. The fact that they've been completely anonymous in their e-mails to date is another strike against them.
Joniv
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that info, too, David. I thought it was interesting that no place on the paperwork or the web site can you find the phyical location of the office. I want to check the BBB before proceeding with them. Also, when calling the phone number you always get the voice mail, which states that if you don't leave an email address you won't get a reply to your message. I'll let you know how it pans out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: