VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Normalizing in AA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iannyc
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Normalizing in AA Reply with quote

So I have been adding "Normalize" to the top of my effects chain, before the de-ess and all that RX7 goodness. But when I use the stock Adobe Audition process it doesn't really seem to do anything- looking at the waveform it looks almost identical, maybe a little louder or softer all-around.

Do you guys Normalize as part of your bare-bones processing? If so, in AA do you use the stock program or is there a plugin you recommend?

Thank you very much!

-I
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ian
I use AA3.0 and only use a bit of compression on my files. I've been using a Focusrite Midnight Compressor that's a VST that came with my audio interface.
Other than lowering breath noise or clicks that's all I do. I use the auto heal for click noise when I have them. Having a good pre (I have a Neve) is pretty much all you need for good sound and levels. I never did like using normalization much. It has its place but I seldom if ever use it.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normalization only changes amplitude according to the biggest (positive or negative) peak. So if you are normalizing to -3 and you have a peak at -3, nothing much is going to happen. You'd have to go in and manually tame those peaks first; or you could compress, but that is a big no-no by and large.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a "manual tamer" as well. If I find that I need to normalize after I've clipped the strays, then I really need to check that I haven't messed up somewhere else in the chain (assuming a normal type read) and my levels are off due to some irregularity. Normalizing can correct the level... but it doesn't solve the problem of why your levels were off in the fist place. If you are doing simple de-ess and RX7 mouth de-click, then those treatments don't effect the level, so normalizing shouldn't be required as a remedial step.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you monitor your reads and as you speak you hear the whoosh of wind as you blink, levels are too hot Laugh
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd add you shouldn't be to concerned with transients that are peaking unless you have a lot and it's audibly noticable.

If so go to Effects, Restoration, Clip Restoration and select Restore Lightly Clipped. Set Input Attenuation to around -4 and apply it to your area or entire file.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: