VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attempting to market via social media: a lost cause for me?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Attempting to market via social media: a lost cause for me? Reply with quote

Somehow, I need to increase my exposure to eLearning and other producers. But, from what I've been led to understand about using social media to that end, I'm pretty much convinced it would be pointless, as there is nothing about me or my life that any producer will find any more riveting than watching paint dry.

If it is a viable avenue, I don't know how to properly/effectively use LinkedIn.

Is there any hope?

Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it helps, think about this: It isn't about your life. It's about their work. Find the person responsible for production, find their email, and send them a simple note to say this is what you do and if they are ever looking for a voice for a project, keep you in mind and here's how to contact you.

Then keep track of their info.
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Kim.

I mentioned myself and my life because most, if not all, of the social media marketing advice I've been reading for years (particularly for Facebook and Twitter; maybe not so much for LinkedIn) was that it required sharing things about ourselves: our interests, hobbies, etc. I never understood it, but that's what caused my dilemma.

What you suggested is exactly how I'd been handling things until that "personal angle" advice was bestowed upon us. (Hmmm... perhaps by the same person who mandates we don't wear white after Labor Day.)

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are much more likely to lose a job via social media than get one. I am ever amazed at the procession of VO hopefuls presenting their demos on Instagram and Twitter and expecting anyone other than fellow VOs and relatives to watch them.

Kim is right--it's not about you.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical Voiceover approach to "marketing"

See a person leaving a Volvo Dealer carrying the latest brochures. Ignores the person and enters dealership then proceeds to ask the most junior sales person if they could help them sell more coffee by providing a VO recording of every brand of tea they sell.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOs who present themselves as "interesting" on social media do so (mainly) to feed their own egos and appear important to other VOs. The impact on their career (insofar as it relates to the acquisition of wealth) is negligible - or as Jack says, negative. Unless you are selling stuff to the hordes of VOs who have a slim grasp on both reality and their wallets, social media should be simply for fun and frustration.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be the first to admit, Bish, that it took me awhile to realize these truths. But what is funnier is that I thought I could help other people who had not. In recent months I have been approached by five or six people asking, apparently earnestly, for advice regarding this and other topics; in each case, my very firmly and I daresay clearly formed advice was received with gratitude and then utterly ignored.

It reminds me how powerfully the brain can devise ways of rejecting even overwhelming evidence to support a fond notion. If you've dared to frequent some of the Gear Boards, the die-never subject of cables is either endlessly entertaining or insanity-producing, depending on your caffeine levels. For some--perhaps many--audiophiles and recording types, the belief that outrageously expensive cables will produce "better sound" resists even the most simply stated science, double-blind testing, and common sense. But said folk will fight for their right to toss bajillions of cash dollars after their folly. And who am I to tell 'em not to?
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't worry about social media, mike. if it's working, just keep doing what you're doing.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cull over a billion people per year (estimate) who want c'reer advice in one easy step.

"Happy to help! Call me on the phone or my Skype ID is voiceoverist"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SK0QyHcCIw

Survivors are culled by me telling them EXACTLY what to do (change nothing), why and how it works.

They proceed to change stuff, question the "why", crash and burn then pay an AWESOME VO business coach, acting coach and demo producer $1,000s. End results? A few grand in debt and nowt else.

Am I angry? No. Why on Earth would I be angry because someone else is either stupid, lazy, frightened or simply entitled?
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen, unless you are a young Millennial or Gen Z, public social media marketing is seen as intrusive or unwanted spam. You also risk not "reading the room" correctly due to changing news cycles to face backlash or shaming.

If you want to post something out of pride, have a family member or close friend post it for you. This way it's directed at the appropriate audience and you avoid appearing boastful.

Some say they have had great success with direct messaging on LinkedIn. If you go that route, remember it's about them and not you. Solve their problems. What is it that they might want or need and then ask if you could send a demo.

Personal referrals also work. If you have built a solid relationship with a client, ask if they know anyone who may also benefit from your services or if you could use their name in correspondence with potential clients they're connected with on LinkedIn. This approach builds from the start on trust. They trust Bob and Bob says you're trustworthy so they will give you the benefit of the doubt.

The best advice I ever heard and put into use is to continually work at getting better and more efficient at my craft. That way I can hyper-serve those who hire me. By getting better, I make their lives easier.
Fewer takes = faster delivery
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not un-social media, I do not faceplant or twitless for marketing. Why? WOM (Word Of Mouth) marketing is much more effective.

People talk about food and beverages, restaurants, electronics, music, fashion, investments, travel destinations, movies, cars, health and other topics with their friends, family members, colleagues, neighbors etc. These product-related messages have a powerful impact on customer decision-making. They are highly persuasive, because they come from highly trusted and (usually) unbiased sources (i.e.: people like us).

A relatively large body of research suggests that in general, the impact of WOM significantly exceeds the impact of other marketing efforts. If a product or service receives negative WOM, typically, it cannot be saved by marketing communications.

WOM marketing cannot be applied effectively without a detailed understanding of how WOM works.

How do I start a Word Of Mouth campaign?

First of all, WOM appears to be an intimate activity. Usually just two or three people are involved in brand conversations. WOM discussions in larger groups are rare.

Over 90 % of brand discussions occur offline. WOM mostly occurs at home (49.7 %), at work or at school (27.3 %) or in shops (10.8 %). Online WOM takes up 9.5 % of all brand discussions, although this figure may have increased in the past few years or so. This last figure is especially true when it comes to political decisions. Some people will make their decision based upon what is online without doing any research as to the validity of the pros or cons of the message presented. Most however, will listen more closely to others whom they trust and, then, make their choices about politics, fast food restaurants, movies, hair care products, which services to use and from whom, microphones, and even the type of DAW we use.

Another interesting insight into the nature of WOM is that the majority of WOM discussions are positive. Only 13 % of WOM discussions are negative although negative WOM does tend to spread faster. This is because some people pass negative product information to a larger number of other people than in the case of positive product information . It also appears that in general, negative information attracts more attention than positive information and impacts greater on customer decision making.

Online marketing has a place in our marketing strategies. But using it in the positive mode requires more work and time than the average VOist can and is willing to spend.

A few good words from key people will increase your average ROI (Return On Investment) 1000 fold over time. A few bad or improper words can sink and entire marketing game plan in just a few keystrokes.

F2
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most frustrating thing for me is conflicting advice, for LinkedIn particularly. The earliest advice I remember was to absolutely NOT directly approach ANYONE intending to request a connection. (In fact, I think that was policy: unless you could prove you already knew something about someone, LinkedIn wouldn't even allow you to request a connection.) Instead, the idea was to join groups and try to answer other members' questions to establish a presence and, essentially, wait for those in need to reach out to us.

I tried that, and found - if there was activity at all in a given group - it was low and practically no one had questions needing answers.

And then I began seeing others (not necessarily VOs) simply making promotional posts. I find it hard to play the game when the rules seem to change frequently.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
I find it hard to play the game when the rules seem to change frequently.
This statement is stunningly accurate!
The rules are made by experts... these experts are self-proclaimed and, in fact, have no expertise whatsoever. Their aim is for them to "win" at social media... which is, in itself, an ill-defined goal. Money, fame, notoriety... or just an ego-trip. There is no rule-book, there are no experts, there is no "right way"... just competing theories. To quote War Games... "The only winning move is not to play."

Ignore the pundits and experts. Simply do what you are comfortable with in the knowledge that someone will tell you that you're wrong... and it all means nothing anyway. Just have a presence and be discoverable.
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. War Games. One of my favorite films. On a couple of levels. You mentioned one of at least several lessons. (While accidentally dialing into a DoD computer is unlikely these days, I am greatly concerned about the fragile state and high vulnerability of our power grids and America's reliance upon them.)

Thanks, Peter.

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War Games - was going to watch that again last night - ha.

"The best advice is not to play". With Word Of Mouth marketing it isn't about the numbers of people you virtually touch, it IS about getting other people talking about YOU. This is why online marketing is less than a stellar approach.

I recently had a client send me a note out of the blue - yes, by MAIL - not a message, text, or email; the client mentioned he was playing a demo for a script he was having created and the studio engineer - whom I have never met - said: "You know who would be perfect for this script..."?

They laughed at the answer, as both had the same voice talent in mind. This is the pinnacle of WOM marketing. In person, one-on-one, personal, and honest.

How would this example be achieved online? I cannot for the life of me figure that out.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: