VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Marketing Person
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: VO Marketing Person Reply with quote

Who's a good VO marketing coach?
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's this guy - he's a working voice actor who also does marketing coaching:

https://marcscottcoaching.com/

Also, why not reach out to Philip Banks?

Last edited by BruceG on Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc Scott has a FB group, VOpreneurs. He sells some materials but also has a "Free Advice Friday" FB webinar that's good - answers any questions people have. If you're looking at industrials, elearning, explainer video, etc., (either union or nonunion) , I'd recommend him.

Maybe not the place for commercial, trailer, promo, affiliate marketing, though.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For free, courtesy of Steve Martin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teAvv6jnuXY
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most successful VO marketing people are very good at marketing... themselves. They have created a need. They are the only ones who can satisfy that need. Oh... that was a piece of marketing wisdom for you.

Go to a junk store, charity shop, jumble sale, yard sale, whatever... find a marketing self-help book from the 80s or 90s, and within a week you'll be qualified to teach.
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are good general marketing/sales courses on Udemy for cheap. Take what you need from them, and adapt it to the VO world. Also tune in to the free advice stuff Kim was talking about.

www.karynobryant.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

67.8% of everything you need to know about business & life.

Good To Great

The Obstacle Is The Way

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations

Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice all around,
and I especially like Todd's reading list reminder!
Another person who would give you good no-nonsense advice is Peter O'Connell.
He's a VO guy and a very good Marketer.

I don't hold it against him that he's a Buffalo Sabres fan. Wink
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizden wrote:
I don't hold it against him that he's a Buffalo Sabres fan. Wink

Further proof that Liz is a much nicer person than I am.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped marketing when I realised that I needed sales.

Top Tip from the market. When it visits the majority of voice over web sites it shouts " YOU WASTE OUR TIME!"

Good marketing tests the market. Anyone who insists on marketing training needs to test the coach. Before signing up ask for a success story. This story is one in which the coach had an idea, took it to the market and it resulted in a sale. Each step can be measured and there are no "well, obviously I am not going to tell you (who, the job, the fee etc)"

In my previous life I lectured students who were on a course titled "The Organisation in its environment". My lectures included Law, Marketing and Economics. At no point did I shout "Woot Awesome!" Nor did I Waltz into class, punch the air and announce that today we are going to take things to the next level.

The webinar I did via voicebooking plods along quite nicely so if anyone has time give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2BXowT5Tc
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
67.8% of everything you need to know about business & life.

Good To Great

The Obstacle Is The Way

Marcus Aurelius - Meditations

You forgot This One, Todd.
cool

www.karynobryant.com
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good one --- also sun tzu ---

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
I stopped marketing when I realised that I needed sales.

Top Tip from the market. When it visits the majority of voice over web sites it shouts " YOU WASTE OUR TIME!"

Good marketing tests the market. Anyone who insists on marketing training needs to test the coach. Before signing up ask for a success story. This story is one in which the coach had an idea, took it to the market and it resulted in a sale. Each step can be measured and there are no "well, obviously I am not going to tell you (who, the job, the fee etc)"

In my previous life I lectured students who were on a course titled "The Organisation in its environment". My lectures included Law, Marketing and Economics. At no point did I shout "Woot Awesome!" Nor did I Waltz into class, punch the air and announce that today we are going to take things to the next level.

The webinar I did via voicebooking plods along quite nicely so if anyone has time give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_2BXowT5Tc

Buddy, I’m sure your strategy works great across the pond. But your advice to many here is career suicide. From how you audition to how you get paid, it’s apples and oranges compared to much of the vo industry in the states. You keep on keeping on. It works for ya. But you live/work in a very different world. And much of your advice is nothing but insulting. You think you are disguising it as clever. It is not. I have assisted many a US talent who had taken your advice to heart, only to flounder. That’s one of the problems with the internet. It connects all but also homogenizes to the point it all seems equal. It is not. WME closed it’s scale vo Department last week. Those who didn’t market, those with no marketing skills are finding it harder to get representation. Because in the world of professional vo here, and I know that is not a world you relate to, top agents really do want actors who excel in “awesome” marketing and have a strategy to “take it to the next level.”
Darren Altman
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob. Hi all. I hope you're all doing well and being busy in these "strange times." When do we get to stop saying that? It's like New Year isn't it? When is the cut-off point?!

I haven't visited here in a loooooong time, but logged to see what's going on and stumbled across this thread. What I think Phillip was getting at is that on the numerous voiceover forums and social media platforms, voiceovers in particular have a habit of proclaiming certain people as experts and putting them on pedestals (if they haven't already elevated themselves as such!!) on certain subjects, such as marketing and career advice, without actually having any proven track record.

I can think of several who are "gurus" in our field and whose names get mentioned regularly. They appear in conferences and talk on topics like marketing, but no one has a bloody clue about their background. WHY are they "experts?" WHAT have they accomplished? And what PROVEN and MEASURABLE evidence they have to show their credibility. Apologies for the caps!!

I don't think Phillip was being rude or insulting when he says not to take these experts at face value, instead do your research and ask questions BEFORE you spend your hard earned money on training.

Also, regarding his final comments, yes Philip was being facetious! But us Brits are built from different stuff to our American cousins and all the whooping, hollering and "way to smash out those auditions dooood" don't really hold much truck with us. Simply yelling "today you're going to knock it out of the park" won't actually help you knock it out the park!! Anything other than results is hot air and platitudes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am a complete idiot. i do not tweet. i do not facebook. i do not social media of any kind. i went to the 1st VOICE in vegas in 2007 - other than that, i have no "training" to speak of (not so much "training" - but a really good time). i spent a load of time in radio learning what not to do and a good stretch in sales trying to figure out life while bashing away at freelance voice-talking with whatever blunt instrument i could find.

i market. i make phone calls. i send email. i visit people and shake their hand. i put three kids through private school, have a nice place to hang my hat (if i wore a hat) and just finished work on a massive yacht --- well, pontoon boat.

the whole point is - there is more than one way to do this thing we call "voiceover". acting classes? maybe/maybe not. improv? who knows? i didn't do either of those things & somehow stumbled into a living.

i'm from a farm, and i can smell bull $*it a mile away --- and a lot of these "experts" smell like fertilizer to me --- so i stay away. i would never tell someone else how to spend their money - but if they ask me, and i think it smells poopie ... i'll tell them.

*edit: life is not equal. life is not fair. life will smack you down. get back up, buttercup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: