VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Have you gone to Catalina _
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: My last post in this thread was from July. On September 19, I noticed my 2012 Mac mini was running warmer than usual. After several days, it was determined I needed to repair or replace the computer. I had no backup computer, so waiting for a repair was not an option. Knowing, if I bought a new Mac, it would undoubtedly come loaded with Catalina which, at 64-bit, would force me into updating several applications, most importantly, Adobe Audition. I'd been running Audition CS6 and did not like the idea of subscription software, so I did not want to update to Adobe Creative Cloud.

After about a week of searching for the right processor and memory configuration and the type of communication ports, I found on their website an Apple-refurbished 2018 Mac mini. I twice "confirmed" with Apple that the particular computer I wanted was loaded with Mojave (which would still run 32-bit apps). I ordered it. Following delivery and set-up, I discovered I was given incorrect information. The Mac mini was loaded with Catalina.

Switching to Adobe Creative Cloud was easy enough, but I'm still trying to find suitable replacements for a couple of other, somewhat less-critical apps. But there are some issues (which currently appear to be minor) that I've had to get an Apple Senior Advisor involved in. For over two weeks thus far, we've been doing phone sessions with simultaneous screen-sharing, having me run various diagnostics and uploading the results to Apple.

One of these issues is that the familiar chime that sounds when new Mail messages are received sometimes plays late but, usually, not at all. Another is, upon waking the computer and logging in each morning, about two seconds after entering it in the login screen, my user (Admin) name disappears before I finish entering my password. In Music (formerly iTunes), I discovered I could no longer create a new playlist and drag songs into the playlist window as I've been doing for years. Now, it seems, the songs have to be dragged onto the playlist icon in the sidebar. DVD Player no longer remembers each time that I prefer having the audio level at full volume; it defaults to 50%. And the player controls have a habit of disappearing if I wait too long to play a disc after inserting it, causing me to have to quit and relaunch. Those are the things I've discovered thus far. Otherwise, this newer Mac mini, with the improved processor, is impressively fast.

I should hear from the Senior Advisor again Monday.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it 100% certain that a 64-bit Mac will not run your 32-bit software? In my Windows experience, it is dependent upon the program. Some do and some don't. I run the 64-bit version of Windows 10 but have several old (in some cases 20 years old) 32-bit programs that run perfectly fine.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about other Macs, but here's Apple's statement on OS Catalina:

"Apple's transition to 64-bit technology is now complete. Starting with macOS Catalina, 32-bit apps are no longer compatible with macOS. If you have a 32-bit app, please check with the app developer for a 64-bit version."

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I switched over to Catalina a few weeks back. There were no issues with either the OS, its core functionality, or my major production software. There were, however, a few niggles... and one WTF moment. The minor niggles were a couple of old utilities that didn't work any more (mp3 re-tagging program... stuff like that), a couple that were, "Hey Dude, we've got a new version for you!", one (ScanSnap software for extended scanning utilities) that I need to go and download something new from them (I haven't bothered). The only real issue for me was the fact that my Loopback program (Rogue Amoeba's utility for internally routing sound on the Mac) doesn't work... and they proclaim that I need a paid upgrade for it to work on Catalina. I paid $69 for the program... and now they want $49 to upgrade. Yeah right. Bastards. I'm looking for alternatives (which is a shame because I really liked the look-and-feel of Loopback, and building multiple virtual devices in the OS is messy).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: