VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OT: The Peirls of Pauline (or other stuff)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: OT: The Peirls of Pauline (or other stuff) Reply with quote

My new pet peeve with the "new reality" or "novel virus" days which are forthcoming and here today is CASH.

Stopped at a local Dive-in (not a mistake in spelling) for a quick bite, placed my order through the speaker, waited several minutes to get to the window for pickup and paying, was told I could not pay with CASH. You know - legal tender, greenbacks, cold hard etc., money).

I do not pay trivial things with a debit card or credit card. I actually did not have one with me either. So, I declined to get my food. The person at the window of Arctic Circle (names not changed to protect the guilty) was upset with me and called his manager.

I left and went to their competition - which DID accept my cash.

Arrrrrrrgh.

F2

P.S.: Sorry for the rant, had to get it of my chest somehow.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a story from probably 20 years ago... The Sacagawea dollar coin had been out for several years then and suddenly the Post Office decided to make it the official change from their stamp vending machines. I loaded up with quite a few after a small purchase there.

I then went to the Arizona State Fair, a truly big event. Admission was like five bucks and I presented five Sacagawea dollars. Nope the clerk wouldn't take them. Didn't recognize them as legal tender. I pointed out the very American identification emblazened on the coins.... didn't matter.

Surely this person's supervisor would understand. Nope. "How do I know these aren't fake?"

So I whipped out my debit card. "We don't take cards. Cash only."

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a $2 bill in my glove compartment.
I've been waiting for the perfect time to use it.
cool
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am quite happy to handle cash as little as possible. I am at least as concerned that some germ-laden stranger has had his grubby unwashed hands on money I may have to handle than I am that he's going to blow virus on me from six feet away. I looked at my credit card statement today and there was a charge for $3.44. And that is not unusual. Before I left Connecticut for Florida in early November, I stopped at the ATM and took out $300 in cash, partly because I figured I might need some when I traveled to NY for the mixer in early December. I have not been to an ATM or inside a bank since, and I still have $72 in my wallet.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, Lee, I retain the few dollar bills I handle for months at a time. Here in LA, it's a necessity to keep small denominations on your person if you're not going to waste hours of your life trying to find a parking spot and you don't want to be the guy who doesn't tip the valets.

These days, not so much...

Having seen what people do with paper money, I try to handle it as little as possible. I used to use dollars to purchase things when I didn't want to "leave a trail" or just to be contrary, but I've since yielded to The Way of Things, consoling myself with the pleasant thought that I'm still hiding but in a steganographical way.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a search it looks like the virus can survive on paper money for 24 hours .... Or several days, depending on who you ask.

On plastic like debit cards or the buttons on the credit machine at the grocery? 4 to 5 days.

The winner?? Copper! The virus gets zapped by copper in 4 hours or less. Of course paying for a week's groceries in pennies could be a challenge.

Soap and disinfectant are still your best bet. But washing paper money often ruins it so that's a problem.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is why you launder money.

Copper is a natural virus killer.. less than 2.5 seconds to kill the C-19. non-porous surfaces do not allow the virus to last more than a 5 seconds. \

Porous surfaces can last up to 36 hours if coolness (not COLD), darkness and moisture are present. In the presence of UV Coffee light or sunlight less than 2 minutes on permeable surfaces.

This from NASA and other great medical studies worldwide.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: