VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

COVID impacts on voice over
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
Now there is no reason for Casting Directors, Vice Presidents, Executive Producers, Network Executives or Cast members to loiter in studio parking Lots.

Even better, there's no reason for Vice Presidents, Executive Producers, Network Executives, Executive Assistants, Account Executives, or their friends, relatives, or significant others to be involved in the creative process at all. Think of how many pennies worth of thoughts will be saved when none of the aforementioned group are in the control room, contributing their two cents worth (in most cases, not worth quite that much).
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Lee ^.

My record is 16 people on the other side of the glass. A mix of agency people including writers and producers, several bank executives and two studio engineers. Thankfully only half of them contributed commentary to the handful of commercials we recorded.

And for the DOTA2 sessions in Seattle I had 6 writer producers on the other side of the glass watching my every move for three hours, and it did feel more like on-camera acting than most other VO gigs. I do put on quite the show when the job requires it so I believe they were quite entertained.

And for those new to online sessions versus in person sessions, they still do the thing where they shut off their mic for several minutes to discuss what you had just recorded. You wonder if you're their hero, or the goat who's about to be fired, when actually they're just discussing what they want to order in for lunch.

Somethings don't change.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's going to be easier for producers and studios to get quick fixes.

to me, this is one of the best things about working from home. just yesterday i got an email from a desperate client on a covid-19 related video. they were going to have an actual doctor cut the script but he was suddenly unavailable to travel to the studio. they asked if i could do it NOW. i did - and in less than an hour they were back on track.

i love being able to over deliver with a client - it makes me feel good. to do it with no pants on is even better.

ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me a little is when a client doesn't want to be on the line, sends a sample of what they liked on your demo - and then wants something different than you submitted - not significantly, but subtly - something you would have gotten ironed out in the first 30 seconds...but now it ends up being another day later (or so - as they are in Belgium).

I truly like having someone listen - as Bruce said, we get to entertain them!

Connie
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
What bothers me a little is when a client doesn't want to be on the line, sends a sample of what they liked on your demo - and then wants something different than you submitted - not significantly, but subtly - something you would have gotten ironed out in the first 30 seconds...but now it ends up being another day later (or so - as they are in Belgium)

Why is this a problem? Doesn't this just get you another session fee?
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non union international client. But, I have a feeling you probably knew that. Very small usage. Rarely work for this company and will make note moving forward to ask for ears on the line.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, did not know that.

Curious why you don’t insist on getting paid for re-dos. They’d have to pay someone else to do it if you pass.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of reasons, I only sent one take and hate that I didn't read their mind, so I did another take after their feedback.

I had not insisted that someone be on the line (I don't imagine that you do any sessions without someone there?) prior to doing the take.

But, there will be a note in their chart that moving forward (with this once every 2 year client), to ask that someone call in to make sure we are all on the same page. And if it is self-directed, then we need to talk about another session fee if they want a different approach.

This no client on the line thing happens occasionally with my International clients given the time difference - it is tough to get them on the line. I do have one studio in France that always uses Source-Connect, so we never have this issue.

Most of my self-directed stuff is so standard that there is never any issue with redos. eLearning is almost always self-directed (both narrator/teacher and dialog). All my VOG work. IVR and On Hold of course. Some higher energy radio spots are self-directed. Usually give 3 takes there. Some museum pieces, depending on where in the museum it is going to end up, is done self-directed.

This particular job was the English version of a factory tour of a small highly specialized type of factory and I just didn't land on the same pacing that they were hearing in their head.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In principle, I love having the client in the studio or on the line. I've never had sixteen, but I've had up to ten assorted ne'er-do-wells in the studio. Usually a assorted mix of production team, writing team, agency, interns, clients creatives, client non-creatives, old Uncle Tom Cobley and all (and strangely enough, usually some guy called Clem Fandango as well). I agree that it can slow the session down as everyone needs to justify their "field trip" to the gamorous studio (or whatever)... but at the end of the session, everyone is happy and I can walk-away basking in the warm-and-fuzzy feeling of a job well done... it has nothing to do with giving me a solid platform to say something like "... but everyone signed off on it... the client was happy... I delivered to the requested spec... any changes now are beyond that." no, not at all. That would be far too businesslike. (of course it depends on the client and your relationship with them... but it gives you the ability to play hard-ball if you want/need to).
Smile
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely LOVE having the client on the phone b/c they feel in control and as if they are getting their money's worth. When it is repeat stuff then it is a no brainer to have me do it on my own but I still have someone listen in so we can try and nail it on the first go. Unless we are exhausted and things slip because of tight deadlines but that is another story.

For the past 2 weeks, I've been inundated with Covid 19 related scripts. I have waived every rush fee because we are all in this together. Years ago I instituted a redo fee and a rush fee, both that are stating in the initial proposal. No one has ever complained about either. The clients that have come at me these past couple of weeks are not only grateful for the lack of extra fees but are also listening to suggestions on wording. It is really hard to say "due to Covid 19 we are closed and apologize for the inconvenience" without the wording being just right. I've gotten some bad, rushed scripts, and I can say that I've enjoyed helping because no one knows how to handle this situation. There isn't much I can do right now but be there for my clients and my elderly neighbors. And ignore my teens (yes, I'm calling them quarenteens).

Bob, congrats on getting going on a home studio. 20+ years in over here so I feel like I have been prepping for this situation forever. Don't be afraid to ask for help from us, too. It doesn't have to be lonely! Hang in there, everyone!

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the same boat on the covid 19 audio - lots of it - and "right now" i've waived the rush fees as well.

mandy - love this!
Quote:
I'm calling them quarenteens

i have two "boys" at back home 20 & 25 ... it was all good for the 1st few days - but now i've sent one to the farm.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mandy Nelson wrote:
Bob, congrats on getting going on a home studio. 20+ years in over here so I feel like I have been prepping for this situation forever. Don't be afraid to ask for help from us, too. It doesn't have to be lonely! Hang in there, everyone!

Oh, trust me, help right now is my favorite 4 letter word. And there’s plenty of it out there. I’m actually in a better place than others. I’ve always had a sound proof booth. Just needed to upgrade the guts and do some learning. Some animation actors, those at the very top, they never even auditioned from home. Fortunately the animation studios are loaning them state of the art equipment and hand holding them, from a safe distance, on the process of working from home.

And lonely I never feel. I’m actually a bit of a homebody and have no issues being sequestered. My main issue is artistically. Not having the others to interact with. Acting is reacting. The process is just not nearly as fulfilling.
Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
My main issue is artistically. Not having the others to interact with. Acting is reacting. The process is just not nearly as fulfilling.

Oh boy. Just spent over an hour with my oldest quarenteen as she is missing theater because of the close interaction. Group video chats and trying to run lines - for plays they probably won't get to perform any time soon - is tiresome and hard.

Todd, how do you decide which one to send to the farm? Asking for a friend.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell your "friend" - whichever one is on my last nerve at the moment.

scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd, it's possible that you may have an extra source of income on your hands. You would be providing a needed service.

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: