VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Studio Acoustics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farqfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Studio Acoustics Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I always get a little paranoid when I am marketing to clients/agents and I get a reply that my studio is unsuitable for their needs because of bad acoustics etc.

The sample in question that an agent said had bad acoustics (described as sounding like it was recorded in a bathroom) is linked here:

https://soundcloud.com/rafaelmmiguel/vbspanappaud

This was recorded a few years ago, and since then George Whittam has helped me use a customized rack for my DAW and I've slightly improved my studio acoustics. Here is a sample from a few days ago:

https://soundcloud.com/rafaelmmiguel/manager-sample/s-JsrVn

To my ears, neither of them sound echo-y, although the newer one sounds like the treatment is about maybe %15 better? Do you guys think either of these sound unacceptable in terms of being audition/demo clip sound quality worthy? Will go back to the drawing board if so...

Cheers,
Rafael
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening on my iPad I didn’t hear any bathroom noise, as in hard tile walls, in either sample. The earlier take sounded thin, as in no bass, and the more recent one sounds reasonably normal.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, let's start with the basics.

The actual quality is not bad, just thin and harsh or shrill. Neither recording had a good bottom end (no bass). there was little or no body or fullness. As Bruce mentioned (2nd version) a little more normal. However, what I hear are several issues. So,...

What mic are you using, which interface, which DAW? Do you have any treatment in the room? What kind of levels are you recording (are they in the red)?

First "basic": Good quiet room with little or no reflections. Add treatment (acoustic foam, blankets, clothing, etc.) to reduce reflections and keep the shrillness low.

2nd "basic": Find a microphone which embodies the fullness of you voice. A podcast microphone is NOT a voiceover microphone.

3rd "basic": Have a good quality interface to the computer. USB mics are great in a pinch, but a solid USB interface will run circles around a USB microphone for quality and control.

4th "basic": Use a good/great DAW. With the right software you can shape and form certain qualities of your recording. 4A "basic": Learn to use the DAW properly.

As mentioned earlier, the quality of the sound was not bad, it just lacked character. It was fairly clean, little artifacts; and was listenable. In many foreign countries (especially the Asia's) this - shriller sound would be regarded as standard. In the America's we like a bit more bass and body.

F2
Farqfish

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm,

Thanks to both of you for your informative replies.

As to the 'thin' quality you guys are mentioning, the way I interpret that is more just how my natural voice has changed over the past few years to be a little more relaxed and not as shrill sounding.

As far as making sense of the reply I received from John Silke at Big Fish Media, he initially said my studio was 'too live' for them to want to work with me. And when I asked for clarification even though they acknowledged the noise floor was low, they said 'the acoustics are bad, it sounds like you are recording in the bathroom.'

I obviously don't want to be sending out applications if I will hit a roadblock like this repeatedly but it was not only confusing to me to hear the feedback and it sounds like neither of you experienced voice artists fully hear what he was talking about. So not sure what to adjust on that end.

Frank as to your questions: I am using an SE 2200 A II C microphone with a Steinberg UR 22 interface. My treatment is just a normally carpeted bedroom with a mic enclosed in a reflection filter. I affixed some foam to the bottom to cut off the echo from below, and draped a moving blanket over the top which I sneak under with my head to record, hence the mild muffled sound.

The DAW I use is Audition, and I by no means claim to know the ins and outs of it, but since I had George Whittam customize an effects rack for my studio samples, I feel that I have optimized my current setup without changing the actual studio itself.

Let me know if you have more feedback or advice on what to change,
Cheers,
Rafael
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rafael - I just listened to both tracks several times, using Sony MDR V200 headphones (I don't think they don't make 'em anymore) through a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Here's what I heard:

Track 1 (Spanish): No problems here; the EQ was fairly balanced and no sign of any echo/reverb or background noise.

Track 2 (English): the EQ was definitely fuller (more rich bass tones) and maybe just a hint of echo, but I did definitely hear a good deal of background noise in the recording.

I use Audition CS6 and, if you use CS6 or Audition 3, you can use the Noise Reduction (Process) tool to shave off a good portion of room tone. Be careful, or you'll end up sounding like you're under water with all kinds of goofy artifacts.

Another useful tool is the Waves NS1 plugin, which does the same thing. But again, using a very light setting is the best way to go.

Above all else, you'll want to find out where the noise is coming from (i.e. - computer fan, AC unit, etc.) and then deal with THAT first before going to a noise reduction tool.

I hope this helps!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a couple of quick thoughts:

Are you using the low pass filter on the SE 2200? Don't!
This mic is cardiod only (good and bad) but need some room to keep the right feel. The condenser is good but with the SE electronics is normally a bit thin as most Chinese condensers are...

Get out from under the moving blanket. Build yourself a PVC stand to hang the blanket on in back of you and around your recording position... "room air" with this mic works well.

Which pad do you have on? This may affect the lower frequencies, which is something missing in the recordings. Proximity effect on this mic is decent, but working the mic at about six inches allows for some formation of the sounds before reaching the diaphragm.

Clear the extraneous noise (outside noise) and reflections.

Learn Adobe Audition better, and you might need to consider adding some EQ.

Frank F
Farqfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reworked my studio Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I created more space around my mic and bought better blankets to treat the surrounding area. Here is an updated sample of my studio:

https://soundcloud.com/rafaelmmiguel/model-casting1/s-RWWuo

Can you take a listen and say if it is an improvement or no?

@Bruce, really appreciate your zoomed in quality listenings and feedback.

@Frank, regarding the low pass filter, I played with it, and for better or for worse, leaving it off seems to let in too much background noise in my space right now. Are the downsides of using it losing the integrity details of the voice? I have the -10dB on because when it is off for some reason a little more background noise creeps in to my recording as well...

Rafael
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good enough for now so stop for a while, work on the performance skills and then tweak again. It's an evolution not a revolution!
Farqfish

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Updates Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your help in this thread so far. I've since built my studio a bit rag-tag in my narrow closet. From what I understand from feedback on submitted work to clients, for the most part my audio is sounding professionally acceptable, and is occassionally flagged for having too much 'boxiness' or reverb.

I am not %100 sure what the next best step for me would be in order to address this.

Please take a listen to VO's recorded in this space here:

soundcloud.com/rafaelmmiguel/sets/studio-demos/s-YFyIW7OJuBj

The proteins one was flagged for being too boxy, while the other one was not flagged, and I was confused because they sound pretty similar to my ear.

Here is a video walkthrough of my space if anyone wanted to comment! Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITH1crkx_Gg

Really appreciate your time and help,
Rafael
[/img]
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick thought from listening and watching. Move a bit further away from the microphone - one or two inches. What I hear is some sibilance which some (most) producers will take as a "boxy" sound.

There is no reverb or echo and the bass is solid. More so now, than before - yes I compared the two. In my ears (not the best right now) what I hear is no "air" or, the sound is a bit too "tight".

By moving away from the mic, you may be able to get the "air" you need or a "bigger" room sound by simple placement of the microphone. Working in a small space is trying; at best.

I wish you the best - the studio is improving.

Hope that helps.

F2
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Frank in that I hear no “room boom” and that backing off from your mic will help a bunch. You probably have more sound deadening than you need, looking at the video, but I guess it can’t hurt.

Right now in these samples you’re using the lighter, more forward of you vocal range Maybe you could try a slightly fuller read employing more diaphragmatic breathing. Don’t go announcery but read like you’re addressing 3 or 5 people not just one. See what that does for your read and the room tone.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! Your last recording sample sounds good. Just keep at it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: