VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ConnectionOpen Anyone?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 am    Post subject: ConnectionOpen Anyone? Reply with quote

The ConnectionOpen folks have a new and improved voiceover over Internet program which includes simultaneous video (if you want it). It's available for $25 per month with a small number of free passes each month to invite non-users to connect with you. They're offering one year at 50% off of that rate at this time. They have a more expensive package for regular users.

Has anybody here used it and what do you think?

Since few of us initiate live sessions it seems it's really up to the studios and producers to adopt this system, and so far it appears they haven't. It looks slick, but the proof is in the pudding as they used to say.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the CO platform (although I'm a SC Standard user) but its primary clientele is musicians. VO just happened to fit in as bycatch when ISDN became outlandishly expensivo. So you probably won't see it in mainstream conversations.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like something Steinberg has been doing with VST Connect for quite a while; something else that never caught on. Which is a shame since it only requires purchase (not subscription) by the DAW end user and is free to use for connecting people. Great for remote session work for musicians and VO as well but just didn't catch on with anyone I know.

-= george =-
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: ConnectionOpen Anyone? Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Since few of us initiate live sessions it seems it's really up to the studios and producers to adopt this system...

Exactly. I'm not going to add to my yuuuge bundle of subscriptions for another technology that no one has ever asked me to use. I'm about 10% Source Connect, 30% ISDN, and the rest good ol' phone patch. Yep, most producers prefer that I record and send the file along... I should add that *very* occasionally I have a call for ipDTL qua ipDTL, but this is rare (though I love using their ISDN and phone patch service).
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no doubt that Connection Open is a fine product that could be a great alternative to Source Connect standard etc. I have tested with Randy over the years, and I honestly feel that the product is technically ready for prime time. However, as far as the VO industry is concerned, what we think about it is of no relevance whatsoever. We are the tail... not the dog. CO needs to be in the hands of studios and production managers. If they adopt it in any numbers, we will fall in line out of necessity.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people responsible for giving us work aren't interested in the least.

"I will discharge it in either your straw-color beard, your orange-tawny beard, your purple-in-grain beard, or your French crown-color beard, your perfect yellow" Bottom - A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: