VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some audio from the Dan O'Day Summit 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Some audio from the Dan O'Day Summit 2006 Reply with quote

In my long series of posts about this year's Summit, here, I promised to try to post a segment from the Critique-A-Spot-A-Thon that was a great learning experience for me and I hope you for too.

What you'll hear is the 60 second spot I submitted for evaluation at this year's event, followed by Dan O'Day's comments and eventually his interaction with me as he walked me through how I could have done a better job with this piece.

The audio is here.

I hope it's of some value.

By the way, if you'd like to get a brochure about next year's Summit when they're available in May 2007, you can email Dan O'Day at this address:

danoday@danoday.com

And I'm sure he'll be happy to put you on his notification list for next year.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You nailed it on the head, Bob, when you talked about the environment most radio folks are in when producing commercials. Around these parts we call it "meatball surgery." A term used in the TV show M*A*S*H* to describe the get-em in, get-em out as fast as you can operations they would perform. No time for high quality work. just make sure the patient can breathe when it's over.

I recently spoke with a prod director about this problem, when he asked me how to become a better VO talent. My answer was to pick and choose the scripts. The more "human" the script, take your time, break it down, add life to the character you are about to portray. When the script is filled with clichéd announcer drivel, give them what they wrote.
jayj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan-O...

Amen brother....thanks Bob for posting this. Very informative and educational.

Back to the MEATBALL PRODUCTION theme, Those of us in radio wonder why we are sending people to satellite radio, I pods and other sources of entertainment.

Imagine hitting a STOPSET (spot break) with six of those MEATBALL PRODUCTION pieces stacked in a row. It comes down to an assembly line.

First we put every cliche in the copy, Make sure we mention useless info ike phone numbers, model numbers and other drivel. Try to slam it out with 90 secs of copy in a 60...there is no emotion and unfortunately no retention by the listener.

It's like being in a gunfight and taking both six shooters out of the holsters and aiming directly at both feet.

It makes us programming types crazy. With the changes in radio, we've lost the craft of storytelling and the creative use of audio that paints the picture.

I hear my soapbox creaking...so I'll gp to the radio gig now....Time to Make the Donuts.

Jay J.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan O'Day has some nifty info here about the summit and an offer in PDF form for CDs of the summit itself:
http://www.danoday.com/Summit2006Special.pdf

If you don't subscribe to Dan's newsletter, I highly recommend it-- if onoy to keep your sanity in an ad world gone mad.

Dan-o—

I used to use the term "Meatball Theater" to describe our summer stock process where rehearsal time wasn't measured in days, but hours.
We managed to put up some damned fine shows in spite of the gristmillian method of cranking 'em out.

My favorite cable TV commercial producers would call the continued creation of bad spots "flipping burgers".

"We're not winning awards here, we're flipping burgers."

Meh.

I need a rant blog.

edited to disable pirates

Last edited by Deirdre on Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob - I'm probably gonna make everyone think I'm nuts or sumpin' - - but in all honesty, I liked your original read better. It had a sense of power and urgency which made it seem important - a message I should listen to and which was worthy of conscious and willful consideration. I did not get any impression of the read being something that was done on autopilot or without conviction.

I'm certainly not qualified to say that Dan O'day is wrong - and that is not my intent - I am only stating my (probably worthless) opinion and telling which read had a dynamic that got and held my attention most effectively and actually made the stronger mental impression on me.

Well, this oughta get some sticks and stones tossed my way - so I got my hardhat on - throw 'em if ya got 'em!

In any event, your reads were outstanding (as always), no matter which version one favors.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
I liked your original read better.

I thought the same thing. But I also think Bob could read the phone book and make it sound interesting, so maybe I'm biased.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC wrote:
donrandall wrote:
I liked your original read better.

I thought the same thing. But I also think Bob could read the phone book and make it sound interesting, so maybe I'm biased.

Thank you for the very kind comments. And I understand fully that different people will like or prefer one or the other. The main point here is to illustrate how taking just a few minutes to think before reading can make a significant difference in one's performance; and most of the time that difference will be for the better.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
The main point here is to illustrate how taking just a few minutes to think before reading can make a significant difference in one's performance; and most of the time that difference will be for the better.

An excellent point, and I do think it was well-illustrated in the audio clip. I didn't mean to be flippant or to detract from that.
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome example of what "feeling" can do to those reads that would other-wise be "another read". Great clip Bob.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great lesson Bob. Thanks so much for posting that. It's amazing what those additional :30 made!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrodriguez315 wrote:
It's amazing what those additional :30 made!

Joe,

Yes indeed. It's so very easy in the hustle and bustle of a work day to forget how simple it can be to make a significant improvement in our work...if we refuse to allow ourselves to drift.
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Research and Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: