VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Food and other edibles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MichaelLaPres

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Food and other edibles Reply with quote

I'll try to learn soon to use search on here but until the...food.

Does anyone have any foods or other consumables that you avoid because it effects your mouth/tongue in a way that hinders you in some way because perhaps it coats your tongue etc?
ShaneGraham057
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to avoid eating hot peppers or wasabi. Those often affect my mouth and sinuses adversely. cool

But seriously, milk based products tend to get me a little more phlegm(ey) and clearing my throat more. Sodas and caffeine tend to dehydrate, so its normally good ole H2O for me. I also like to suck on a Vocalzone pastille on occasion as well. (These are a lifesaver when I am doing live announcing gigs for hours on end)

Ive heard people say apples help but Ive never gone down that road. Just staying properly hydrated works wonders.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are presently 1023 theories on food v voice, all of them plausible, some of them true--for the person speaking.

I don't eat dairy during the work day but do at night, esp cheese, which is delicious. For me, I need to clear my throat more when eating dairy during the day, so in case there's actually a connection, I avoid it then.

But my real theory is that it's 95% in your head, so don't worry too much.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milk products and sometimes allergies can make me a bit phlegmy. I try to stay hydrated and will sing Broadway show tunes to help clear my upper respiratory system. I’ve also tried humming through a straw with limited success.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I’ve also tried humming through a straw with limited success.

A trick for phlegm (given to me by Dave Walsh): with a slightly open mouth, breath short, emphatic (but not overly forceful) breaths, then swallow. The breaths will sound something like "heh heh heh" etc. The idea is to essentially "blow dry" the droplets of mucus on the vocal folds. Unpleasant to think about, but effective.

The act of clearing one's throat damages the vocal chords slightly, esp when done with force. This breathing trick seems odd but actually works. I have found that by doing this, my need to clear my throat has diminished dramatically (I'd say I do it about 80% less often--I used to clear my throat a lot).
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
Bruce wrote:
I’ve also tried humming through a straw with limited success.

A trick for phlegm (given to me by Dave Walsh): with a slightly open mouth, breath short, emphatic (but not overly forceful) breaths, then swallow. The breaths will sound something like "heh heh heh" etc. The idea is to essentially "blow dry" the droplets of mucus on the vocal folds. Unpleasant to think about, but effective.

That's very similar to what a physician advised me to do last year when I came down with bronchitis. 15-20 times an hour. It worked.
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic...and vocal health and maintenance in general....deserves its own forum category in my opinion. I am currently having a lot of vocal issues and seeing a voice doc, doing therapy exercises and trying to tackle it, but some days are better than others. It is a long-term battle to stay vocally healthy and not over use and mis-use the voice.

As far as the food and drink...Just like most folks, dairy products are not good for my voice. And any kind of pop (soda depending on where you live) will always cause me issues as well- especially if they contain caffeine. And this certainly won't help Acid Reflux issues either. Any powdery drink or energy drink will almost take my voice out and I have to drink a ton of water afterwards to wash all that powdery residue off my throat. I hate coffee and I can tolerate hot tea but it leaves a dry and bitter taste in my mouth. But how in the world can anyone go without at least a little caffeine? Especially in the early morning and mid-afternoon. I am currently in a quandary about what to drink in the morning to wake up, without enduring all the after issues. I've even tried caffeine pills but those are really potent and you instantly feel the dryness on your voice and throat.

One major change I have made that has been helpful is to stop drinking the filtered water that comes out of my refrigerator. I got the water tested and found out that even though it was filtered and tasted good, it was still hard water with CHLORINE! Cities treat the water with chlorine to kill the bacteria. That part I get, but it also has a lot of diverse side effects. I now get drinking water that has the chlorine filtered out, and it has made a big difference in the rasp and scratchiness of my throat. Be careful of bottled water too. It can sometimes contain chlorine and sodium too depending on the brand. If you are having the same kind of issues...definitely get your drinking water tested for chlorine.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't eat prepared (store-bought) hummus because there is always a combination of acids and spice that make my tongue go all geographic and it gives me the most wretched lisp for a day.
Plus, it hurts.

When I narrate or do game vox I drink safflower oil right out of the bottle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: