VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ten years...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Ten years... Reply with quote

For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, it was ten years ago today that I joined this happy band of voiceoverists! I'd been lurking for some time while getting a start in the business, but I pulled the pin on joining on 22nd November 2009.

To say that VO-BB has been important to my career would be a massive understatement. I'm not even sure that I'd have moved on from just thrashing about in the shallow end without the support of the VO-BB community... and many from that community have become dear friends, both remotely and in real life... friendships that have transcended the boundaries of voiceover.

I'm not going to name names or pick out specific people (you know who you are) ... except for Deebs, for without her, none of us would be here!

Thank you DB.... thank you all.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So very glad you’re here, Peter.

Bruce
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hear, hear! Peter, your keen insights have been a source of help to me on several occasions. I'm glad you're here, too.

AlanC
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too was a long time lurker before recently crossing the threshold.

Having dumped the toxic environs of the various Facebook groups over a year ago, I found myself in need of a community of peers sans hawkers and poo-poo. It was refreshing to discover a relatable ethos in the posts of many others but especially Doug Turkel, Philip Banks, George Whittam and your good self Peter that convinced me to emerge from the shadows.

So, on this your anniversary, thank you for your wisdom, wit, honesty and not trying to sell me anything.

Flowers
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Alan and a Happy Anniversary to you Peter.

It is great to see how well this board has evolved over the years. I, m'self, personally nearly made a friend once and count several here as people I once met. The former influencers here are now virtually impotent and the controllers have little real control thanks to the real group dynamic and that is how it should be. Where once Moderators had to be KEEP OF THE GRASS we now find the odd "Steady as she goes No1" is sufficient.

Our business at the high profile, PR end, the fluff and piffle, has deteriorated from knowledge to take one forward to a meaningful career to say anything at all without evidence of application in the real world as long as it gets a high 5.

To members new and old, welcome to the last bastion of honesty, integrity, sanity and hope for people who are simply trying to pay their bills by reading out loud into a microphone. Bon Chance, if I can help in any way, just ask.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bon Chance, if I can help in any way, just ask.

He means it...
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but no one ever asks as they simply like to complain.

I learned a long time ago that if you cheerfully solve every problem a person has they simply invent more problems; bigger, harder, better problems!

Permit me to adjust my offer.

I am but an elderly and frail man who has wasted far too much of his life trying to guide people, free of charge. towards being able to pay their bills by reading aloud for a while every other day or so. I and my thoughts are cast aside like a leaky Wellington Boot only to discover that these people then pay $2,000 to be told they're awesome at a conference by someone who once read the crop report at 4am, the radio station, not the time. Well, no more!

If you would really like my help and are prepared to listen politely then implement the solution I present without fear, favour. protest or excessive beard growth, please get in touch. If not, please do not interrupt what is left of my life as for me and Bess the Border Collie every day is a bonus.

During the first world war my Father was blown up. He was sent home to recover and then sent back to France to give the German Army a second chance. He was shot and allowed to recover behind the lines. Whilst in bed he sent a telegram to the Kaiser.

"Best of 3?"

The Kaiser made no reply.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any anniversary can put you into a "retrospective" mode...

When I joined VO-BB I was a young man of 55... filled with the enthusiasm of someone who had just (only a few years earlier) told his corporate overlords to go play with themselves and had made a great leap off the precipice... and to my great surprise, actually managed one of those "super-hero" landings. Things were going to be OK. Not easy... but OK. This was an exciting world filled with exciting people. Watch, learn, interact, and above all don't be a dick.

Ten years later, at 65 (an age when I'd always been told I'd be comfortably retired and playing bowls) I find myself still watching, still learning, still interacting, and (at least most of the time) not being a dick. I'm older, wiser, and certainly a whole lot better at this voiceoverist malarky. Beer money morphed into mortgage money in a relatively short time... because I watched, learned, and interacted. What I did not do was pay for magic pills and secret formulas. Conventional wisdom says that overnight success takes five years... I have no reason to argue against that.

The biggest change I've seen in "the industry" is the amount of VOs (of varying degrees of experience and expertise) who have decided it's far easier to take money from other VOs than it is to take money from satisfied clients. Maybe one of the issues is that clients require a solid deliverable... something tangible that's fit for purpose... something of quality. On the other hand, VOs have shown that they will happily pay more that their annual VO income on stuff that has absolutely no impact on their business. The undeniable beauty of it all is that there is no deliverable... no tangible product... no compelling empirical evidence that tells you that the money you've invested in, "Using Pinterest to Boost Your VO Income" actually works... or (more to the point) doesn't work.

I find myself reiterating The Thoughts of Chairman Banks... for they are fine thoughts and worthy of reiterating.... with or without references to a leaking Wellie (obviously not a Hunter... Hunters don't leak!)... but it's my thread and I shall reiterate as much as I like... so there!

So... I shall, in my curmudgeonly dotage, continue to rail against the cult of personality that's developing in our business... the obsession with constant demo refresh... and the awards heaped upon these demos and their production. A cynical person would see a clear connection between giving awards for demos and the exponential growth in the demo production business... it's almost as if people are doing demos simply to get awards for them... as I say, if I were a cynical person, I may make that observation.

Get off my lawn!

Last edited by Bish on Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
... but it's my thread and I shall reiterate as much as I like... so there!

Bish, I have nominated you for a SOVAS award in the category of "Best VO-BB Rant." That'll be $200, please.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:

Bish, I have nominated you for a SOVAS award in the category of "Best VO-BB Rant." That'll be $200, please.

And if you want a trophy you can take home that's another $200 please.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(obviously not a Hunter... Hunters don't leak!)

as a hunter who was out in the woods without the internets for a weekend, i can say two things:

1. i'm glad you're here
2. sometimes, hunters leak

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see we're skirting the real question again Smile

Whenever Hunters are mentioned, people always have a knee-jerk reaction... are you a Belstaff or Barbour aficionado? The answer will say a lot about you... be careful!

(the brand of tweed cap is irrelevant... only real sticklers get hung-up on that!)
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i typically wear an orange(ish) farmall cap

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: