VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help from someone who hires other talent

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Need help from someone who hires other talent Reply with quote

A few years ago, I found myself in the position of having to occasionally hire other talent. What began as one, or two or three, has now reached the point where I need advice in organization and administration so that I can be sure I don't lose track of things like invoices/payments, income tax-related things, etc. I've been covering all of the bases but, having never taken a business course, I'm sure there must be a more efficient and effective way. To give you an idea: I'm 66 and have never used a spreadsheet. (But I can explain how a Xerox machine works.)

Is there someone who can offer some advice on how they set up their computer with folders to keep and manage talent info (contact info, demos and invoices), and how that would tie to the jobs they're hired for? I don't even know if I've asked that clearly enough.

Adventuresome parties please PM me. Thanks!

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never hired enough talent to require some kind of "system" to keep track of them, but here are my thoughts from experience:

Presuming you will not be paying them as employees with payroll deductions and all, they will basically be "suppliers" like any other person or organization you pay as a business expense. Have them invoice you for the agreed upon amount and pay them when you're ready to. You already know the only major difference, and that is you'll need to issue a 1099 to them if you pay them $600 or more in a year. Your accountant can help you with that if you're not a fan of such paperwork.

Technically we're supposed to issue 1099s to any entity we pay that doesn't look like a major corporation, say a talent agent, but I've never done that and haven't been arrested yet.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bruce. Yes, I've been doing exactly that all along, and without any trouble. But, as the frequency of jobs requiring several voices each has been increasing (I'm working on three at the moment), keeping tabs on it all and making sure I meet everyone's expectations makes me a bit anxious. The last thing I want to do is forget to pay a friend/colleague. I fell behind once, and forgot to invoice a client until a month later than I should have. Those events don't show me in a good light.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also fallen into the "I'll invoice them tomorrow" trap. It just takes severe discipline to create invoices or receive invoices the same day, even in the minutes after you send off the work or get the invoice. There's no penalty for keeping on top of things, in fact you'll feel much better overall, and there's lots of woe and worry for putting things off.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the dreaded spreadsheet - google docs so i can access it from anywhere -

quarter invoiced
date invoiced
date pmt. received
project code
client
talent
pay to talent
pay to me
addt. fees (if any)
total to me
tax withholding (for me)

at the end of the year it's a simple matter of sorting by talent & adding up how much i paid them & wether or not they get a 1099.

the bonus is - you can sort by quarter, client, etc ...

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an "Accounts Payable" folder in my invoices folder where I keep talent invoices. I can mark 'em with a label color once I've paid them.

In my bookkeeping software, I have a category for "VO Expense".
All money received from clients that will go to talent gets that category, and all payments made to talent get that category.

I make sure it is zero after I think I'm done with my project bookkeeping, so I know it's right.

If I pay any one person $600 or more, I send a 1099 in January.
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great feedback!

Another question: if hiring a foreign talent that makes over $600 (they are performing the work in their country, not here), is it still necessary to send them and file with the IRS a 1099MISC form?

Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As long as the foreign contractor is not a U.S. person and the services are wholly performed outside the U.S., then no Form 1099 is required and no withholding is required.

You should get a form W-8BEN signed by the foreign contractor. By signing Form W-8BEN, the foreign contractor is certifying that he or she is not a U.S. person. The Form W-8BEN is not filed with the I.R.S. It is kept on file with the U.S. payor in case the U.S. payor is audited. If audited, the Form W-8BEN supports why no Form 1099 was issued and why no tax was withheld."

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/employees-and-payroll/how-do-i-file-a-1099-to-a-foreign-contractor/00/222912
Mike Harrison
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Deirdre!

todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once upon a time, our hero, the valiant voice talker, did everything himself, including his taxes, and inserting too many commas in a sentence. then one year he royally screwed himself at a cost of thousands of dollars he could ill afford. that very day he found a good accountant and now lives happier ever after.

the end

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: