VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7 End-Of-Life

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Windows 7 End-Of-Life Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've been a long-time user of Windows 7 and, with the end-of-life coming soon, am torn about converting to Windows 10, notwithstanding the arguments for updates, security patches, etc.

I was wondering what Windows 7 users here were thinking about this situation. Any thoughts?
ronharpervoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not thrilled. But I bought a Win10 laptop earlier this year. my OLD laptop is Win XP. Then a couple of weeks ago, on my Win7 desktop, I couldn't open any documents. Finally, last week, while rendering a 3 minute video, it stopped. I went that afternoon and ordered a new custom built system. Then spent four days transferring files, loading new software, etc etc. By the way, I have about 12 Tb of storage.
All is good now. The headaches are behind me - for the most part - and I have a system that's faster than a greased jackrabbit on steroids strapped to a rocket.
If you're going to stay with Win7, make sure you have a knowledgeable, friendly, IT person in your pocket.
www.ronharper.com/blog
www.videosonyourwebsite.com
dwpthe3rd
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 End-Of-Life Reply with quote

BruceG wrote:
Hi all,

I've been a long-time user of Windows 7 and, with the end-of-life coming soon, am torn about converting to Windows 10, notwithstanding the arguments for updates, security patches, etc.

I was wondering what Windows 7 users here were thinking about this situation. Any thoughts?

After Microsoft stopped support for XP, I continued to use the platform for a number of years. This required switching to a 3rd party antivirus software.

Even though the upgrade path to Win 10 is painless cost-wise, I plan to continue using Win7 in the foreseeable future to avoid the cost of upgrading other essential software I use. I'll switch to a 3rd party antivirus program here as well as Microsoft Security Essentials becomes a dinosaur.

dwpthe3rd
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it makes any difference, when I switched from Win7 to Win10, I did not have to upgrade any software. It all worked, even a couple that date back to the 20th century. The only thing I had to replace was my scanner, which I replaced with a printer/scanner because both of those devices were getting long in the tooth, anyway.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the input and feedback guys! I have an excellent antivirus program on both of my machines (tower & laptop) so it looks like staying put is the way to go for me. I've invested too much in software to switch now, though to Lee's point it's good to know that an eventual switch to Windows 10 may not be too painful.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why upgrade at all? Just be smart about your use of the Internets, make a clone/ghost of your system drive for recovery if you slip up, and keep on workin'.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just air-gap that dude and all is well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: