VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible stupid question: ACX auditions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Possible stupid question: ACX auditions Reply with quote

I'm looking to amp up my audiobook work and have been doing some research. One of the basic things I've seen touched on but maybe not delved into because it's obvious (except to me) is the length of the audition for the ACX format.
Should I read the entire script provided or jus a paragraph?
Entire script is fine of course, I just want to make sure I haven't been short-changing myself (though I probably have).
Thanks and sorry if this is a 'dummy' of a question.
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did ACX auditions, I made sure the sample I sent was at least a few minutes long. Others may have different benchmarks, but at least 2 minutes' worth (or more) gives them a good idea of how you handle the flow.
My deux centimes.

www.karynobryant.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a thought: put on the author's hat so to speak. What would you want to hear in an audition?

If three characters speak, certainly voice all three of them. If there are unusual words or place names, make sure those are included. Are there any big dramatic scenes with lots of yelling or crying? Better throw those in there too. If it's royalty share the author is going to give you half of all of the audiobook proceeds. If it's done at a good hourly rate there's a couple of thousand dollars or more at stake. For the author's/producer's investment they're going to want to hear what they need to hear. If you can guess what that is you'll increase your chances of scoring the job.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Here's a thought: put on the author's hat so to speak. What would you want to hear in an audition?

If three characters speak, certainly voice all three of them. If there are unusual words or place names, make sure those are included. Are there any big dramatic scenes with lots of yelling or crying? Better throw those in there too. If it's royalty share the author is going to give you half of all of the audiobook proceeds. If it's done at a good hourly rate there's a couple of thousand dollars or more at stake. For the author's/producer's investment they're going to want to hear what they need to hear. If you can guess what that is you'll increase your chances of scoring the job.

B

All hail the 'Boardmeister!' aaaammm
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it's royalty share the author is going to give you half of all of the audiobook proceeds.

Well, half of what ACX gives the rights holder and the producer. It used to be that it was 50% to ACX and then you split the other 50% - so basically you got 25% of sales. But didn't that change to 60/40, so now you get more like 20% of sales?
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
Quote:
If it's royalty share the author is going to give you half of all of the audiobook proceeds.

Well, half of what ACX gives the rights holder and the producer. It used to be that it was 50% to ACX and then you split the other 50% - so basically you got 25% of sales. But didn't that change to 60/40, so now you get more like 20% of sales?

So if I'm gonna do a small book (3 hours) at a small rate ($50/hour) I WON'T be getting $150 for the job?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are basically three ways to get paid for narrating a book through Audible:

With Royalty share you and the author split the royalty based on actual sales amounts. Audible used to offer 50% of the book’s realized sale price for you and the author to split. They dropped that to 40% some time ago meaning that the author and narrator each get 20% of actual sales. You’ll note I keep saying “actual” sales. While their books list for $11 to $25 each they sell them for much less due to monthly membership programs. My royalty share books are selling for $1.80 to $7.00 for the most part. That’s the Audible R.S. B.S.

The second way is by an hourly payment agreement from the author or sometimes an independent producer arranged through Audible. You and the author agree on a payment per “finished” hour. Usual rates are $200 to $250 per finished hour. If the book ends up being 8 hours long you’ll get $1,600 or some such. Audible does offer to run these through a SAG/AFTRA contract (if you’re a member) making sure you get appropriate credit and payment for your Union benefits. Someone more up on this will post the current union finished hour rates. In both of these first two cases you are responsible for editing, quality control and mastering the final audio unless otherwise arranged.

The third way is to strike a deal with a book publishing house or producer. They will pay you somewhere between $225 and $600 per finished hour and they usually absorb all of the production costs and they deal with Audible. Of course with these “per finished hour” deals there are usually no royalties. You take the money and run.

I hope this helps.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does. Thanks Bruce
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is it going for you in the ACX realm, Moosevoice?

www.karynobryant.com
Moosevoice
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Karyn,
Not much happening for me in the realm of ACX. That being said, I probably only do about 2-3 auditions a week.
Had a couple hits back recently.
Was about to accept an offer on a short book (3 hours) that was only $50/hour but soon came to my senses. Replied with a higher rate and got the dreaded 'Regarding your ACX audition...' Email soon after.
I'll keep plugging along and probably increase my ACX audition output.
You?
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you for not taking rates that undercut your worth, Moosevoice!
Keep at it, and keep training. The work will come.

Things are status quo here, despite a very busy travel schedule for the next couple of months. I had my best month ever in July! (IN July?) Super blessed, and really happy about it.

Thanks for asking!
Smile

www.karynobryant.com
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... in July! (IN July?)

Tee Hee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: