VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paging George Whittam re: Headphones
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
...because I did it through their relationship with Google shopping I got $20 off an already good price and free shipping. Total $119.

Bruce, I found the cans on the HH Gregg site, but I don't see how to invoke that addt'l $20 off. Would you elaborate?
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apparently signed up for Google Shopping (whatever that is) many moons ago and it popped up in the sale process at HHGregg and said “do you want $20 off? Click here.” Heck yes I said.

I sure hope I haven’t also signed up to receive a 27 volume Encyclopedia Britaninica in 120 easy payments.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: Tried ordering from HH Gregg. They took and processed my order, then refunded the money a couple hours later. I've asked why, but my guess is they don't have the headphones any more. At any rate, some pretty shady behavior.
sounddguy
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
I've been more or less happy with my Sony 7506 headphones but they do wear on my outer ears in long edit sessions
B

The 7506s are used a lot in the film/video world on location because the enhanced high and low frequency alert us to issues that may need to be addressed at the time. They also are not a full ear cup design so we have some situational awareness. I have been using the Sony 7509s for editing which totally cover the ear reducing more local distraction. Unfortunately the 7509s have been discontinued and their replacement cost a good bit more. I have alternated with the ATH m50s which sound very close to me.
George
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received an email from Massdrop that D770s are back in stock. $145 for any of the 3 ohmage rated models. Not an awful price, although I believe shipping gets added which puts it slightly over one model on Amazon presently but still slightly under some others, depending on what you're looking for.
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
Quote:
The 250 ohm model does require a lot of power to drive the cans--the headphone outputs of many interfaces may lack sufficient power. Although the 250s are considered more detailed, it's overkill for voice recordings. But some folks seem to love them.

I bought the 250 ohm model for my son for his birthday recently and he loves them (he produces music on his laptop). He's using the Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Generation and so far he hasn't mentioned any issues with headphone volume.

I'm half-tempted to buy some for myself but seem to be getting by on my Sony cans for the time being.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruceG wrote:

I bought the 250 ohm model for my son for his birthday recently and he loves them (he produces music on his laptop).

If I were mixing music regularly, I'd have the 250s as well. For me such a setup would simply not work, and your son likely has a young whippersnapper's hearing :) --but more power to him!

I stand by my statement that 80 ohms is a better choice for most VOs. It's the best balance of drivability and sonic quality. And when you go on the road, you'll find the lower impedance a boon, I'd wager: my "road use" Apollo Arrow has less headphone output than my home rig and I'd be unable to drive the 250s with it. YMMV

I used to use Sonys and love their sound, but their biased output eventually pushed me to pickup the 770s for booth use. (I use Senn HD600s at my desk.) I'd rather hear things flat.

I've noticed that headphone use (or nonuse, as the case may be) is highly personal and what works for one person means little to the next. But I like cans qua cans, and enjoy chatting about them with others similarly afflicted.
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resurrecting this thread once again as the info is about 16 months old and was curious if there were any updates. My ancient Sennheiser 280's are not so slowly disintegrating, not just the foam but the plastic on each side keeps chipping off a half an inch at a time. 🙄 I've asked a few colleagues what they use and each recommendation has been discontinued. I am looking for cans that I can comfortably wear for an extended period of time while recording audiobooks and that work well one ear on/one ear off. The Sennheiser's weren't the most comfortable tbh.

Added bonus, this post adds to the longest running thread record! Thanks in advance.

Now what did I come in here for?
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are fab!

https://toprecordplayers.com/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-studio-headphones-review/

Our Lord Jesus wore a pair to monitor his levels whilst delivering his sermon on the mount*

Want to try before you buy? I have a pair in Vocal Booth. Pop over, we'll have lunch.

*Requires verification
Pam
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip I shall pop over Friday at 13:20 if that works for you and Miss Bess. In the meantime I will check these out. TY

Now what did I come in here for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: