VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aloha all

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl in CA

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Aloha all Reply with quote

My name is Karl and I’m an apprentice voiceoverist!

I’m under no illusion that that this is easy and know that I have much work to do in order to achieve my first goal of making a living as a voiceoverist. I’ve converted a closet into a studio that’s probably good enough to ensure that my performances are still the weak link & I hope to have George Wittman confirm that soon! I’ve been taking informal coaching as I can afford it from a great local working VO and now a student at Voicetrax SF which has been fantastic - next class starts in a week - I’m so excited!

I’ve actually been a member here for about 2 ½ years but haven’t raised my head as I’ve had little to contribute other than perhaps sharing my journey. I’m not suggesting that has changed, but since I’m currently accelerating my VO path, I’m finding that I have a few questions that not even the ‘all knowing’ google can answer. I’ve definitely learned a lot from a combination of online searches, books and trial and error, but I can also say with certainty that I’ve found the highest value information here and I thank you all for that.

While not yet ready for professional demos, I’m in the process of putting together my website (I really need a real email address) and social media accounts and looking for some advice or direction on a brand name. I have the following .com domains in my order of preference –

Karlsvoice, Karlgillettevo, Karlgillette, Karlvo, Britvo & Britishvoicepro (I know, but it was available!)

I welcome any thoughts, sage advice and ridicule on which would be a good place to start.

Thanks in advance,
Karl
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Register all those names and redirect them to your main web address.
Karl in CA

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eddie,

I have them all registered along with a handful of .Us & .Co domains & will do just that. I’m just undecided on which would be the best primary name.

Karl
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is one of the most refreshing posts I've seen in a while.

Regarding your primary domain, I would choose just my name if I could. (When your name is Jack Daniel, you can see how I had to add the "vo"--jackdanielvo.com) I think the "vo" is unnecessary and just gets in the way of people seeing your name. I wouldn't feel the need for all those other domains, which are not going to add appreciably to your SEO, if that's the concern. They're just going to drain your bank account slowly. Maybe just keep a couple of the good ones and let the others go...

Some basic SEO awareness is probably useful but I think people overvalue its impact yuuuugely. Buyers will go to your site if they hear about you and if you do good work.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you great luck and success, Karl!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something that resembles your name is nice, but in fact you could use "93squirrels&aMonkey.com".

You see almost no one enters your actual URL to get to your site. They hit a link somewhere which should be some combination of the words Karl, Gillette, British, and Voiceover with a link to your site, whatever its name is. This could be on a Google search, this bulletin board, your agents' sites, pay to play sites (God forbid), etc.

Also, I'd say don't bother with any domain other than a .com unless there's nothing with .com you feel you can like. Unless you have completely separate identities or lines of work you should only need one address. It's a waste of money and time. Domain sellers just want your yearly cash. You can divide your one URL into several different sub-domains as in "voice.karlvo.com" or "squirrels.karlvo.com".

Keep it sane by keeping it simple.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Unless you have completely separate identities or lines of work you should only need one address.

The possible exception to this could be if you have a name that people are likely to misspell. So if you were going to use karlgillette.com as your primary URL, I would consider buying carlgillette.com and linking it to your main address.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it now:

Karl Gillette - The Cutting Edge of British VO
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to add VO to my web addy because the NRA beat me to my own name.
I stick with registering addys if they are catchy enough someone else might want it.
Karl in CA

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all and thanks so much for the great advice. Thought I'd share an update.

KarlGillette.com it is and I've also registered some spelling variations. Karlsvoice.com will (among others) be linked and I'll probably use that for email as it's short & easy to impart. I'll share my simple logo/brand which should be done in a week so and then I can make a start on the website. Dan-O, I loved the catch phrase - may I use it? I'm not yet sure where but It may well find a place!

Classes are going great and I can feel and tangibly hear the improvement. It's quite clear that quality coaching is invaluable for someone like myself just starting out. I have another starting in 3 weeks, one in Oct and will be attending the workout one evening this week.

Since my landlord just significantly raised my rent and told me that I'm basically on my own for repairs, I felt comfortable making some improvements to my studio which now has another layer of 5/8" sheetrock for soundproofing (which also helps retain heat!) and some acoustic improvements. Now I really have nothing other than learning my craft to work on.

Once again thanks all, I'll share more updates as they come up,
Karl
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl in CA wrote:
Dan-O, I loved the catch phrase - may I use it? I'm not yet sure where but It may well find a place!

Absolutely. Put it on your site, business cards, mailings, and email signature. It doesn't matter whether or not the statement is true; it's meant to reinforce the memory of your name. Welcome to marketing. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: