VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What To Do With Old Gear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: What To Do With Old Gear? Reply with quote

I came into this business during the analog era where all of my audio equipment was wired together. Now in the digital age most of that wiring goes on digitally inside the equipment.

I've decided to attempt a bit of clean up and downsizing and I'm wondering what's the wisest (possibly most lucrative) way to get rid of these items I don't need, and I'm guessing most other home recordists don't need either.

I found this article which has ideas and several more links on what to do with computers, cell phones, and other electronics you no longer need. Wall warts anyone?

https://www.familyhandyman.com/smart-homeowner/what-to-do-with-your-old-chargers-wires-and-cables/

If you have any suggestions I'd love to see them!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small update... A local recycler takes audio and computer wire as is for 45 cents a pound and for DC converters (wall warts) they pay 10 cents per pound.

Hmmm. I might get a cheeseburger and fries out of this so far.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also came from the analog generation and by the turn of the century I had an entire recording studio of analog gear, most of which went into storage to make way for digital replacements.
After a while I decided to sell all of it, except for the components that were usable in the digital domain...mics, stands, cables, mic pre amps, other hardware, etc.
I ended up selling two Otari 1/4 mastering decks, and an Otari muti track deck, a 32 track console, and all related auto-locaters on Ebay to young recordists who were putting together start up studio projects.
My 16 track deck went to a guy in upper state NY who was building an analog studio in a barn. The two 1/4 decks went to a guy in Austin who was putting an analog studio together in a house. In both cases the buyers arranged for transport to his location and had the gear picked up.
The dozens and dozens of tape reels also got sold on Ebay...one by one.

Outdated digital gear has all been Pro Tools since 1995 so I've been able to return all qualifying elements to Avid for credit towards upgrades.

And, sadly, there have been a small few rack components that weren't worth going thru the sale and ship process so I either gave them away to a young person who had an interest in them or they went into the trash.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a place here in town called Green Monster Recycling. They take all kinds of electronic stuff. They don't pay you anything for it, but it keeps it out of the landfill and, just as importantly, gets it out of the house. Last week, I brought them two large old style TVs (the kind with picture tubes), a CRT monitor, and a dead flat-panel monitor. I still have every computer I have ever owned, dating back to my 386SX25, plus every hard drive and all the other component upgrades. I'm planning to gather up all that stuff and haul it over to Green Monster in the next few weeks. And if they still take microwaves, I'll drop off my original one that's more than 40 years old.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Ed Fisher
DC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also take old electronics at your neighborhood Staples

"you can recycle printers, desktop copiers, fax machines, keyboards, modems/routers, mice and PC speakers. Plus they'll take shredders, mobile phones, GPS devices, MP3 players, digital camcorders and digital cameras. Just drop off your items at the Staples service desk"
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh - you can't just take it out to the country, fill it with binary explosive and shoot it with an ak47? weird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: