VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Action this day

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Action this day Reply with quote

Permit me to clarify something. King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table are legends. My Father, gassed and blown up in the 1914-18 war was a hero, decorated too! The voiceover people you admire are neither. Buy a dictionary or a thesaurus.

If you know of a time when Don La Fontaine did a movie trailer whilst pinned down by machine gun fire or have a photo of Peter Cullen sipping coffee from the Holy Grail whilst sailing to somewhere on the Argonaut I'll stand corrected.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recently saw garth brooks muddle through "calling baton rouge" while 40 pounds over weight in a flop-sweat ... does that count?

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering we are in the business of communications, we don't always choose our own words with the care and attention they deserve. Hyperbole is the norm. Where do you go when you've substituted "awesome" for "competent"? ... Something that is mildly interesting is now "mind-blowing".

I'm also very concerned about the growing idolatry and cult-like following some of the more visible members of the voiceover business seem to be garnering (if not actively encouraging and promoting). Strangely enough, these "legends and heroes" all have something to sell (or am I being cynical?)
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never been much "star-struck". i've never been much for conferences, training or meeting "people". i'm not one of those guys that hears a national vo on tv and says "i could've done that!" i have my little niche here and i serve it and it serves me. i make the money i need and try to help some others make a few bucks along the way. when someone asks me for help - i try to help. sometimes i need help myself ... it all works out in the end. peter cullen and i both put our pants on one leg at a time --- it's just harder for him because he has two fists full of cash.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "where my head is" is best demonstrated by the fact that I had to Google Peter Cullen to see who he was. The name rang a bell, but I had no idea about who he was or what he did. Does that make me a bad voiceoverist?
Smile
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

see there? you went the extra mile! i just blindly took philips word for it.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
I'm also very concerned about the growing idolatry and cult-like following some of the more visible members of the voiceover business seem to be garnering (if not actively encouraging and promoting).

I completely agree. However, I will freely admit to referring to the late Peter Thomas as "legendary." In the early 1950s, he was one of the first people outside the still relatively new broadcasting industry to make a living doing nothing but commercial voice-overs, and then found himself in high demand for corporate and documentary productions and television programs. He indeed did become well-known in the media.

TV's "Forensic Files," despite wrapping production in 2011, still maintains a web page on Peter, the show's narrator since its debut in 1996. Paul Dowling, the show's producer, referred to Peter as "the franchise." But Peter, who worked until his passing at age 91 in 2015, was extremely low-key about his work.

Some have referred to Don LaFontaine as the "King of Voice-overs." I'll give him "King of Movie Trailers," perhaps, but he didn't come close to voicing the variety and sheer number of projects that Peter Thomas had.

audiblyandrea
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been researching, dabbling in, and stalking this industry for a few years now. I've had circumstances in life pull me from actively trying to create my niche in the vo world, but I've never stopped keeping myself informed and entertained by the vo world. I've also never stopped doing voice over, even if it was just for my own fun and development. I just love it. I adore watching all of the podcasts (when I make the time), scoping out the websites, reading the forums, etc. If it can be promoted or sold it's been in my inbox. Some subscriptions I've kept and I find value in the information being shared with me. I appreciate having them there. Others bombard me what they are selling next, followed by the special rate, followed by the last chance offer.... I unsubscribe from that ShI$ pretty quick.

The most consistent, practical resource for answers to my questions has always been this forum.

None of the voice over actors I admire have tried to sell me anything. I admire the work. I like voices. And good delivery.

And coffee.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest a better term for voice talents that are widely admired is “icon”. I believe iconic is best used with contemporary figures in our culture while legendary should be reserved for people whose actions will be told and retold for centuries. While we could easily list a few dozen voices we admire for their recorded achievements and unique sound, our industry is less than a century old, and as much as we love what they’ve done, few if any will be lauded a century hence. We produce ephemeral art. Enjoy your favorites while you can.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Harrison wrote:
I will freely admit to referring to the late Peter Thomas as "legendary."

I will even go as far as to call Peter Thomas a hero. He was among the troops who stormed the beaches on D-Day. His heroism had nothing, whatsoever, to do with voiceover.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bruce said, and what Lee said.

Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
am I being cynical?

You? Never.

audiblyandrea wrote:
None of the voice over actors I admire have tried to sell me anything.

This.

Bruce wrote:
We produce ephemeral art.

Also this. Few will be remembered, if any. The important thing is to influence things where you can, when you can, and leave things a little better than you found them. A nudge here, a nudge there. The butterfly flaps its wings, and hopefully the weather changes in Tokyo, as the cliche goes.

www.karynobryant.com
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the real world and there is the VO world.

I've often compared VOs to architects. When people walk down the street and see a building they admire, they may compliment it with a simple "Oh, that's pretty" and move on with there day. There was an architect who created that building and the name of that architect doesn't mean a thing to the general public. However, in "the world of architects" that name may have a level of respect. A career full of high profile structures that became so well known they are studied in classrooms. The students look up to their creations for inspiration, and the architects themselves for mentoring and possibly career advice.

Context, people.

A legend (in the VO world)
A hero (in the VO world)
An icon (in the VO world)

No one is comparing Mel Blanc to Ghandi. However, in a hundred years he will may likely be the only VO that is still mentioned in the history of early television and animation. Heck, eight years from now will mark the hundredth anniversary of the start of his career doing voices for radio shows. A legend in the VO world.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next, Harold Pinter on pausing. A vehicle for performance, essential stage craft or simply a means for actors to take a breath.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: