VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WTF Dude?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigsvoicetalent
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(This is from a perspective outside of the two main markets in the USA)
In the short time that I have been lucky enough to be involved in this industry I have learned many things. The most contentious, yet inevitable is that our industry, as well as most others is moving - if not already has moved - online. We order our transportation direct online (Uber, Lyft), we book our hotels online (priceline, booking.com etc), flights (expedia etc.), shopping (Amazon) and pretty much everything else.
The new generation of producers and creatives are immersed in this world. It will be pretty much all they know. Why would they work in any other realm? Online casting is not going away. The market dictates this. It is not a doom and gloom prophecy - it is a fact. Please notice that I said online casting sites - not P2P. I still think relationships are crucial at this point but I think they will, unfortunately, eventually go by the wayside also. If I really like an Uber driver, do I make sure I try and get him or her next time? No. It's whoever is closer and quicker.
You know what would be a game changer? If a large group of people who's business it is to make money from those they represent got together, I mean all got together. Combined some of their marketing budget, pooled their years of expertise and came up with something so amazing that it made the lives of all who use it simple. Clients and providers. The problem is - why would they do that? Why would a busy LA agency pool together with a Texas agent who doesn't have the same client list? That may allow a talent signed with the Texas agent to win the job over the LA agent. That's not going to fly. It would have to be something different, something that has not already been thought of. I don't know what it would look like.
Until then, I am going to use the internet to my advantage. I work with my coach in LA online, connect to my clients via Source Connect online, buy my equipment online and through my marketing - try and make my head stand above the parapet online. Nobody else is going to do it for me. There may still be a portion of this industry that "it's not just what you know - but who you know". The issue is, as a "new guy", it takes time to build those relationships that many who have been in this industry have worked long and hard to create. Does it deter me - hell no! This is a business and I have a business plan I am following to get me where I need to be. OK, message sent - online!

British Voice Over
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigsvoicetalent wrote:
...This is a business and I have a business plan I am following to get me where I need to be.

Actually, that puts you head and shoulders above many newcomers to the business!

The agents have made a small effort to unite... the VOAA (Voice Over Agents Alliance) has good principles, but like anything else in this business, it's like herding cats.

... as for the other stuff... there are many people out there who push themselves as providing valuable resources for the talent in his never-ending quest for someone with a checkbook. Unfortunately, more often than not, this is simply double-speak for, "I've found a way to get a slice of the pie."
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This really does apply to us .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/business-47075753/if-you-hire-the-wrong-people-they-can-bleed-you-dry
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my last boss in the corporate world had a saying "are you in the right seat on the bus?" he used it a LOT. that applies here, i think. the last time he asked me i said, "no, i'm not. as a matter of fact, i hate the bus, i should be on a boat - driving the boat - away from here." and that was that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: