VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Politicals Demo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Politicals Demo Reply with quote

Has anyone put together a demo of political spots ( or part therein)? Ar you willing to share, either here, at "Critique," or to my email? I'm curious as I'm going to do that very thing and want to hear samples.
Thanks!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above post probably just shows the degree of USA-centricity here on VO-BB and how far away I am from most of my friends here and I'm not talking geographically.

Now here's the Brit voice perspective, why do a politicals demo? How many demo's do you need? Cars, houses ,white goods, movie trailers, tv trailers, movies on TV trailers, imaging for CHR/AC/ACR/C&W/Top40, clothes, lingerie, on-hold, silence, pauses ......................The list goes on and on.

Is is not the case that your voice demo shows off your voice to such an extent that a producer/casting director listening to it knows you are right for his spot without the demo being "spot" specific.

Apologies to Diane for semi-threadjacking.

Just out of interest a TV politcal in the UK for the Scottish National Party featured both the voices of Philip Banks and Sir Sean Connery, neither of us have a Political Demo. I'm far too successful and the upstart from Edinburgh was just copying!!!
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Is is not the case that your voice demo shows off your voice to such an extent that a producer/casting director listening to it knows you are right for his spot without the demo being "spot" specific.

One would think so. However, even with all the kudos I received on my latest imaging demo, I'm finding that to really get the attention of P.Ds, you need demos in various formats. Mine is probably viewed like a "sampler platter", covering four or five formats in well under 60 seconds.

I'd long believed that that was the whole point of a demo --- show your range and knock 'em dead within that minute --- but the landscape appears to be a-changin'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhouston67 wrote:
I'm finding that to really get the attention of P.Ds, you need demos in various formats.

I would say with all the media surrounding us all...people (Station managers, P.Ds and whoever else) have lost some of their imagination. Or perhaps everyone expects custom demos nowadays in this "have it now" society. Having demos in the key areas I am best is my current production endevour. "Do what you do best and focus, focus, focus" is my new motto.

For example....Joe Cip has demos for promos of all types (dramas, comedy etc) as well as imaging demos for several station types that he fits sound-wise. I say, if you can do it....do it and have a great demo for it. If you are fooling yourself or think you might be....find someone unafraid to rip into your stuff and let you know what it really sounds like (someone objective but not your friend). But, the key in my opinion, do what you do best and focus your energy. Most dogs can only catch one squirrel at a time. Have you heard a on-hold demo from DLF? No, he is doing what he does best.

I would say on the other hand...Banksey has one of those voices that you can hear anywhere because it's just that good. Thus, no need for special demos from a legend. He paints pictures with words....a skill I am still working on myself.

Go get 'em!

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: It's all in the mind of the beholder.....and the salesman. Reply with quote

If someone likes something they heard on your demo, be ready to send more specific examples in the specialty they are looking for

Last edited by Jowillie on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a political demo because it is often quite a different style of work than commercial work, especially the snide side. Here's mine. It's a bit longer than I'd like but I thought the last "get out the vote" piece I did might be of unusual interest to the politicos who might hire me:

Political Demo

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

No worries, as I'm amazed and marveling at the trajectory in which this has gone!

I ought to say that the focus on a political demo is because a friend of mine is heading up a campaign in Louisiana (a tough one, too, so he says) and has many contacts among those who do the same, for races all around The New World. I asked him if I could send him a demo and he was more than happy to accept and thus, I'm to craft one specific to the possible gig(s).

Bruce, thanks for your (most excellent) demo. And this is true:

Quote:
it is often quite a different style of work than commercial work, especially the snide side.

I voiced some spots leading to a primary in early summer, and the copy was SO snide ("SHE said this and HE said that and WE believe this and HERE is the truth and nanner nanner nanner..."). Trouble was, it was to be read with NO emotion. So if you listen to Bruce's first couple of pieces on his political demo, that's the approach I so wanted to take, but was denied. Monotone, I tell ya. That was the clincher, after many takes and direction to keep all emotion (read: interpretation) out of it. Tough assignment, it really was.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The situation in the UK is that any political broadcast is produced by the Party HQ so there isn't the proliferation of "Politicals" here that one would find in the USA. We do have one thing in common, the weariness towards politicians and their behaviour.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a political demo. If I can figure out how to post it around here I will. It's not on my website at present, largely because I think political stuff can be polarizing (regardless of the listener's politics).

(UPDATE TO POST: Thanks to DB, a link to the demo appears below . . .)

My motivations for putting one together were a). I happened to have enough spots to do one -- and b). more and more often of late, I get requests for very specific types of reads and genres (for lack of a better term). This is also why I have always had several demos cut for a variety of specific styles, personalities and reads.

The most specific request I've had recently is for a demo about "food". Seriously. Someone producing for The Food Network came calling and asked if I had a demo that illustrated my ability to talk about food. The best I could muster on short notice was my program demo (which is different from narration, by the way) and some restaurant spots. We'll see if it does the trick or not.

But it just goes to show ya . . . you never know what people will want next or how narrow a focus they will have! If you have the time and money, do as many as you can.

Lisa

Lisa's Political Demo
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Nice to see you back posting Reply with quote

Lisaloo--nice to see you back around the old vo-bb. I hope your absence meant you were too busy with work($$$) to be here.

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: