VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's CONTINUE to send "Victim" signals to the mar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:59 am    Post subject: Let's CONTINUE to send "Victim" signals to the mar Reply with quote

This https://exeter.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/fair-pay
No, no ,no, no, NO!

It is "sort of" well intentioned. I know the man behind it, not a member of the college staff, nice man.

We are NOT an industry and we are not here to "educate clients" or collect numbers.

On social media I posted a view at odds with the intentions of the survey. Yer man "unfollowed" me. He is perfectly entitled to do that but I do not believe it to be a healthy way to debate.

"Ayes to the right. Nays to the firing squad"

The good news is that differences of opinion in the VO world aren't important. The bigger "polarization of society" is deeply concerning.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it just to see what he was asking. I agree that his intentions are probably good, but the whole thing stinks of tilting at windmills. VOs are not, and will never be, organized. There will always be someone who will proudly undercut "standard" rates and pat themselves on the back for getting jobs and being a part of "show business".

So... it's a lost cause. You can't tell clients what to pay... the only thing you can do is advise VOs what to charge (only a union can mandate what they charge). In an ideal world, a job that has a "true market value" (whatever that is) of $500 will always have someone willing to do it for $50... and the problem is that some of these cheap VOs are quite good... they just don't know the value of what they're selling, or have the business sense to even find out. In an ideal world, good VOs would charge appropriately, and crap ones would low-ball... and the buyer would make their decision based on the quality of the service provided.

It's not the clients who are at fault and need educating here... it's the VOs who tell them they are doing the right thing. It's not an industry (as Philip says)... it's an uncontrolled free-for-all where you stay ahead by doing a good job and following your own rules.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Let's CONTINUE to send "Victim" signals to the Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:

We are NOT an industry

Damn. I guess this means we can't be Voice Industrialists.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: