VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Workshop-w00t!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Recording Workshop-w00t! Reply with quote

Hey Kids--
I'll be heading to Chillicothe, Ohio on New Year's Day to the Recording Workshop 5-week total-immersion program.

This is*THE* program I have been looking for FOR YEARS -- an in-person learning environment without having to be enrolled in a degree program.

Kevin Genus put this flea in my ear a while back-- he told me about a Coding Bootcamp, and I've been on the prowl for a program that would expand my skills without beggaring me in the process.

The Recording Workshop

Starts Jan 2, runs into the first weekend in Feb.

I'm positively giddy. I never went away to college, but this must be what it would have felt like! I'll be in the company of mostly younger people, which will be a scream. On-campus housing is actual houses.

I'm driving, so I'll have my car when I'm there. Chillicothe is an hour south of Columbus, and I'm hoping to see some pals while I'm there.

When I'm done, I'll have some honest-to-goodness recording engineering skills. It's exciting to contemplate knowing more than just what I need to get by.

LOOK OUT! Life is grand.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! I've been there for a recording session with friends back in the 90s and know a few working grads from then as well. I'm sure a lot has changed technology wise, but the program is highly regarded in the region.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 6 weeks time I will ask again what "Oh just normalise to -3db" means. Some would have me believe that unlike 11 it is 8 quieter.(ish)
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sounds super!!! have fun storming the castle!

Mandy Nelson
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how I love this! I will miss you but you will grow in leaps and bounds and decibels. I was set on the broadcast journalism track when I fell in love with the recording studio and was lucky enough to change majors to audio engineering (all while still doing broadcast work). Knowing more than turning it off and back on again is mind blowing.

Jeesh, they grow up so fast.

Manfillappsoc: The Mandy and Philip mutual appreciation Society. Who's in your network?

Have you seen my mic closet? ~ me to my future husband
Karyn OBryant
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a FABULOUS time, Deebs!
Learn lots.
Do fun things.

www.karynobryant.com
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch out for the college boys.

What am I saying?

Somebody call the school and tell those boys to watch out for DB!! Laugh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you are having a great time of it, Deirdre!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates? Pics?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't taken any pix yet! That is odd. I will make a point to document this place this coming week.

So far we have had lectures on Signal flow, Dynamics processing, reverb and delay and other audio effects, recording workflows, microphone technology, the nature of percussion and how to mic drums, miking amps, Stereo miking techniques, audio monitors, Mixing and REmixing, and a tour thru Logic Pro.

We've learned how to use a 32 channel MCI 600 series mixing console, and a digital 24 track Pro Tools recording setup. Sends and returns. Busses.

We're using Pro Tools to try out mixing and effects in the computer lab. There are tutorials and ready-made projects to work on, plus we are all doing group student projects: recording and mixing the different student bands that either arrived here intact or were thrown together by providence.
I am in the "apparently senior" student group-- 5 people. It's an interesting melange of IT guys, a career army retiree, and a shop manager of some kind. With the exception of Mister Army, they don't talk about their professional lives, and nobody is talking about their personal life.
The younger people in the school are endlessly entertaining. Some real talent here- technically and musically. There are 4 young women and the rest are college-age guys. 30 student total. The teachers are fab.

Some of this stuff is real dunk-tank learning-- they tell you about it and then throw you in the deep end. The teams work together to exploit the strengths of the individuals which helps everyone learn quickly. Sometimes it feels like being 16 and taking the driver's test, but it ends up becoming less freaky-outy in pretty short order.

I am still working on getting a decent recording setup for the work I am getting. This place is focused on recording MUSIC, not VO, so it's a bit of an uphill climb to create a real tight VO space. The boss here is interested in making it happen, though, so the chief engineer (who affectionately refers to the students at large as "you fuckers") and I have had a few meetings. Once he heard some of my work, and realized that I can discern reflections in rooms he assumed were "quiet enough" he became somewhat chummier.
I am having a very good time.
BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous of your opportunity Deebs...but thrilled that you get to experience it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: