VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Site

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  

So, what do you think of the new design?
Excellent
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Very good
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
Good
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Average
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Not so good
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Bad
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
A complete waste of pixels
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Web Site Reply with quote

OK. Me again.

Finally having a halfway decent commercial demo inspired me to finally finish the website redesign which I've been tinkering with for nigh-on forever it seems.

I wanted to strip it down to the bare basics and yet still have it visually interesting. At least as interesting as a design hack like me can produce. I looked at a lot of peoples websites - including everyone on this board - and took note of everything that I thought was unnecessary and therefore ultimately irrelevant and removed it from my design.

I therefore impose again on your goodselves and request any opinions/feedback on the following:

Load time
Visual interest
Navigation
Too little info?
Too much info?
What kind of image does it present (yeah...takes itself too seriously, I know)

or anything else you care to add.

I added a little poll above as well for casual critiquers Laugh

And now.....Ta-da

The all new shiney website

Maiku

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click here to enter ... No, no! I only ever like to see the intro page. Click here for info. Sorry I thought I'd get that when I clicked the last time, you're not catching me out twice. Now, where's the click to leave button....Bound to be here somewhere ......
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I agree with Philip. I would not use an intro page. But, the site itself is shiny and quite agreeable looking. Loads plenty quick on my broadband connection.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intro page is a waste, on the 2nd page which should be the first page, do the mic in full color as its an awesome image.

Lots of black and a bit of grey is not my cup o'tea. Can you add a bit of brightness? Not looking for hot pink but just something a bit less noir.

Sound like a lot of complaints but actually I think if you make those small changes, the rest of the site is fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Design wise... I really like it. The feel of the site really matches what I think when I listen to your voice. Very clean, professionnal and functional...

A few suggestions:

- I'll echo the splash page sentiments, not necessary and just takes me one more click to get to what I really want... Your voice! However, I agree with Peter, you really need to work that microphone image into the site somewhere that does it justice, who can argue with a smokin' U87 ? Wink

- The "intro" page lacks some spice... the text all seems to just get lost on the page for me... I can't really pin it down, but if you could somehow work the mic image into it, I think the page itself would really pop. It appears that you are having some mapping issues on the page as well... the entire text frame is hyperlinked to http://www.michaelrhys.com/home.html... Also, I personally don't like sites that are written in 3rd person, when I know full well that it's a personal promotion site... if you were a small business with 6 employees selling multiple services I wouldn't be adverse to it.

- You may want to make the demos stand out a bit more... I might even suggest working the iPod player into your intro of home page, it might break up the text and really allows the listener to get down to business.

- Contact page works for me

- I like the client's page, however you're having the mapping issue again... a number of areas are linked to a mailto: command. Also, there is no navigation on the page, so if I want to get to your demos I have to use the back button and then find the "samples link.... okay, after I typed. that last part I realized that there is navigation, but it really blends into the other client logos... I guess that just reinforces that you should look at the method of navigation on the page... it somehow needs to be different from the logos

- Samples page, I like the iPod style control, however the size of the text was a bit of a challenge for me.

Don't get me wrong, design wise I really like it, just a few things that I think would make it even better.

Cheers,

Brian
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent feedback. I've made some interim adjustments and will do some more permanent fixes when I get the time.

The splash page is still there, but now has the links included to integrate it more closely into the design. I will try to eventually include the smoking Britmic in the info page and lose the opening splash page altogether.

I put more space around the links in the client page to seperate them more from the logos. Again, I might rework this later.

The mapping problems have been fixed.

The iPod has been enlarged to make reading the screen text easier. I'm thinking I might have now made it too big. Any thoughts?

I feel that self promotion in the 1st person is a tricky area as there is always the danger of it coming across as a touch arrogant and boastful. It requires a deft set of fingers to craft that kind of text. 3rd person is a lot easier for a hack like me. Laugh

Cheers again for the feedback. What a cool place this is!

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blacks and greys... professional looking.
... but I agree with Peter. That Union Jack mic needs brighter colors.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it in now Mike, I like it! The splash page works nicely as it is, because it doesn't appear to be a splash page, it's actually a directional page.

Good stuff!

Cheers,

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: