VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Storytellers!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Storytellers! Reply with quote

The most profound and important point made about where we are now can be found in this video. We really do NOT tell stories to one another any more. We are unable to engage, captivate, bring a room of 4 diners or 400 conference delegates to a hush, to the point of tears or beyond, to inform, to educate, to inspire fear then replace it with confidence, to open the world, A world and above all else laugh so much there are breathless tears of delight twinkling in the darkness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KK2OBZIcRw
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I think the many sources of distraction play a big part; many would say they don't have the time, and some don't seem willing to make the time.

Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but there are corners of the world, and small venues, where storytellers do gather to share and listen: The Moth

During my formative years in narration, my coach turned me on to The Moth radio/podcasts. After listening every day for about two weeks and taking notes on the rhythm and arc of crafting a good story, my coach then gave me a homework assignment; to tell my own story in front of an audience.

Holy smokes, was that a frightening idea.

The opportunity arose at a fundraising auction for my kids' elementary school. Another father and myself were asked to speak just before the tax-deductible cash donation request. He went first with a delightful little story about our two kids exchanging catnip one day and the discovery of the bag in his son's drawer. He quickly confused it for a different type of dried plant that is also often found in zip lock bags.

My job was to pull the heartstrings. (Quick summation) It was a story of my mother who had passed of cancer just the year prior. (Let me tell you, the instant I said the word cancer the entire room fell silent. It was absolutely unnerving I had that much control over the room at that moment.) She was a teacher. And relayed tales of how she shifted the lives of her students with guidance and compassion. And how I see those same traits in the very teachers at the school. How can we help the teachers? Raise your paddle.

As the event came to a close, I was approached by so many people thanking me for the story. Tears were shed. Parents and teachers remembered. Most importantly, we more than doubled their best year in donations.

The homework assignment was a challenge. It enlightened me on how to write and craft a story, how to connect with an audience on an emotional level, and how to leave them with a subconscious need to act.

If you're up to the challenge, I think it's worth pursuing on your own journey as a storyteller.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

Thank you for sharing that moving and inspirational story!
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a moving story - and I bookmarked The Moth website and listened to a few stories with a "Second Chances" theme...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: