VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SSD drive on Mac for recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: SSD drive on Mac for recording Reply with quote

At George Whittam's behest (I hired him to come by and tune some things up in the studio--truly excellent work), I've add an external SSD drive to my iMac. The iMac has one of those questionable "fusion" drives and has been getting sluggish of late. Anyway, has anyone done this? I just changed my cache drive on Audition to the SSD drive in the hope of avoiding the hiccups I've run into of late.
jim edgar
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a couple people with those fusion drives. They are basically a micro SSD drive linked with traditional spinning drive. They seem to get wonky especially when loaded past ~60% capacity (based on my non-scientific survey). They really aren't my favorite.

If you can offload older stored projects to the external drive, that may help things a bit.

The only issue I could think of might be the theoretical delay in writing from the computer through the USB port to the new drive for caching. But I'd reckon you are more likely to have an issue if the cache setting is low than it having to do with the destination drive. >1024 for the cache is pretty safe across the board, IME.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim edgar wrote:

The only issue I could think of might be the theoretical delay in writing from the computer through the USB port to the new drive for caching. But I'd reckon you are more likely to have an issue if the cache setting is low than it having to do with the destination drive. >1024 for the cache is pretty safe across the board, IME.

Yeah, I'll never do a Fusion drive again. As for your point above, George noted that the speed of USB 3 connecting to solid state far outweighs the time lost in the spinning of a traditional/fusion drive.

I'm trying to figure out what, besides the caches, I can put on the SSD to make things mo' better.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have one ssd dedicated to OS, another dedicated to applications & a third as a "work drive" or "sandbox". i use a spinning drive for scratch discs because "they" say a ssd has a limited number of read/write cycles - even though "they" can't tell me how many that is.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i have one ssd dedicated to OS, another dedicated to applications & a third as a "work drive" or "sandbox". i use a spinning drive for scratch discs because "they" say a ssd has a limited number of read/write cycles - even though "they" can't tell me how many that is.

"Hey, who ya callin' 'they'?!" --Them.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SSD prices are dropping.
https://kinjadeals.theinventory.com/you-need-an-ssd-its-crucial-and-super-cheap-right-now-1831043912?ks=streamshare&ks=nativestream
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: