VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-million VO myth buster

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Multi-million VO myth buster Reply with quote

Make millions with your voice! Sign up today! Why wouldn't you do that? Because as far as I am able to tell from my knowledge and experience no one makes "several million" a year from VO work.

Full disclosure - Recently My best day for billing $15,500. Best week for gittin' m'paychecks $29,500. They are recent numbers. Also worth noting that several weeks ago in order to ensure a little more security I juggled my finances. With hindsight it was a good decision but in the transition period I nearly broke what I was trying to fix. My bank manager became the NYPD Captain.

"I'm givin' you 48 hours Detective Banks and then your ass is mine!"

Here's the claim, pacifically the LA claim.

"Top VO talent make several million"
1 = million
3 = few million

So, being literal because it was literally said, several needs to be greater than 3. Let's go for 4.

$4 million per year = $15,400 per day. 5 days per week. 52 weeks per year. Just numbers.

Go back to my numbers and you'll see that by using my best day then multiplying .......

Mathematically possible but I am not a "several million ..."

When I talk to people about doing VO work I always deal with what is probable and what is possible. The probable is the most important. 100 set out on the road to voice over Heaven. 2 years later 98 have not made a penny.

"What do you believe about yourself m'dear aspiring VO that will propel you into the upper 2%? If I told you that this Christmas you will be repeating what happened to me around umpteen years ago (estimate). Could you do it? I was married and had exactly $14.42 to pay all the bills and celebrate the birth of the tiny baby Jesus. Care to try?"

It is possible to get angry, express an opinion, wax lyrical about the state of the universe or regurgitate a dreary VO anecdote with no evidence to support it but I have never, anywhere seen or heard anyone run the real numbers.

"Well, y'know my income is between me and .."

True. Look above and you'll see that my disclosure is only partial and merely establishes what is NOT happening.

Our business is not for dreamers, it is like any other business "take the chance but manage the risks"

Am I really missing something or is the VO business simply mything something?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: