VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voice Sample of me reading
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uchon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Voice Sample of me reading Reply with quote

Hello. What a great forum!

Ive had people tell me I had a distinct or soothing voice, and that maybe I should do something audio related.

I have no idea where to start so I decided to record myself reading something. I was hoping to get feedback from anyone who would be willing.

[url]removed[/url]

Let me know what you think or how I could improve.

Thank you so much.

Last edited by Uchon on Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Uchon,

I hate to see posts go unanswered so I will help in that respect.

One of the reasons your post has probably not received any responses is your first sentence. “I’ve had people tell me I had a distinct or soothing voice, and that maybe I should do something audio related”

You probably aren’t aware but statements like that to those who do this for a living, regardless of how soothing your voice is, are like nails on a blackboard. If soothing voices or distinct voices were the criteria, most of us would be out of work. If you really listen to most voiceover work, most voices are not soothing and most are not distinct, as REALLY “distinct” often takes away from the message itself. Like having Gilbert Gottfried advertise for sleep number beds. Even though that might be quite interesting.

With that being said, we all have "distinct" voices. That’s how we know who’s calling when we get a phone call. Friend or stranger. So going underneath those two opening statements, what are you looking for in this post?

Not trying to be a wise guy here. Just want to know where you’d like to go with this.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

Here's the thing. Your friends are correct about your voice. Where do you go with that? Get some training in performance skills and the world will be your oyster.

Bon chance!
Uchon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. Not sure what to say.

If in fact what you say is true--coming here and stating the reality of what I've experienced...i.e. going about my life and having friends and strangers note my voice as being distinct and soothing, encouraging me to record things, to the point where it got thinking "hmm, I might give it a try since people keep telling me to."

If that is so irritating("nails on a chalkboard") to the members of this forum then I'll look elsewhere for feedback. I'm certainly not going to lie about what I'm doing here.

As I am a total novice to this field, any advice I could take to directly improve my content would be enormously helpful to me (I'll look into training), but my apologies for wasting people's time.

Ta.
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uchon wrote:
If that is so irritating("nails on a chalkboard") to the members of this forum then I'll look elsewhere for feedback.

Being new to Voiceover I guess you wouldn’t understand, so I apologize. I certainly don’t want to make you feel unwelcome. The fact is, “I’ve been told I have a great voice, should I get into Voiceover?” has been asked so often by so many that it’s become a cliché. One that is joked about often. But again, you wouldn’t know that.

Bottom line, asking that is like asking, “I’m tall, should I play basketball?” You should play basketball if you have a passion for basketball. If you don’t, being tall isn’t going to give you an interest in the game. You should get into Voiceover if you have a passion to see what it’s all about. But the word ‘passion’ is a key. Without it, you’ll fall by the wayside like the majority of others. It’s not easy, it won’t come easy unless you’re some kind of prodigy, and it most likely will take years to actually achieve any major success.

So again, I tried to note that I wasn’t trying to be a wise guy by asking, but I guess I didn’t throw out the welcome mat either. Maybe someone here will offer you something more than Philip, but that’s pretty basic, bottom line advice. Start working at it and see what happens.

Good luck!

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick's analogy of 'should you play basketball if you're tall' is spot on. You should pursue a sport only if you love it and must do it. Being tall helps but it's a tiny part of the game.

You should pursue a job in voiceover (or voice acting, or announcing, or audiobook reading, or any form of acting for that matter) if you love the idea, and the study, the practice, and hard work that go with it or any path you choose.

Yes, your voice is pleasant. You and thousands of others have nice voices. But only a few people really have the need to follow up. Are you one of them?

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Uchon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Riley wrote:

Bottom line, asking that is like asking, “I’m tall, should I play basketball?”

Don't recall ever asking such a question about voice recording. I simply recall asking for ways to improve.

But it's fine. I made the mistake of stating why I started, and it happened not to be that I had a burning passion for craft that I've only done once in my life. So naturally I would garner few constructive responses with actionable feedback. Makes sense.

Btw plenty of successful NBA players enter the sport simply because they were tall. Only later do they find out that they love it. Other's dont, and yet still develop the skills to be successful and break records.

Anyway. Lesson learned. I'll get out of your hair, fellas.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi uchon - this little corner of the web is a great source of information and unvarnished opinions. if you think you'd like to give talking out loud for money a try - i say gopher it! search the archives here for a wealth of information. look into community theater near you, maybe improv. there are people here all along the voiceover path - some can help you - some might even learn from you.

DO NOT go out & spend thousands of dollars on gear and coaching ... just yet. i don't say that because i don't think you can make it (i don't know) - but because there are lots of charlatans out there that will gladly take your money and tell you you are bound for stardom. rick & bruce are right - there are lots of "pleasant" voices out there - it takes more than that, as i'm sure you already know.

if you're looking for cheerleaders this probably ain't the place - if you want to learn - stick around. read - ask questions - develop a thick, thick skin - because in this business (even when you're successful) you get told "no" a hullava lot more than "yes".

Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uchon wrote:

Anyway. Lesson learned. I'll get out of your hair, fellas.

Uchon, considering all that has been said, I would suggest taking the advice of Mr. Banks. I don't think he would have said what he said if he did not see a glimmer of talent that needed some training. Pursue a talent that you desire. Not a talent that your friends desire for you.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, when will we learn not to respond to first-time posters in the Critique section? How many times have noobs come in here and pissed on a pro's hard-earned expertise because Mommy didn't give them a trophy? From now on the first response should be "Do you want the truth or just say nice things so you'll go away?"

/Sorry, but not sorry. This guy's entitlement and sarcasm really got under my skin.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey buddy! First of all, it takes a lot of guts to hit a forum of any profession and ask for advice. Everyone has to start somewhere. And if beginners, or even those before they even know where to begin actually know where to begin, they'd be psychic. If that were the case, my advice would be to go into the stock market, not vo.

As you saw from the many responses, it's not about the voice. It's about the acting. There's no such thing as a good voice. There's no such thing as a bad voice. There are just good actors and bad actors.

I think what you need to take from some of these responses is, unless the compliments you are getting are coming from casting directors, agents, producers, etc., well, you need to consider the source.

I just took a listen to your recording. Buddy, I hear terrific raw talent. If you have never had an acting class in your life, you have natural talent. I believe we are born with talent. A painter is born with the talent to paint. An actor is born with the talent to act. Same goes for a singer, dancer, etc. As raw and untrained as your read is. it's also sincere and authentic. Your natural born talent comes through. But you need training and technique. You need solid acting technique so you have the skills to take your natural talent and repeat it at will. But you DO have natural talent!!

So drink it in that it's not about the voice. And, you need to learn the business of the business. You need to study and not put the cart before the horse. Those who are not in the know don't even know what the vo cart is, let alone the vo horse.

SO-for starters reads through this site:
https://iwanttobeavoiceactor.com

Dee is a good buddy of mine. And he has put together a very clear, well written site on vo, from beginner to working pro. I think you just need to understand exactly what vo is or means. Dee and I were on a panel at Comic-con a couple of years ago and someone in the audience asked, "I purchased a great mic and converted my closet into a pretty good recording space. How do I get work?" Dee asked if this person had any acting of vo training. He had nada. So Dee said, "Just because you buy a tuba doesn't mean you are ready to play in an orchestra!" Brilliance!!!

And I feel your frustrations regarding some of the responses here. If you are right for show business, all of this should light a fire under your ass with a passion and a desire to want this even more. If you really want to get into vo, then you've been given a great gift in your frustration. My advice is to check your ego at the door. Don't be insulted by some of these responses. Take what is being said and run with it.

I took my first vo class when I was 14. I was dreadful. At my first class I was told by a top vo actor I had zero talent and should stop wasting my parent's money chasing a pipe dream. As devastated as I was, I thought to myself well, that's one person's opinion. So, I will never work with him. So what??!! He actually made me want this even more. His arrogance and bluntness I took as a gift. The next time I saw him was 4 years later working on my first cartoon.

So, read through Dee's page. If you want to get an idea of the different genres of vo, check out the websites of the top vo agents in the industry:
http://atlastalent.com
http://www.cesdtalent.com
http://www.sbvtalent.com

There are plenty more, but this should give you an idea of the different genres of vo, and what you need to live up to and be better than just to pursue. Surf the actor's demos. Then google them, surf their websites, their social media pages. Research whom they follow, and who follows them. From agents to casting directors, other actors, etc. You will see electronic career road maps.

Also, spend a few hundred hours watching these interviews:
https://www.vobuzzweekly.com

You will see interviews with top actors, agents, producers from all things vo. And, everything I have posted is 100% free. Within all of this you will also find info on coaches, what to look for and look OUT for when it comes to coaches. You will learn what makes a competitive demo, and what gets an agent's attention.

Don't throw in the towel. And if you have any further questions, feel free to drop me a note. bob@bobbergen.com If you really want to pursue vo, you have a lot of work ahead of you. For now, just surf. You have literally hours and hours of content to take in. Get busy!! Wink
Rick Riley
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
And I feel your frustrations regarding some of the responses here. .. Don't be insulted ...

Why should he be insulted? I originally asked where he wanted to go with this. He got offended at my ‘nails on the blackboard’ analogy with the question, and when I saw he didn’t understand it, I apologized and explained. Then when I saw that he found fault with my basketball analogy as well, of which Bruce affirmed, I thought, ‘Ok, this guy’s a lost cause, at least for my help... I’m out’

Regardless, everyone, save for Dan offered him sound advice and was nice about it. Honestly, at this point I’m kind of siding with Dan. We’ve all gone out of our way not to offend and I certainly can’t see why there needs to be coddling for what’s been offered.

Just my opinion, which apparently may be offensive.

www.rickrileyvoice.com
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you're a saint. I'm not sure any of what you wrote will sink in, but your generosity knows no bounds.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's time for me to assemble the best of our newbie advice in one spot so we can direct the curious to better paths to enlightenment.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I signed up for the vo-bb I posted here so that other could hear what I did and in the post I was witty and light-hearted. OR SO I THOUGHT!

I WAS JUMPED ON FROM A GREAT HEIGHT. Such was the attack I wrote to Deebs, explained, apologised and suggested I be removed should she feel I wasn't a good fit.

Her response?

"Sure, yer fine! Let's see how it goes!"

Writing (posting) in one voice then that post being read in different voice can lead to a powerful class of problems. I learned that the hard way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: