VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IT S'port

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: IT S'port Reply with quote

My elderly and frail PC has two hard drives. OS drive with a variety of programmes on it has 1mb of space, other hard drive has 599mb of space remaining. I need to ensure that "other drive" is used for programmes, updates and shoes etc as there is no room at the other Inn. Any ideas.

Note. You are explaining a Ferrari to a man who has only ever seen a Donkey.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1mb of space is DANGEROUSLY low ... honestly, 599mb ain't much safer.

are you mac or pc?

if you are able to clear out some space on both drives to an external SSD (solid state drive) i think you will find your computer running faster. like a fat guy losing 50 pounds.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Todd said.

I'm much more Mac-adept, but I'd be pretty sure that even on a PC (perhaps even more so), the OS drive needs ample room to store necessary system files and to do regular background "housekeeping." Especially with only one MB of free space, it could soon reach a point where your computer will stop operating; of course, we hope it would generate a warning to that effect first. But, yes, more drive space is in order.

Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a short term plan is delete all data files you KNOW you you won’t ever need again such as old documents, photos, and audio files. Then purchase another external drive, install it, create folders on it that will help you find the things you move there, and then with both the new drive and old drive contents displayed move things you want to keep (but don’t need for your recording software) onto the new drive.

Long term, hire someone to help you organize your drives including adding another external drive to automatically backup all your files daily. High capacity drives are cheaper than a run to Tesco for basics and can fit into a shirt pocket.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am very fond of the seagate expansion usb3 drives (not SSD) for backup - i have 9 of them of various sizes - have even edited 4k video from them. at around $20/TB - it's just silly to not have the space.

Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
High capacity drives are cheaper than a run to Tesco for basics and can fit into a shirt pocket.

While I'm not necessarily recommending this brand, I've been using Glyph Studio Mini drives for about three years (they're very quiet and stay remarkably cool; the SSDs Todd mentions would be silent). About the size of a pack of cigarettes, their maximum capacity is currently 2 TB. Two of these drives are dedicated to nothing but audio and video. There's a Client Audio folder on each drive, each containing a folder for each of my clients. I record to the appropriate client folder on drive 1 (and do any editing there, too). Every hour, a backup utility copies any new files from the Client Audio folder on drive 1 to its corresponding folder on drive 2. A second backup is made to an Archive drive. The backup utility is configured to "mirror;" overwrite backed up copies with any changes made to the original files.

I'm happy to help, if I can.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i am very fond of the seagate expansion usb3 drives (not SSD) for backup

But an "elderly" PC is likely to have USB2, but not USB3. And I agree that a regular, non-SSD, drive is adequate, as long as the computer and/or drive is not in the booth where its noise would be picked up by the microphone.

Depending upon how long in the tooth this PC is, perhaps the best solution is to replace it with a new one, preferably from a dealer who can assist in transferring programs and files over to the new machine.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you're running Windows version whatever with C:> as your main OS & program drive, and D:> as your data drive.

Your C:> drive needs immediate intervention! It's probably littered with all sorts of crap from previous installs and unused programs (Windows is not that good at cleaning up after itself). Uninstall any programs you do not use any more and then try and do clean-up. It's amazing how much cruft Windows (and OS X) carries with it... documentation in 97 languages and stuff like that. Check that some programs haven't been using the C:> drive for data storage... searching for wav files may help... they can take up a lot of space. You may be able to get enough space to breathe for a while.

The D:> drive is easier if it's just data. Clean up as much as possible... but as the others have said, a bigger drive is a must. You should be able to just copy over all the data to make sure it's safe. Most brands are good... MyBook is fine... get a 2TB (or a 2x2TB configured as a RAID array)... they're as cheap as chips. All the USB 3 drives should be downwards compatible with USB 2.

You need to solve the short term problem of capacity first. I'm assuming your existing data drive (D) is larger than your boot drive (C). Once you have space, you can then duplicate (clone) the existing C onto the old D, which you will need to make the new C.

Clear as mud. It should be noted that I haven't touched a PC since going Mac in 2006, so I bow to the more current users who are up to speed on what Microsoft have done to Windows in the last ten years. I may even be antiquated by referring to the drives as "C & D" :)
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using the knowledge from all of the above and thanks in no small part to the Lord I invented a new approach. Napalm 2.0 tm and now my PC is so young and fresh it is dating a college girl.

My external gravel drive made my Mr Seedgate has 1.37 terrapins remaining. In the olden days these had space measured in units of Tortoise but proved too slow.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
In the olden days these had space measured in units of Tortoise but proved too slow.

Yes, you could probably use one that's a Hare faster.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: