VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are Things Getting Better or Worse?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Are Things Getting Better or Worse? Reply with quote

My insightful wife shared this article with me today: Are Things Getting Better or Worse? Why assessing the state of the world is harder than it sounds from the New Yorker. My guess is she has seen an uptick in daily stress and thought this article might be of help; it was.

The summation of the article: "progress is real, meaningful, and widespread. The mystery is why we have so much trouble acknowledging it."

Now, you may ask how is this article VO related? The answer is found underneath the illustration byline, where you can listen to a masterful narration of it by audiobook star Edoardo Ballerini. Truly a half hour well spent.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMI = Too much ignorance as opposed to Too Much Information. Not Dan's post or the brilliantly written, generally.

Things are REALLY bad for, in context, other VO people because I DO so well! I earn billions for only 2 sessions per day, am able to fly Concorde, in Hull I'm worshipped as a God and apart from never having written or published a book, am a best selling author. Forbes Magazine wrote "The most successful, popular, happiest man in the entire world, like so totally ever and I ain't lying or nothing neither!"

We breakfast on envy, have lust for lunch, sip from the cup of bitterness for tea, dine on dread and take a mug full of regret to our beds.

How good or bad are things really? No idea but I'll take today and see if I am able to do anything with it.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
We breakfast on envy, have lust for lunch, sip from the cup of bitterness for tea, dine on dread and take a mug full of regret to our beds.

How good or bad are things really? No idea but I'll take today and see if I am able to do anything with it.

Maybe one day you will actually sit down and pen a novel for the ages. Until then, this quote will do.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you live in an age where your value is tied to the intensity of your despair, reality doesn't compute.

I choose not to play the game of Who Can Bitch Loudest. It's boring and no one ever wins.
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
When you live in an age where your value is tied to the intensity of your despair...

This, unfortunately, very eloquently describes how I feel that most VO 'practitioners' approach their work these days.

Jack Daniel wrote:
I choose not to play the game of Who Can Bitch Loudest.

If only it were that easy. I mean, it should be. But it's not. (Not for me, anyway.)
Kim Fuller
DC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wonder what yardstick is being used when I hear that our society is disintegrating and things are heading downhill in general. Compared to what? Even with its warts, I'll take our current time over most others I can think of.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the yardstick of 'comparison' is used quite often to compare today with yesterday, yesteryear, and yestercentury.  What is acceptable behavior today  would have been frowned upon in the 1950's or 1960's.  The holder of the yardstick today can only compare today with what they have experienced in their past. I was born in 1948. My awareness probably kicked in when I was in preschool. When I compare today with what I have experienced, I see many great improvements, and many bad compromises.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When you live in an age where your value is tied to the intensity of your despair...

i was JUST thinking about this -- i mean 5 minutes before opening this thread.

i used to compare myself to others doing "better" than myself. i used to wear a suit. i used to go to meetings about scheduling meetings & sat on a committee who's job it was to form committees. THAT was despair!

now i get to get up in the morning, have a cup of coffee, make the commute to the basement and talk out loud for money, ride my motorcycle, dig in the dirt, pour single malt in a glass at 4:30 ... i'm livin' the dream.

Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DougVox wrote:
If only it were that easy. I mean, it should be. But it's not. (Not for me, anyway.)

But Doug, glib is what I got! --Not easy for me either.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="todd ellis"]
Quote:
... i'm livin' the dream.

I think this most every day, Todd, I surely do.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="todd ellis"]
Quote:
Quote:
i'm livin' the dream.

Yes. To both. Surviving - and relegating the first to the annals of unimportant moments gone by - enables the second to become true.

Humans are highly adaptable. We can get used to anything, as long as we move forward instead of constantly looking behind or around. Who was it who said the key to happiness is finding happiness in what you have rather than looking for it outside? I'd say Todd's 4:30 single malt fits the bill. And there's the Harley. It IS a Harley, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: