VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Senn Test Methodology - Please to give your Advices
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnV wrote:
... and NONE of what you are fiddling around with is in any way out-of-line.
a short shotgun (for that I work an antique AKG451/ck8) by its very nature is a bit aggressive- sounding. The other thing is trusting the folks on the other end of the line. The chest-thing is interesting... makes sense if indeed they say they hear and care about the difference.

I should add that part of my fiddling is due to my not wanting to deal with billing and reconciliation. I *would* tend to those invoices, except that the 416 really *needs* some fiddling. And given my druthers, I'll spend a dark hour practicing before I'll hit the books.

But yes, John, I'm good with my "problem." I can think of many worse vices that could be filling my down time.
Dayo
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
Dayo wrote:
Hey Jack - always like to swap notes re the 416; how do you like to position yours?

How 'bout you?

To be honest Jack, I have something of a love hate relationship with that mic. I've been using one on and off for almost 20 years now. Every now and again I'll break it out of the cupboard and do a few sessions with it, then I'll get tired of it and throw (not literally) the U87 back up. I guess some days I sound pretty good on it and other days not so. The ironic thing is that my two most referenced demo spots that have booked me a huge amount of work, were both recorded on a 416.

As for positioning, I mess around with it, never settled, but your current method works well. Other days I'm convinced it's better dead on and pointing straight down my throat. I find it easy to judge other people's work, but my own? next to impossible.

Thanks for sharing!

Colin
Quicksilver
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniel wrote:
Dayo wrote:
Hey Jack - always like to swap notes re the 416; how do you like to position yours?

If viewed via time-lapse photography, my 416 positioning would appear, if I'm being kind, erratic in the last few years. I've tried straight-on, coming from the side, coming from below, and pointing down toward my neck; and with a variety of pop filters to keep things lively. I've also gone bare nekkid, talking past the mic to avoid pops. Here's where things stand currently:

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one.

I recently got an LDC as a 2nd mic (Vanguard V13, since you asked) and really enjoy the wider pickup pattern. It doesn't seem to notice as long as I'm semi close to it. Love the tone of the 416 but wish I could get the tone and portability and still be able to move around. Nice to hear the 8040 and 860 are more in that direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: