VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows Emulation Software for MAC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Windows Emulation Software for MAC Reply with quote

With Hervé recently joining us here, the idea of emulation software that allows Macs to run Windows software came to mind. Word2WAV, much admired software for phone messaging and e-learning work, only works on PCs.

Anyone have any recommendations on emulation software? Here's a recent article ranking choices for "virtual machines":

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/best-virtual-machine-software-3671133/

I've often thought of just buying one of those inexpensive mini PCs, much like the Mac Mini, which would save a lot of the hassle, and the need to buy Windows operating software. By the way, if you're going virtual which Windows software would you buy? There appear to be quite a few!

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I went Mac in 2006, I've tried various options (Parallels, Virtual Machine, etc.)... all (without exception) were the proverbial pain in the butt... and all failed to give a 100% satisfactory experience. I ended up re-using an old Windows laptop for the ever-dwindling number of PC applications I needed. Note: this was only using Windows XP.

You can get a perfectly serviceable PC for next-to-nothing nowadays, and if I needed to use a Windows program, that's the route I'd take. Even a cheap all-in-one will be fine for recording... if you've already got a spare screen, you can get a certified refurbished Lenovo PC with Windows 10 for around $100 from Amazon. Considering Parallels is $80 and Windows can be around $100... I don't see any benefit in doing it in software.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Bish on this: I've tried Parallels and it was not up to expectations. Just not worth it when, as Peter says, you can grab an inexpensive Windows laptop. Personally, I try to avoid Windows machines as much as possible. I used to think Macs were overpriced marketing BS, then switched a few years ago--and that's all she wrote.
txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran 17” Macbook Pros for about 5 years and used Parallels the entire time. I finally had to give up as Apple decided to quit producing the 17 and they quit making notebooks for power users. I am a Land Surveyor and used a lot of CAD, GIS, and drone image processing software that only ran in Windows. I found Parallels very reliable, but I am also somewhat of a computer geek. I preferred it over boot camp and found it much more convenient. My wife still runs it on her Macbook. I still have my 17, but rarely use it anymore.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i run a hackintosh & CAN dual-boot into windows on a separate hard drive but i've had so much trouble with windows & so few reasons to do it - i haven't booted into that drive in a couple of years. also, apple won't let me update OS past 10.9.5, so in order to run fcpx & other video stuff i bought a 15" macbook pro - which is pretty amazing.

txrpls, i run some pretty heavy after effects the macbook pro & it does a great job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: