VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has 90 days become the new payment standard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Has 90 days become the new payment standard? Reply with quote

It's one thing if a client asks in the beginning of a relationship whether a 90-day payment cycle is acceptable. But many of them don't seem to even bother asking.

98% of my clients (corporate) pay within 30 days; sometimes even sooner. One or two go to 45 days. But 90 days? Is this now the norm, Cliff?

BruceG
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently saw this on YouTube, addressing this very topic:

https://youtu.be/-OzvAMWgmQE
[/url]
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From recollection, not data, I'd say my average pay day is 40 days out.

And yes, I rarely bug people for money until bills age to 90 days or so, because almost all of them have paid by 90.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
MBVOXX
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

money moves down the chain of services as it arrives in the employers hands.
Sometimes it's quick and sometimes it's not, just depends on how soon the people at the top of the chain are getting paid.
I work on a 12 day payable system with my clients and except for a job here and there most clients adhere to it.
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, here's a wild theory I have:

I suspect some companies use the 90-day cycle so they can choose which quarter takes that cost. Numbers tallied with cost and return can possibly look costly if one doesn't follow the othe. Investment returns probably won't be immediately noticeable with, say, a voiced project.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the majority of companies use the accrual method of accounting where sales invoices and expense invoices are logged in right away whether money has changed hands or not. Slow payment from them can just be slow cash flow, conniving management, or grumpy/lazy/incompetent bookkeepers.

You can ask/demand any payment terms you want (I state “due on receipt”) and they usually pay you whenever they want as is my experience.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/accrualaccounting.asp

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's easy to overthink this. Quite simply, any organization will strive to hold onto money as long as possible. It keeps their balances healthy, it gives them access to more funds for "investment". They may be small amounts, but they add up. It a large company has decided to push out the usual 30 day cycle to 60... then that may give them an extra million (or whatever) at their disposal for 30 days... put it on the overnight money market (as my old company used to do)... or whatever. The principle is simple... the longer I keep you waiting, the better it is for me financially. As companies are becoming more subject to success based on pure numbers and accounting targets, the pain felt by suppliers and the lack of goodwill becomes an irrelevance.

As I've said before... they want all the pies.

I was just told of something really quite disturbing. A company uses a billing service. The billing service informs the supplier of a 60 day cycle... but you can have it in 40 days if you accept less. This is reprehensible in my opinion.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the UK local radio commercial production relies on low fees, volume and prompt payment. Rate for a voice on one commercial to be broadcast on "average town FM" for up to one year (Union agreed - SHAME ON THEM) is £24.50p about $35.

For a voice, low fees, volume and prompt payment combine to form the perfect triangle (equilateral). UK local radio LIKES low fees yet embraces neither of the two other elements. The system has been failing since around 2004, probably a little longer.

A well managed ego will help one as a performer but it is of no help at all in running a business. People who do local radio ads love to sit in their cars with friends and turn up the volume on the radio when THEIR ad come on.

"Go on Dood, really impress them, show 'em the pay cheque!"

"Awww Banksey (my name is Philip by the way) that would be just crass!"

"Whereas drowning out conversation with a sh*t radio ad isn't?"

A well managed business will balance out your ego because numbers are simply numbers. The following number are less than a year old. All in sterling.

From phone call to end of paperwork a local radio ad will take me on average 15 minutes. My VO time sells for a minimum session fee of £250 per hour. A local radio pays £24.50. 15 minutes of my time costs my business £62.50. This is NOT about me, it's about business. If I says yes to a local radio ad I lose £38.

Bit more for you?

A great deal of my work is done outside of the UK and as such is subject to currency movements. Most up to date average. Every non UK job earns me around £50 simply because of the FOREX market movements, that's on top of the fee. Last week that was £490.

Controlled ego will manage your performance.
Knowing da numbers will manage your business.
Refusal to comply with both of the above? Explain to the Bunny in your head that what he makes you say and do has consequences.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2018 has been the year of "follow the money" for me. i have always been pretty loose in my "invoice watching" because i work with good people who pay me ... eventually. since my pipe is usually pretty full, something drops out of my end fairly regularly. i have 30, 60 & 90 day payers, i have some faster than that & i have a couple that i have to bug now & again. after a major corporate screw-up where, under new ownership, "X-Corp" changed the email address for invoicing without telling me - or anybody else, apparently and we became backlogged to the tune of $30k-ish. it was months getting it sorted out and i never want to go through that again.

clients pay on different schedules. i now have all of mine on auto-reminders based on their schedule to remind ME just as much as to remind them.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every month, I get bills -- from the gas company, the electric company, my insurance company, the credit card company, etc. Each one has a due date printed on it. And unless I lose track and forget (it happens occasionally), I send the payment four or five days before it is due. Somehow, the people who owe me money do not all operate in a similar fashion. Every day, I go to the mailbox, and if there is money in it, I am pleasantly surprised. I have given up expecting to be paid promptly. I am now satisfied just to get paid. As long as I have enough money in my account to cover the outgoing payments, I don't get worked up about how long it took to come in,
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Every month, I get bills -- from the gas company, the electric company, my insurance company, the credit card company, etc. Each one has a due date printed on it.

And they have the upper hand, because if you don't pay, they cut you off. On the other hand - if you don't get paid - you don't have a lot of clout. And we aren't even talking about plumbers or electricians who get paid on the spot.

We really don't have non-payment issues as a whole do we? If we vet our clients, we almost always get paid - eventually.

I was in Italy a few years ago working at a studio in Reggio Emilia and was having a conversation with the studio owner - who asked me if I knew an American VO talent named XXX. As it turned out I did. He told me that he had had a few insolvent years, but was back on track and wanted to pay him for work done years before. I went onto Facebook, connected with that talent and said talent was finally paid.

The point of that story is that sometimes things happen even to our best customers and if we know who we are working for, and that they are upstanding decent humans, they will do their best to make good.
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old story (not the reason for this thread):

After having already been late on every previous occasion, and lying about it each time, an independent video producer was sent an invoice for a job in mid-May 2016, payable in mid-June. No payment came by the due date. A polite reminder was sent mid-July. The response: "I sent that. Check #3446. Let me check my bank statement to confirm it hasn't been cashed."

(What, do you think I'm lying to you?)

Until that time, the last check I had received from him was #4182 (a LATER number), for a job PREVIOUS to the May job.

Payment finally came in early August... but it was $25 short. He said he'd sent the balance right away. It came three weeks later.

The next time he emailed to book me for a job, I fired him. Don't pee on my shoes and tell me it's raining.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnieTerwilliger wrote:
you don't have a lot of clout. And we aren't even talking about plumbers or electricians who get paid on the spot.

The point of that story is that sometimes things happen even to our best customers and if we know who we are working for, and that they are upstanding decent humans, they will do their best to make good.

Believe it or not, the last time I needed a plumber, I was ready to cut him a check on the spot, but he said he would send a bill, which he did, and which I paid by the due date.

A few years back, one of my clients declared bankruptcy while owing me about 800 bucks. Some time later, my contact came to me and asked if I would be willing to do some more work for them, explaining that they had a court appointed trustee who would assure that all new work would be paid for, but who was not authorized to make any pre-bankruptcy payments. He also said it was his hope that once they emerged from bankruptcy, they would make good on their outstanding debts. I agreed to do the work and was paid for the new work in a reasonable amount of time.

Fast forward to last year, when I got an email from the client's bookkeeping department, saying they had reason to believe they might owe me money, and if I thought there were any unpaid invoices from 2012 or early 2013, to let them know. I dug up the old invoice, sent them a copy, and got a check for payment in full. So, yeah, those things do happen.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: