VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WE are SO not famous!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: WE are SO not famous! Reply with quote

We, the voiceoverists of this world, are NOT famous! https://vimeo.com/274254624
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I revel in my anonymity. If I were to be recognized on the street, I'd be extremely concerned for the recognizer's mental health.

If I ever get my Warholian fifteen minutes, I'll spend it hiding in my basement studio, cowering behind a pile of Auralex.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a small run at celebrity status many years ago and I didn't care for it most of the time. I cohosted a couple of 3-hour live talk and demonstration shows on desert gardening for the PBS station in Phoenix many years ago. They then cut them into half hour segments and ran them on weekends for a few years more. I got recognized a lot in groceries, department stores, and way too many times waylaid and even grabbed by people with desert gardening questions. "My mesquite tree is dying in the middle of my (heavily watered) lawn. What do I do?!" I so wanted to say, "you have to kill one of them, the lawn or the tree. It's a desert tree and doesn't like regular watering!" But instead I repeated, "I'm not an expert, I just interview experts. Please ask one of them." They would trudge away sadly.

Then my theater company put on a hugely successful political musical comedy called "GUV: The Musical". We were in the midst of political turmoil in Arizona like no one had seen before. Of course the situation paled compared to our current national poopstorm, but it was huge news then and there. All the major news stations were there opening night and they came back to interview us many times over the 2 year run when related scandals broke. Needless to say due to theater and TV exposure I got recognized a lot, some times with crazy, loud reactions. It unnerved Emma during our first year or so together when people would just stare at me from across a store, whisper to each other and point. Thankfully that all died away with time.

I'll tell you, IMHO, the best way to give recognition to a "famous" person if you feel you must do or say something, is to give a quick nod or hand wave and just say, "I really like(d) you work." and then please walk away. That's lovely and usually enjoyed. Everything beyond that starts to work its way up the creepy scale.

Happy to be anonymous,

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Mike Harrison
M&M

Location: Equidistant from New York City and Philadelphia, along the NJ Shore

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the early-to-mid 80s, my voice was recognized by a person working at the local grocery store deli counter. Somehow, ordering what probably was a ham & Swiss on rye apparently sounded enough like the radio spots I was doing promoting the bands at New York City-area nightclubs.

My renown got me an extra pickle.

Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only famous to my mom's retired friends.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People don't recognize me from my voice because, when I am out in public, I don't speak in my announcer voice. cool
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about 6 months after i got out of radio i paid with a check at my hometown IGA. the girl looked up at me and said, "didn't you used to be todd ellis?"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: