VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Critique of My Commercial Mix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Critique of My Commercial Mix Reply with quote

Good day, all.

I'd appreciate some feedback on this demo I put together for an insurance commercial. My performance is rubbish, but as I work on that I'd like to know if the vocal tone and mixing is effective.

I've been struggling with my equipment and recording environment to try and get a good clean track. In this take, I use both compression and an expander in my DAW to control some unwanted environmental noise. I think the vocal still sounds a bit 'muddy'.

Is the overall mix effective? Levels of each track seem about right?
Note that the music track is 'for demo use only', so please forgive the copyright tone. I haven't purchased the music track; just wanted it for completeness.

Your input is appreciated!

https://soundcloud.com/guil-schotte/economical-mixdown
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually your read was pretty good for a newcomer. On the technical side the vocal was a bit muddy sounding compared to the music. Maybe it's your mic positioning or the quality of the mic, and it might be solved by brightening the EQ.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Guil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, Bruce. This confirms my concerns with my vocals. I'm going to try moving some of my sound baffling around - I suspect that the blanket over the wall behind me isn't enough to prevent bounce. I compensate with expander, which is likely causing me to lose some highs.

I will also try repositioning my microphone, including orientation in relation to my mouth. Maybe trying across the mic might make it more clear?

Thanks again...

Bruce wrote:
Actually your read was pretty good for a newcomer. On the technical side the vocal was a bit muddy sounding compared to the music. Maybe it's your mic positioning or the quality of the mic, and it might be solved by brightening the EQ.

B

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked ok for me, not perfect but ok. Getting the studio sound right is a bit like getting the performance right, an evolution not a revolution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: