VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

another audiobook demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: another audiobook demo Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Rognog's audiobook demo gave me the idea that I should put this one up here for critique before making it a demo. This was actually a V123 audition I did a couple weeks ago, but I've gotten so much positive feedback on it that I thought I'd make it an audiobook demo. What do you all think? ...yea, or nay. I know it's been a long time since I've submitted anything for critique. lol All comments good or bad are welcome and encouraged. Thanks everyone.

here

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

Gen. Alfred. M. Gray, USMC
Former Commandant of the Marine Corps
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First and foremost: your voice is very pleasant and will be a pleasure to listen to.

You need to undo what seems to be a bad habit of inflection for inflection's sake. You're telling a story. You need to make the words make sense. Right now it sounds like someone with a very nice voice reading English and Spanish aloud.
What I say to my students is "It sounds like words on paper."

When you approach dialog spoken by a woman, you need to make a distinct change in your vocal architecture. Know who's great at this? George Guidall. Listen to audio books he reads and listen to the way he vocally renders women.

You'll be great.
Take an acting class when you can to learn how to flesh out the people whose lines you're speaking.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You DB. When I originally was recording this....the woman's voice was quite an issue....I tried changing my vocal architecture (I think) but ended up sounding really really silly,...so silly it detracted from the story....nothing like a woman at all. Kind of like a cartoon drag queen...LMAO So I finally settled on sounding like a male narrator trying to differentiate the woman's voice from the men's. And.....she's supposed to be drunk and hung over with a headache! hahahaha...not very successfully I see. I will work on that.

"Communication without intelligence is noise; Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."

COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on Deebs.... it seemed....uninspired....

Nice timing, clear spoken words, great voice, but no feeling (Geez, and we hate that word in News: "How did you FEEL about the dead baby?"). The pathos was missing.

From everything I know -- reading an audiobook is all about getting into the author's head, and finding HIS sense of each character and situation.... not yours.

my (not nearly arrived enough to feel good about critiquing) 2-cents

Courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
Kind of like a cartoon drag queen...

Okay....you've gotta post that Tom.

Other than that....EQ needs to be tweeked some from what I can tell....try goosing it at 3.5k and about 12k.. Should make you sound more clear. Good pleasant voice tone as DB said. I can tell you are holding back on the acting side. Seems like you have it in you though.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, you are so very, very close. You have all the tools, and you will get there and when you do you will be terrific. Uhhh....then, do we get to call you "Tom Terrific"?

I cold never begin to give a critique as useful and on the mark as Deirdre, so I won't even try. I will second her George Guidall recommendation - the man is the master of audio-books. If you can pick up some of his titles, take 'em with you in the car and listen when you can. You may not even have to buy 'em, the library will probably lend them to ya.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most libraries do have a collection of audiobooks. Even the little library here in South Berwick which inhabits the downstairs part of Sarah Orne Jewett's house has audiobooks.

When I buy an audiobook, I listen and then give it to the library.
Except Frederick Davidson reading the Jeeves stories. Those I hoard.
Tom Greenlee
DC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. Ben....I did not keep the cartoon drag queen soundalike takes. hahahahaha.....take my word for it...they sounded hideous! hahahahaha Also, how much would you say goosing it at 3.5 and 12K? Because I listen to myself all the time I can't really tell that it needs EQ tweeking, so I can't tell how much to boost it. Don...thanks for the vote of confidence...much appreciated.

BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGG wrote:
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I appreciate it. Ben....I did not keep the cartoon drag queen soundalike takes. hahahahaha.....take my word for it...they sounded hideous! hahahahaha Also, how much would you say goosing it at 3.5 and 12K? Because I listen to myself all the time I can't really tell that it needs EQ tweeking, so I can't tell how much to boost it.

Not too much...just a few db. It's an audiobook demo and not a promo demo so you wanna keep some of the warm tone you have already. It just sounded like it lacked a little presence. Listen to your stuff right after you listen to someone else who is 'big' in the audiobook biz....the best way to get better at anything in my opinion. Do you match their acting, energy, recording quality, diction?? If you think not....make some adjustments and you'll be right there soon.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: