VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Congratulations to the few!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Congratulations to the few! Reply with quote

I noticed this morning that the VO-BB is forging towards nearly 1/4 million pieces published here! That is astounding! Seriously, congratulations!

This site was set up, on the hurry up, by Deebs (DB Cooper) as a rescue bid due to the failure of another site. No one could have predicted it would've come this far.

When I first joined I was my usual "full of nonsense" self and as a result was made to feel about as welcome as a fart in a Space Suit. Being a not so precious individual I politely wrote to Deebs and apologised for any misunderstanding and invited her to remove me. She didn't. So I blundered on. The view changed. I wrote stuff and people shrugged and continue to shrug "That's just Philip, ignore him!"

Nearly 1/4 million articles! The bulk provided by no more than around 20 people. Ignoring the entertainment value, the guidance to pros and to people just dipping their toes in the water is staggering.

Thank you to Deebs and Bruce for doing what they do and to everyone else who regularly makes a difference to my world.

Nearly 1/4 million articles? Really? FABLUSS!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asum indeed!

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Philip said. Until I found VO-BB I was just faffing around in the shallow end of VO. I didn't know what I didn't know. VO-BB gave me a place where I could be part of a community... where I could learn and grow. I've made some good friends here... not virtual friends, but real ones who will kick my arse when it's needed... or take one from me.

It does not matter one jot that we are just a few... that we are not, "that other place"... we are united in what we do and are not here to feed our collective egos.

Scene:
October, 1940... The sun sets on a makeshift airfield. Tired aviators climb from battered aircraft. There are fewer now than before. The mood is one of dogged defiance and overwhelming fatigue. Everything moves in slow-motion except for the men rushing to coax one more day's use out of the embattled machines. Elgar swells to a crescendo, and then dips behind the narration...

But we in it shall be remembered -
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day.

Of course... it was Philip's voice you heard in your head Smile
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hee hee hee. I do recall a certain crispness with Philip once upon a time.

I am supremely grateful for all the myriad generosities and comfort from the people in this family.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a folder with all of the Cyberstation FAQ's I had collected with Sammy on the original board before Sammy showed up missing and Deebs stepped up.

Any interest in seeing this stuff from oh so many years ago? It is a bit messy due to the indented threading, and I haven't actually spent much time reading over it, but I have it in case anyone is interested.
Jen Gosnell
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Congratulations to the few! Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
I... was made to feel about as welcome as a fart in a Space Suit.

I just got a cramp in my meat suit from laughing so hard. Thanks a lot, Philip!!

Wink
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God bless you- every one.

I know I've been AWOL a while, but let me join the chorus of "I don't want to think about what my life would look like if I'd never found the VO-BB." I know I could have never made a go of this crazy profession without it. Deebs invited me to join up at a Pat Fraley workshop 12 years ago- and I found my tribe. I echo what Bish said- I've found *real* friends here- shared not only VO related encouragement and knowledge, but have made real friends, attended weddings and funerals and lived life together in big and small ways- Hell, my kids refer to Liz as "Auntie Liz", and I can't count the number of ledges Auntie Liz and others have talked me out off a ledge- or how often I've reached out when someone else was on that ledge.

Thank you Deebs for reviving this amazing phoenix, and thank you Bruce for taking over, and thank you all, my friends who really are the voices in my head.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been here a short while....but i friggin love this place!

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
txrpls
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

am not a voiceover person, but I love monitoring and listening to you guys. I listen to a lot of audio books while driving and I can now appreciate all the work you guys do as an artist.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place kept me sane during my caregiving years, which were also the years I was building my business..

And I DO mean it, I think I would have lost my mind had I not been steered to this place by the wonderful Bob Souer.

...which led to the FIRST ever VO conference Voice2007 which is where I met many of US in 3D. How amazing that was!
And we were all in 1 room! And Connie (who was HUGE to me being at the helm of the then MCA-I...and I was in the same room as HER!! Smile ) which is where, when Connie asked "How many are doing VO full-time" Moe looked at me and said "Get your arm up!"...it was the beginning of one of my most treasured friendships. I LOVE being Autie Liz to Moe's kids.

And of Course...without the VO-BB there would be no FaffCon...and WOW...what a difference that has made to my life.

My friends here are my true friends....which puts to rest that old adage that you can't make real friends in adulthood. BULL$7*T

And Philip...yeah...he's OK Wink Inoccent
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Philip...yeah...he's OK

NOW you've done it.

Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I TRIED not to swell his head TOO much!!! Kiss

Too late? Wink
Yonie
CM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I write once in a blue moon. I dig and delve and read far more often. Few places contain such distilled info and effective discussion in a narrow field. And the discussions are being held by vagabonds, smiley-people, and good'uns.
Jack Daniel
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

txrpls wrote:
am not a voiceover person, but I love monitoring and listening to you guys. I listen to a lot of audio books while driving and I can now appreciate all the work you guys do as an artist.

This is one of the coolest comments I've seen on the board.
melissa eX
MMD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any interest in seeing this stuff from oh so many years ago?

I would love to see this Connie. I lurked on the old board for years - then it disappeared and I found this place, where I lurked for a few more years until I came out of hiding in 2007.

I wouldn't be where I am now, personally and professionally if not for this place. I echo what Liz said. I've found real friends here - I found family. I can't imagine how different my life would be without you all. Yeah you have to feed Liz regularly and Peter can't stop mansplaining tech (even to a former broadcast television editor - hello!) and Philip.... well. I'll keep my mouth shut or he'll make Bess run me 4 kms. around Portgordon rather than 2.

We all have certain points in our lives where we can say THAT moment or THAT place or THAT person. The VO-BB has been a critical THAT for me - and everything beyond stems from THAT moment when I found you all - when I found my family.

Thank you Deebs for creating this place and opening the doors. And thank you Bruce for continuing to helm the ship. (even if you called me "casual" huh!) I haven't checked in a lot lately - I'll fix that - now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: