VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio Book Demo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Audio Book Demo Reply with quote

I'm putting together an audio book demo. I spent the morning working on this:

www.tomdheere.com/AmericanGods.mp3

This is my first crack at it so your input will be a big help. Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have listened to a fair number of audio books over the years. There are some very, very good audio book reader/presenters out there - and an even greater number that are pretty good and even more that are just okay and of course, many who really are not able to hold my interest at all.

For a first effort, I say "Well done" - - you have a pretty good handle on it, so pursue it, I think you will do well.
COURVO
Even Taller Than He Seems On TV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really listening for technical things, 'cause the intent and interpretation of the read seemed engaging enough...although I thought you could use pauses to greater effect here 'n' there.

I heard plenty of breath sounds, and the wave-form showed a background sound baseline that could probably be removed with a noise-reduction feature in your software treatment of the signal. (GoldWave has that, so does Adobe audition..to name two)

Also, the wave form needed about a 3db Boost to make it have more presence for my taste. You should probably edit down the very high high waves, too.

It seems when you visually review the maximum collapsed wave form of a very accomplished voice artist, you see a very consistent wave pattern...highs and lows either are spoken or edited into submission as a very full-form pattern.

my 2-cents

Courvo
Courvo's "Voice Acting in Vegas" Blog: http://www.CourVO.biz
on your phone at courvo.mobi
"I'm not a news anchor, but I play one on TV."
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just adding on to what Courvo said. I like the read, but it could use some technical massaging.

You should probably work on getting rid of the background noise. While you can use your editor to adjust some of it, I'd suggest finding the problem and solving it. There's a high pitched whine that's really annoying, especially after compressing it.

COURVO wrote:
Also, the wave form needed about a 3db Boost to make it have more presence for my taste.

Yep. This is where normalise can be your friend, but you've got to get rid of the background noise first.

Quote:
highs and lows either are spoken or edited into submission as a very full-form pattern.

There's no doubt some of that comes from the perfomer, but this is where a little compression can be your friend. I've never produced an audiobook, but my guess would be you want to keep some of the dynamic range in the performance so a little light compression is called for to smooth out the file a little and give your voice more presence. But, here it comes again, you've got to get rid of the background noise first.

For giggles over my morning coffee, I've played with it some. This is probably more processed than it should be but I had to fiddle with it a good bit to get most of the noise out. See what you think.

Rognog's American Gods

B
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your in-depth responses! I'm still very new new to the home-recording setup so...

It was a rough cut so I can remove the breaths no problem.
How can I figure out what the background sound baseline is? Did it sound like an acoustic problem or a PC problem?
Audacity has a noise removal feature but when I use it my voice sounds "metallic".
Can you see the wave-form using Audacity? If so, what do I look for?
Can Audacity do a decibel boost?
How do you edit down high waves?
Should I take a class so I can get a clue?

Thanks for tweaking it, Brian. There is a big difference!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
How can I figure out what the background sound baseline is? Did it sound like an acoustic problem or a PC problem?

That "whine" is probably something with your computer's soundcard. That's my first guess anyway.

Acoustic... everybody gets focused on gear but if your room sucks the best electronics in the world won't fix it. Yours is okay. Could be better, could be a lot worse.

Quote:
Audacity has a noise removal feature but when I use it my voice sounds "metallic".
Can you see the wave-form using Audacity? If so, what do I look for?
Can Audacity do a decibel boost?

No idea, I've never used Audacity. Check their help, tutorials and forum.

Quote:

Compression

Quote:
Should I take a class so I can get a clue?

Start with the freebies online, there are plenty.

Audacity Tutorials (Google "Audacity tutorials" and you get a lot more)

Audacity Forum

Tweakheadz Guide

DBX PDF "Compression 101"
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure my sound card is the problem. I have a Presonus Inspire 1394 with an insulated firewire.

I'm not sure whether to keep the door closed in my recording space aka closet. I don't want a "dead" sound. I left it halfway open when I did the audio book sample. Which is best?

When you export a sound file as an MP3, it automatically compresses it, right? If that's the case, I don't have to do anything except make sure the settings are good.

I'm putting togather a "checklist" for my settings before I record and a guideline for editing to remove noise, etc. Does anyone already have something like that?

Thanks for the links, Brian. They were a big help!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

I am approaching this as a theatrical director, OK?
And I may address things that other folks have already mentioned.

#1. Be aware of your "S". It's a bit "lazy" and needs some sharpening. Use the James Alburger cork or my Pencil-Trick: you place a pencil in your mouth like a horse's bit, but not too far back. Just behind the canines is good. Then read aloud. About a minute. Yeah, it sounds crazy-- you don't record that stuff. It works your tongue out by giving it an obstacle. Remove the obstacle and your speech will be much crisper.

#2. I like your narrative voice very much. I like your pacing and timbre. Be on the lookout for relationships in the text-- the thing about "relief" has a small payoff when it's mentioned later-- Don't throw it away.

#3. I lost your great narrative voice when you got into the conversation part. The interstitial sentence fragments still need to be infused with life. They flattened out between the "he said"s. The Cellmate's accent was a strong choice-- just make sure you're consistent as hell.

Verdict:
I'd like the hear more. I think you'll make a very fine audiobook guy.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rognog wrote:
When you export a sound file as an MP3, it automatically compresses it, right? If that's the case, I don't have to do anything except make sure the settings are good.

Completely different kind of compression.
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Background noise - or room noise is something that you should be able to filter out if your editing program has the capability. If you have a noise filter, it should be able to remove light ambient room noise without damaging the signal you are trying to keep. If not, it may be that you simply need to read the help files or experiment with it and find out what works. It is also possible that the noise filter you have just isn't all that good - I have one of those. Of the three editing programs I have, the most expensive of them is the least effective, so price doesn't seem to be a good measure of what works.

Quote:

I have never seen an editing program that did not show the waveform and provide a method by which you can zoom in for more detail, mark a begin and end point and edit the file. I am quite sure yours does all that and more. Once you figure out how to get the waveform displayed, you will see that the audio is transformed into a visual - and it resembles a wave. If most of your wave is steady at around 60% of the available vertical axis, it is also quite likely that there will be an occasional spike or two that will stick up like a sore thumb and hit as much as 100%. Using your editing program to knock down those peaks will keep your sound more consistent - but use a light touch.

As a rule, most audio book producers use little if any compression because audio-book listeners often listen for longer periods of time and listen through headphones, or earbuds - and compression can become fatiguing or even annoying to the listener. Most - probably all - audio book producers will not want you to do anything to the raw track - no noise filter and certainly, no compression of any kind at all, ever - they will use their tools and process the audio the way they want it.

For your own purposes in producing a demo, using a noise filter and a very light touch on the compression is fine. Edit breaths sparingly, otherwise it will sound unnatural, reducing the breath sounds may or may not be appropriate, that's a judgement call.

Be aware that we are discussing audio compression in the above and not file compression. They are two very different things.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tweakheadz Guide

DBX P D F "Compression 101"

Brian--Thx for these.

(I had to separate the P the D and the F in the second part of the quote so as to circumvent the evil pirate! Ha!)
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I've been doing a whole lotta research on finding the noise in my system.

I've eliminated many suspects: microphone, microphone cable, speakers, firewire ports, AC cords, monitor, adaptors, light dimmers, firewire cord, and the Windows Volume Control.

Then I went to the Presonus Inspire 1394 Control Panel and this is what I saw:

When I turn off the "Boost" button on Channel 1 the noise fades to almost nothing. When I turn the "Gain" to 12:00 once again the noise fades to nothing. So I laid something down with the gain cranked up but the "Boost" button turned off:

www.tomdheere.com/FluSample.mp3

The db level didn't go any higher than -24. It should be around -12, right?

So is this just a gain/boost level issue or is it something else?
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be possible to add some gain by using an adjustment in the Windows mixer or perhaps you have an input level control somewere in your editing software that could be adjusted.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here is my next stab at it. I made both technical & artistic adjustments based on your input.

This is the first take I posted:

www.tomdheere.com/AmericanGods.mp3

This is what I did today:

www.tomdheere.com/AmericanGods2A.wav

Can you hear a difference?
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not listen for a long time, a minute or so.

1) There are some very impressive audio book readers out there. You are not going to knock any of the top line performers off their perch - not today, anyway. That is not a knock on you, your talent, your skill or ability. That is simply a recognition that you are not at that level - yet. I like what I hear when I listen to your reads.

I also believe you have the innate talent to take you there and I hope you pursue it, because I believe you will succeed. If you make the effort, you will become one who is in demand.

2) Technically, I noticed considerable noise - possible a combination of soundcard and ambient room noise - in the first and much less in the second. Whatever adjustment you made seemed to help quite a bit. I also noticed that the level was rather low and I had to boost it substantially in order to record it so that I could do an A/B comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: