VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bye Bye Facebook. Now what?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Bye Bye Facebook. Now what? Reply with quote

Now that Facebook has shown massive disrespect for its users, it's time to leave and choose another platform for daily chit chat with friends, if you're into that sort of thing. Bob Souer kindly mentioned the VO-BB when I asked in one of my last posts over there. It's great for VO related biz, but I'm thinking it's a weird place to swap pictures of snow drifts and pets, and cat videos.

What, if anything are you using or will you use in lieu of the stinky, cheating, corrupt mess they call Facebook? (Me pissed? Naw.)

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Matto
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the fact that I was OFF Facebook for about 12 or 18 months, I returned as some folks were badgering me to share pictures of our daughter ---and then THIS happens! I'll be joining your exodus.

Honestly I was quite liking being off pretty much everything (hardly used Twitter either). I like to check in here and just pick up the phone and call someone. Other than that I'd rather just go for a walk or ride a bike.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as many know - i've been off the zuckerberg wagon since '11 - but i still do instagram.

bruce - would the additional load of an "OT" section here be a financial burden?

samowry
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the OT.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:

bruce - would the additional load of an "OT" section here be a financial burden?

Extra 5 shillings for your trouble 'pon request.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA-zactly. i would be in for a pay to play model.

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some say that the old PHP-type forum is outdated and doesn't offer a threaded conversation the way FB does. Personally, I rather like the restricted and more formal structure... it actually makes you think before posting rather than just blurting out an emoticon or a fatuous comment (no one need point out the irony to me... I'm British... we get irony).

Another forum I'm on (non-VO related) has a couple of places... "OT" & "OT - NSFW" ... I'm not saying we need the NSFW... but a place where I can throw a non-VO pie at Philip may be handy.

... and if a few bucks are needed... then a few bucks will be found.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is surprised about the news of Facebook they are cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs! Nothing is private on social media. Never has been, never will be. Whatever you put out there is hackable, readable, retrievable by anyone who wants to do so.

Also, no private groups are private. Besides the smart computer person simply being able to see anything, anyone can copy/paste and (or) take a screen shot of any conversation. Last year a buddy of mine lost a HUGE national TV commercial campaign by a simple "very grateful for my ongoing car gig" post. Buyers do NOT like their product talked about. The advertiser also ripped my friend's agent a new one, and cut off ties with the agent and their clients.

Two different scenarios, but both realities. From employees able to get into your info, to hackers, to anyone just sharing your posts, this pandora's box is wide open and not going anywhere. And Facebook is here to stay! Social media denial and Facebook's huge daily popularity will keep it around.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FACEBOOK turned ME into a Newt!

I got better.
SteveToner
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... facebook weighs the same as...a duck?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and I'm not leaving Facebook anytime soon. It's by far one of the best career tools. I don't use social media socially. My private life I keep private. But I use it daily for career.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
Facebook is here to stay! Social media denial and Facebook's huge daily popularity will keep it around.

Agreed. And people will continue to complain about privacy issues, often while blurting out details of their personal lives that really are not everybody's business. And otherwise intelligent people will continue to "Like and Share This Post to Win Free Airline Tickets" or reinforce their own intellectual superiority by clicking on "Only the Top 1% Geniuses Can Solve This Mathematical Stumper: 2 + 2 = ?," or open the vault to their personal information (freely provided to Facebook in their profiles) by playing "Which Nocturnal Burrowing Animal Are You" type quizzes.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Facebook is here to stay!

that's what myspace said ... and AOL ... and nokia ... and blackberry ... and ...

Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facebook as a career tool? Personally I find it has done nothing for me specifically when it comes to getting work. My marketing consists entirely of trying to remain top-of-mind whenever anyone wants a US-based Brit. I'll admit that there may be a small social media effect when it comes to this, but I find that actually meeting and interacting with people does far more. I will state categorically that since joining Facebook, I've got more work directly from my relationships on VO-BB.

However, if my business was selling stuff to other VOs, then Facebook is the place to be... it's now overrun with business and marketing experts who will help you run a better VO business if you join their group and pay for their stuff. This is not my business... I'm a VO and I sell my voice. In some ways, I do find it a little frustrating because I'm actually a (certified) trainer with decades of experience in senior management at a multi-national company... and it's so obvious that most (not all) of these hyped-up VO gurus selling their shite on Facebook know nothing more than what they read in the latest marketing book-de-jour. It's predatory and makes me want to puke.

Sorry... hot-button item for me.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age of the social media platform has hit its peak.

Blogging matters again, and forums matter again.

Interesting that Google launched yesterday a Subscribe with Google program with several international newspapers for $12.99 a month including WaPo, NYT, and USA Today. They're also putting up $300 MM to partner with newspapers.

Too many of us get their news from Facebook and Twitter. Yours truly guilty as charged.

For me, I'm not going to delete FB yet, but I am definitely getting rid of Messenger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: