VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm too busy to get work... ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: I'm too busy to get work... ? Reply with quote

Dear Soundingboard,

Where did I go wrong... (always a great question for Life) ?

I was asked to audition for a technical book.
I had recorded the audition sides on thursday, but hadn't finished the edit, and told client I had a fairly busy blocked set of 3 days (no details) and would have it for him Sunday afternoon. He said Peachey-Neato-Keen...

This past Fri-sat-sun was a thankfully VERY rare marathon on the books already.
Fri eve: till midnight... sleep 3hrs
Sat: up at 5:30 for an 8am- 6pm, ... sleep 3 hrs
back at it 10pm - 4am (5am DAYLIGHT TIME) ... sleep 2hrs.
SUN: 8am till 2pm... then 3-4pm cut the audition and get it to the guy
then again 5 - 11pm.... then finally happily crash.

(The above listed mainly because I'm surprised I can still pull this sort of thing off... at least short-term)

What is odd is that, after keeping in contact throughout with the client when he emailed questions, so as to not have him feel ignored, i find this morning I get word that
"Thank you for doing the audition. Unfortunately, I selected another offer to produce the book. Your audition was great and I'm sure you would have done a fantastic job, but I'm worried you are too busy. Thank you and good luck,"
Normally I would write this off as an impatient client and move on, but something here feels like I maybe could have presented things better somehow here?
Signed: Concerned Near Washington DC
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've said nearly the exact same thing - sometimes they wait - sometimes they don't. we can only do what we can do, right? sounds to me like you tried to manage expectations best you could.

take this opportunity for a nap.

Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where/if you went wrong. Sounds more like this buyer wanted a talent who could just cater to them and not have any other time conflicts. OR, this was their nice way of saying they just weren't interested??? No way of knowing.

I don't take my own bookings. Every once in a while a buyer will contact me directly and ask my schedule on a certain day. I always refer them to my agent as it's impossible for me to take my own bookings. I've never lost a job for being too busy. Plus, most buyers like a busy actor as they feel like they struck gold on someone in demand.

I say cut yourself a break. Onward!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never lost a job for being too busy.

That you KNOW of. Sarcastic

Bob— it's different with Audio books. Those producers require a pound of flesh, and if it seems like you have a lot of irons on the fire, they may not trust that you'll have time to devote to their deadlines.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Hey, I'm a busy actor and have no idea if I'm available!"

"Great you are SO hired!"

"No I am SO not hired!"

"Well you WOULD be!"

"That is SO good enough for me!"

"Thank you! You can SO have a great day!"

"May be and may be NOT! I will SO check!"

"I'm putting the phone down now"

"Not sure if I am available for you to do that but you can SO ...."

CLICK

"Mmmmm. Interesting. I give GREAT PHONE!"

Distant cough

"Are you still there? I have a window ..er ...on Friday ..about 12. After, we could have lunch?"
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Quote:
I've never lost a job for being too busy.

That you KNOW of. Sarcastic

Bob— it's different with Audio books. Those producers require a pound of flesh, and if it seems like you have a lot of irons on the fire, they may not trust that you'll have time to devote to their deadlines.

Well, possibly?? My agent has a fiduciary responsibility to present all job offers no matter my schedule. There have been many times where I've been crazed, but never has a buyer passed because of it. And if they did, my agent would legally have to tell me. Now, I don't do audio books, but that's by choice, not as per my schedule.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Concerned Near Washington DC,

Hey, most of us nowhere near DC are really concerned right now too. But leaving that aside....

My question, born of the ignorance of being here in my shoes and not there in yours, is why couldn't you have carved out the time to do an audition? Most book auditions I've done are 3 to 5 minutes long. The whole process for me, reading, studying, narrating, editing and maybe refining takes a half hour and usually less. If you had screaming deadlines then never mind, but like Jello, there should always be room for a quick audition.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
PETER.E

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me I am not in your league but aiming to be.... However, I have a list of questions from the very first mail..... and the very first question is... when is your deadline? be it audition or job....

I think letting the client know that you are in demand is very important and that you are willing to work around them shows flexibility to react to there needs, I agree with Bruce... taking the 5 min moment for the audition would have been worth the break, after all, the other things were happening till the middle of the night, would finishing those jobs at 2:35 am or 2:45am made a difference?

That said, it still is amazing who is in a rush and who is willing to take the time to listen to everyone especially to a Talent with a full schedule... the job or jobs in place of that one will be better for you. Don't lose sleep on it and stop working with no sleep. GO to bed..... Cheers !

HUMBLED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS
VOICE THING...

www.petereglitis.com
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all need to Google "delusions of adequacy".

Auditions - Do 'em, don't do 'em. Very simple choice.

Copy n Paste

"Dear Dave,

Great to hear from you and thanks for the opportunity. Unfortunately I have no availability until after luncheon on Armistice Day (damn this wretched war).

Hugs n passionate kisses

Field Marshal Douglas Haig, 1st Earl Haig, KT, GCB, OM, GCVO, KCIE, Commander British Expeditionary Force, Western Front"

People looking for a voice just want your voice at their price. If they want educating they'll go to college, if they want your life story they'll buy your autobiography.

https://youtu.be/s6EaoPMANQM?t=56
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THanks for the balance all round.

i think my take-away on this is there's really NO reason to take days to get 2 pages out the door... looking back, indeed I coulda done that just before the marathon launched.
... and Regardless of the Nice Words about "sure Sunday Is Fine!" .... it wasn't.

Sleep has happened.
I am more learned.

The world continues to turn, circling the Sun, which circles the Milky Way galaxy, which circles the local group, which moves through ... all this damned DUST....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: