VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facetube - Not for me.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Facetube - Not for me. Reply with quote

I was going to keep on keeping on until I had been on the site for two years - Mid August 2018. It was a Thursday mid August 2016 when I signed up for Mr Buggerburgers enterprise. Quentin was in the larder eating Gala Pie and singing Bach, Maman was throwing a pot by the warmth of her Kiln. The horses were restless and ate none of their spaghetti.

"I shall Facetube 'pon this very day" I shouted

"That's nice, dear one" mother replied flicking pieces of moist clay at the poor people who walked by the lodge on their way to Mr Tesco's boutique.

It was never going to last.

Decision made on the evening of 27th Feb. We were in room 104 of The Bernini Palace Hotel, Florence. I was the only Englishman in the room. M'colleagues were getting worked up about various issues regarding posts on Dave, the politics of "likes" and does one unfriend a friend who has wronged a friend with whom one would like to remain friends. I launched into a spontaneous "stand-up" routine about Audio Book Narrators being the scum of the earth and as I talked I posted something to that effect, not serious, I don't believe that at all. After much Chianti and laughter I voted with my metaphorical feet. I am now compelled to walk around with a bell shouting "unclean, unclean, unclean". Twixt thee n me, I feel cleansed. Have a good evening and a wonderful week.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully sympathize! The bad versus good ratio of using FB heads further South just about daily for me. The mind suck and time suck issues are tough when I don’t have a lot of either to spare these days.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem, if I may be so bold, was that you had an expectation of your audience. That expectation wasn't necessarily for them to agree with you or find your observations enlightening or entertaining (and probably totally missing the subliminal neo-trotskyite propaganda) ... but at least to have the good sense to not watch with the sole purpose of feeling outraged with the willfully predetermined position of wanting to be so. Me... I expect nothing and am never disappointed. Facetube is a cesspool of fragile egos and posturing... with a liberal sprinkling of self-aggrandisement and five-year VO veterans trying to sell shit to newbies. I'm pretty close to an exodus myself... but I'd miss my daily "who can I annoy today" ritual.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great place for sharing adventures and warnings. I still like it, but I curate the hell out of what I see. I already know what I think of my politics and business and I know that discussing it there is not likely to change minds.

I do not have time for shite as a fella said.
On the other hand, I do have time for friends. So between here and there, I have sufficient camaraderie.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
The problem, if I may be so bold, was that you had an expectation of your audience.

Probably the what's wrong with the Facetube approach. I knew I didn't have an audience, 53 people on my Friends list. But so many believe they DO and that they are broadcasters, Facetube Celebrities with a world of "Ordinary People" crying out for their content. They are not!

In the past I have seen so many pieces to camera from the driver's seat of her car that I felt honour bound to remind Trish her Nissan Insult NBG was due for a service.

My profile was based upon the "Randall and Hopkirk (deceased)" model.

"No one else can see or hear me. Only you Jeff, only you"

Most take a commercial approach to Facetube, some deliberately the majority by accident - crowd following.

Commercial approach - Try to work out what people want and exploit that for either financial gain or egotistical gain.

Creative or real world approach - Create something and put it out there without a thought as to whether people like it, buy it or actually HATE IT with a passion.

Last Monday night in a hotel room in Florence during a conversation about nothing at all I launched into a 20 minute "stand up comedy routine" about Audiobook Narrators and radio imaging voices. The room was full of laughter and Chianti. Did I really believe what I was saying? Not a word.

When she's around, Dave (Tessa) n me create utter nonsense on video. Last night, for all our efforts, not a single Oscar!

'scuse me, I need to go and create, for an audience of zero. I know, wildly optimistic.
Tre M.
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer...I appreciated your truth in cheek approach. It was refreshing. I am subscribed to your Vimeo though. And Skype.

Source Connect: http://source-connect.com/tremovo
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dropped out of society 1/11/11. do know, even though you close your account - it's all still there. if you ever log back in - there it lies like a cyber time capsule in a shoebox under zuckerbergs bed. when i broke up with facetube, i took the time to delete every post, every picture, every comment. i unfriended every friend in ceremonial fashion, leaving DW for last. i am seven years sober.

Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

todd ellis wrote:
i unfriended every friend in ceremonial fashion,

I still haven't recovered. (sniff). Wink
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the funny thing --- i heard from ONE PERSON out of 500+ asking if they'd pissed me off somehow. other than that, i slipped quietly into the unknown. i will always appreciate that one person for that.

Art
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on it all the time because it's everyone you know in one convenient place.

The cons, though, are that for one, you become aware whether people are original thinkers or not. As time has passed people have stopped posting their own thoughts and almost 100% rely on reposting graphics from some web site that they feel perfectly articulate their own disposition and beliefs. I'd rather see a picture of someone's hamburger than a meme that says, "I'm outspoken and unpredictable -- just like this graphic I found on some website says."

When political season hits I never ceased to be amazed how if someone else posts their opinion they're just practicing their free speech rights, but if I post my opinion of their opinion, I'm being a contrarian and troublemaker. I see silliness on both sides, but rather than gelling with both sides I tend to tick both sides off. So I stay out of it the best I can.

Also causes a bit of a twinge when you see someone is on their sixth exotic vacation of the year. The first five were fine, but now it's getting out of hand.

But did I say I largely enjoy it?
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art wrote:
... it's everyone you know in one convenient place.
Yeah... that to me is the reason not to be there Smile

I post little to no personal updates or info. I inhabit the VO groups... and to be honest, the keepers needs to go in and clear out the accumulated poo.
ConnieTerwilliger
Triple G

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of us who were here with you at the time knew what was happening. We were just glad you stayed here...
PETER.E

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be read as Morgan Freeman

1. O you, yes you...... was the part of my morning ritual... to see what Philip would have to say and how, he would say it. FT will never be the same...

2. This is my first post here and I also wanted to thank Bruce for his warm welcome.

3. Also thank you Philip for reminding me of this site for a sea of information.

4. To the rest of you, I hope I don't ask too many stupid questions and I will do my best to think before writing.

5. Now , back to being awesome. ......well, trying to be.

HUMBLED TO BE ABLE TO DO THIS
VOICE THING...

www.petereglitis.com

Last edited by PETER.E on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dearest friend asked me "WHY?"

I replied thus,

"I opted out because watching a new vacuum cleaner being delivered to a Hispanic feather salesman would've been more rewarding and exciting."
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least I'm in good company. I deactivated my FB account a few weeks ago. Let's just say I no longer want to participate in the largest Dunning–Kruger experiment in history. I'm tired and miss my family.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: