VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PROFESSIONAL... wtf?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: PROFESSIONAL... wtf? Reply with quote

This is likely the single most remarkable lesson I have found, mostly because it purports to, and I believe DOES, actually, coherently, comprehensively, clearly (and brutally-amusingly) nail the idea of what the hell one is supposed to understand about what one DOES..

John August is a damned-decent pro writer of real screenplays and other good things.

I pass this to students (US High-school and up, cruel as that is) and see who gets it...

(Me? I'm STILL working to get it THOROUGHLY...
Mr. Bergen... hell ALL of you here... help slam it into my nose repeatedly.
Needs to be done. Thanks.)

https://johnaugust.com/2006/professional-writing-and-the-rise-of-the-amateur
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I would love to read a writer's 45 minute speech on writing, I have much reading and writing already scheduled. Is there a Cliff's Notes summary version out there?

Thanks,

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
JohnV
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may have been a 45 minute SPEECH...
but the read-time is --way-- less...
and I really like August's style and dead-pro-teaching approach.
In My Not-So-Humble Opinion: well worth the read.

basic summation: the man nails the idea of what PROFESSIONALISM means in reality. Something I find both unusual, and long-overdue.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nutshell:

"I don’t mean to be Mr. Doom and Gloom. If you feel like writing 1500 words about your cat in your blog, go for it. I’m just asking you, pleading with you, to spellcheck. Mr. Whiskers deserves it. Tuck in your virtual shirt and take even the frivolous stuff seriously."
gklee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Good read! Reply with quote

Hi JohnV, thanks for sharing this. I think it's a very good take on what it means to be a professional. I've lost count of the number of people I've come across who think that all it takes to be a professional is to simply be a snazzy dresser.

Funny coincidence regarding this, I happened across this thread the same time at that I was listening to a recent ID10T podcast interview with John August.

If you're interested, here is the link:

https://art19.com/shows/id10t

You'll have to scroll down just a bit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: