VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preamps, mics and other useful stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mainstreetprod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Preamps, mics and other useful stuff Reply with quote

I am in the process of building the "perfect" small budget setup (isn't everyone?) and would like to know if anyone is using some or all of this equipment:

Studio Projects VTB-1 tube preamp ($119 street)
AKG Perception 200 shockmount/condensor mic ($150)
M-audio Fastrack Pro USB interface

I am especially interested in experiences with the preamp- do not have it
yet. 9 out of 10 reviews of it on the 'net (from individuals) are very favorable- supposedly very low noise with great warm tone. Many say that nothing under $1000 beats it. What do you think?

Fred
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VTB-1 is a decent pre amp. I had one for a while. It worked fine. It ended up on eBay when a VoiceMaster Pro came along. I also had a AKG Perception 100 (the little brother to the 200). It lacked some top end presence. In the price range, the CAD Global Audio GXL2400 is a good little mic. They can be had for around $80.

If you're considering the M-Audio interface, you can probably skip the VTB-1. The FastTrack Pro comes with a pre and phantom power. In that price range, there probably isn't a large difference in sound quality between the two.

Now, if you're set on getting a VTB-1, you'll want to make sure that you can bypass the M-Audio pre. You wouldn't want a mic pre into another mic pre.
Mainstreetprod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveanthony wrote:
The VTB-1 is a decent pre amp. I had one for a while. It worked fine. It ended up on eBay when a VoiceMaster Pro came along. I also had a AKG Perception 100 (the little brother to the 200). It lacked some top end presence. In the price range, the CAD Global Audio GXL2400 is a good little mic. They can be had for around $80.

If you're considering the M-Audio interface, you can probably skip the VTB-1. The FastTrack Pro comes with a pre and phantom power. In that price range, there probably isn't a large difference in sound quality between the two.

I already have the Fastrack Pro. I was going to get the VTB-1 for the "tube warmth" factor and a better preamp, supposedly, than the Fastrack has built in.

Now, if you're set on getting a VTB-1, you'll want to make sure that you can bypass the M-Audio pre. You wouldn't want a mic pre into another mic pre.

Interesting.... I don't think it is bypassable. May have to rethink this one.
What mic would you upgrade to if you had say $3-400 to spend?
[/b]
steveanthony
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $299, the Studio Electronics se2200a is decent. Studio Projects is another line that has good mics reasonably priced.
CWToo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a preamp or a microphone has a tube, that doesn't mean that it has "tube warmth" (other than temperature). Bearinger was infamous for offering a preamp with a tube that just glowed... the only part of the tube that was wired up was the filament so you could see it glow. Real tube warmth comes from expensive tube preamps and mics. Cheap tube preamps and mics generally give you more noise rather than warmth.

My “system” is a decent microphone connected to an Mbox, connected to a laptop. Most of the money went into making the recording environment sound better. A great sounding room will make your recordings sound better than any tube would.

By the way, my mother-in-law has a GREAT sounding room. It's about 18x18 and the walls are covered with books, wall-to-wall carpet on the floor and an accoustic tile ceiling. Oof-dah! What a sound.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it must be her library!

At home, you don't have to whisper.
CWToo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
Sounds like it must be her library!

It's filled with religious tomes. Must be why it sounds holy not hollow.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: try the Marshal MXL V69 M tube mic Reply with quote

I have two of the V69's. Good sound for about $300 with all Mogami wiring. Don't a need a tube pre-amp with it either.

My studio is a librabry with floor to ceiling books shelves, sprayed accoustical ceiling and wall to wall carpet. Who needs Auralex when you're a book-aholic.

Greg
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you gotta have tube in that price range, a Rode NTK works well. Then when you get the money switch out the stock tube with a Mullard or Telefunken and it'll really make ya smile.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An audio tech on another gear forum suggested this lower price vocal chain:
Shure SM7. A $150 Rane MS-1b preamp into a $225 FMR RNLA leveling amplifier,
A Heil PR-20 or 30 or 40 dynamic mic would be considerbly less expensive and will knock you out for quality sound.
All that into your MAudio should be a pretty competent package.

As suggested before, the mic straight into the MAudio's preamps and tweak post edit with software works great for lots o' folks.
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:
An audio tech on another gear forum suggested this lower price vocal chain:
Shure SM7. A $150 Rane MS-1b preamp into a $225 FMR RNLA leveling amplifier,
A Heil PR-20 or 30 or 40 dynamic mic would be considerbly less expensive and will knock you out for quality sound.
All that into your MAudio should be a pretty competent package.

As suggested before, the mic straight into the MAudio's preamps and tweak post edit with software works great for lots o' folks.

The SM7>MS-1b>RNC would also be nice. The RNC is cheaper than the RNLA and is really transparent in SuperNice mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: