VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voicebank Closes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Voicebank Closes Reply with quote

Just got this from Terry Berland

Voice Over Industry: News and Changes
Goodbye Voicebank!

The premier voice over breakdown and delivery service, Voicebank.net, has shut down as of February 1st, 2018. We are sad to see VoiceBank go, as they have used this service as their delivery and reference system for thousands of voice-over casting since it's inception.

Terry Berland Casting will continue casting voice over through her direct contacts with Voice-Over Agents and/or Casting Networks, Actors Access and various other online posting services.
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news, Lincoln was assassinated. Sarcastic
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happens all the time. Company A buys Company B simply so it can be closed. Gain from closure of B far exceeds the losses from buying it in the first place.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the question is will V.com try to implement the payment model through their system from producers and agents to claim a % for processing as a paymaster?
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:
I guess the question is will V.com try to implement the payment model through their system from producers and agents to claim a % for processing as a paymaster?

They will for non union. They cannot for union as we have protections within both the union and our collective bargained buyers to prevent this. This acquisition is a much bigger threat to the non union vo industry than it is to union. That said, the VDC business model is to steer as many buyers to non union as possible.

The entire vo industry is on this! From ALL agents to the union. Stay tooned!!
Lee Gordon
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Bergen wrote:
They cannot for union as we have protections within both the union and our collective bargained buyers to prevent this.

Eddie asked it they will try. I suspect they will attempt to somehow game the system to their advantage. Will they succeed? Hopefully not, but my guess is, they will try.
Twitter: @LeeGordonVoice
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VDC plan was (supposedly) to buy Voicebank and assimilate them to gain access to their agents, their rosters, and their clients. The agents were a necessary evil and (in many ways) never likely to put up with their shit. The clients were the prize... and once in their clutches (as Bob says) the union work could be hi-jacked, made non-union, and be eligible for the 80% skimming (rather than the more modest and reasonable returns expected by a legitimate union agent).

The agents have acted as expected (yay!) and banded together in a way VOs can only dream about, forming the VOAA (Voice Over Agents Alliance). Add to that the inception of The Voice Casting Hub to fill the vacuum caused by the negation of Voicebank as an independent agency (and the VOAA's support of the new site)... and we are seeing agents leave the old VB/VDC entity... and for the most part, taking their rosters and clients with them.

OK... I may be looking at this through slightly rose-tinted glasses, but there's no denying that when VDC took over the VB agents, they listed over 200... today, they list 84... and I know some of them are bogus... but I guess it's like trying to cancel an AOL subscription... we know the pain a lot of VOs went through to get off the VDC lists.

If I was Morgan Stanley, I may be wondering if I'd backed a winner.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee Gordon wrote:

Eddie asked it they will try. I suspect they will attempt to somehow game the system to their advantage. Will they succeed? Hopefully not, but my guess is, they will try.

Survey said....ding ding ding. Correct. What's to stop them from becoming a paymaster like Payroll Services or GEP Talent Services, etc? These paymasters don't process for free. I think V wants more volume running through their pay system.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddie Eagle wrote:
What's to stop them from becoming a paymaster like Payroll Services or GEP Talent Services, etc?
One of the reasons is that they hold the union in utter disdain and all talks have ended up with VDC wanting to know how the union can serve them. The other reason is that if they do things "officially" they will not legally have access to 80% of the clients' money (their business model... and their DNA). Playing the 10% game is not what they do... even their Surepay bullshit (i.e. commission) on the occasional non-managed jobs is 20%. They are not interested. They don't want a slice of the pie... they want the whole damned thing... and let the talent beg for crumbs.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bish wrote:
If I was Morgan Stanley, I may be wondering if I'd backed a winner.

They don't care as it was a package they put together for investors who paid fees as did VDC.

Without the support of the union, the agents, a Dutchman and the Vegas Voice Over Club (smoking and drinking Port compulsory) the Canadians are left with 65,000 registered voice people or people with voices who thanks to the fight for justice have no voice. These 66,000 individuals, just went to the lavatory and checked as I, don't ask, will be exploited until both hoarse and bankrupt then sold to a Madam in Broadstairs. Check out VO-Between the Satin sheets.com to see some familiar faces in lingerie.
Bish
3.5 kHz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course... you are right. Morgan Stanley's investment in VDC was taken as a very personal thing by many in the VO community. We foolishly imagined that they were backing VDC (the company)... when they were actually backing VDC (the sales pitch, the numbers, and the hype). For us to imagine that MS had any interest or knowledge (or interest in knowledge) about the business that is VO was a tad hubristic of us.

They don't care.... Nobody cares.
There is nothing to care about in the grand scheme of things. It's all a diversion to occupy ourselves as the world goes to hell (or Broadstairs, which is a close approximation) in a handbasket.

Politics and business machinations within the VO industry are ultimately as important as sports... they serve no earthly purpose that I can imagine, but many find them important and/or entertaining. At least the spectators don't paint their faces yet... but it's coming. Believe me, it's coming.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still need PROPER Cheerleaders! We already have enough Kellys to supply our meagre needs. They could wave pop shields instead of pom-poms. Of course we would need to weed out any French speakers as they could be spies for ...SCHTUM!
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They don't care.... Nobody cares.

that is SO funny. i wake up, look in the mirror and say this EXACT thing ... EVERY day.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But would you volunteer to be a Team Voiceoverist Cheerleader? I would and I hereby do so. I am now Kelly-Philip Banks of the Mikettes.

Next volunteer please.

I mean "Yo top tear, c'mom over here! The Mikettes need you now so let's have you volunteer! Yah voiceoverists! Woot woot woot woot GO Kellys!"
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimme a VEEEEEE
gimme an OOOOOOOO

... now try it again - but make it bolder without being loud.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: